babyish cat behavior

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help!

My cat has suddenly decided to become a baby again.

About a year ago we found an abandoned calico cat, and since we couldn't find her a home, we adopted her. Of course she came with some surprise kittens, and we ended up keeping two of those too (the kittens are female ). Back then she seemed perfectly normal and happy.

Now out of the blue our darling Calico has decided to become a baby. She sleeps on the pillow beside my head and makes little protest meows that sound like a very young kitten if I try to move her back to her bed. If I brush my teeth she jumps on my shoulder and starts grooming my hair. If I sit down she snuggles on my lap and buries her head in my armpit. More often than not she starts suckling at my clothes. Before grooming her was a difficult proposition, now she lets me do whatever I want, including washing her chin (has a bit of acne) and cleaning her ears and nails.

No changes have occurred in her environment. The two kittens have more or less stabilized in an adolescent phase, we feed her the same food, and my husband works at home, so he's around the same amount of time.

Her new behavior is getting overwhelming, and I'm worried because my kitty's character has changed so much, so suddenly. Does anybody have an idea about what might be going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It just seems weird that she went from normal to super infantile overnight.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you ever get your calico spayed? Often cats become super lovey when they are in heat

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asking about the spay status of the kitty was my first thought, too. If she is not spayed, please do get her done soon, or you will be faced with more kittens.

Hurray for you for rescuing this unwanted kitty and caring for her kittens. All of them should be spayed.

As for her behavior, if she is already spayed, this behavior just means she is beginning to feel comfortable in her forever home and is letting her nurturing personality shine through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to save up to get all three cats spayed. Even the local animal protector society is a bit expensive when it comes to female cats. Right now they're all female, and strictly apartment cats...and their "boyfriend" down the hall is neutered.

I'm pretty sure its not that she's in heat, because when she's in heat she screams bloody murder and scrabbles at the door. I think it might be stress, but I have no idea what the cause would be.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stress would be unconsummated heat cycles.

Rather than trying to save enough to do all three, it really would be better to get the mama done right now. then save for the next, then the next.

(by the way, indoor unspayed cats have a way of getting out, so you can't count on that as birth control
)