babysitting friends cat and cant find him

Aima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i got my friends cat last night. He's a blue Russian cat. We put his stuff in the basement, got him familiar with litter box and his food which seeme untouched. I live in a singe family house and ive looked everywhere in the basement. I dont know if he left the house if thats even possible but basement door wasnt opened.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats are extremely good at hiding inside when they want to, and a cat who has been left with someone that he is not as familiar with would certainly be a candidate for having done this. I’m not saying any of this is your fault. My own indoor cats have done the same thing even in their own house and you need to start to look in extremely unlikely places, small places, under all furniture, if there’s any equipment or heating in the basement look around there.

Having said that, it would probably be a good idea to see if absolutely everything was secured or if there was a way he may have gotten up the stairs and out and then start mounting a search in the neighborhood if you don’t find him.

if you think that he is inside to put out food that he likes or even try to tempt him with food that is not usually his own, including human food and shake bags of treats, or get one of his toys, or anything that might make him come out.

Also, remember that if he is in the house or even in the basement, he’s watching you and he may be moving as you’re looking for him, which makes this a little more complicated.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully you have a finished ceiling in the basement as it's possible he got up in the floor joists of the 1st floor which will make it more difficult to locate him.

How long are you cat sitting for?