Baby Shower Etiquette

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Myself - a shower is to celebrate the birth of that particular child - no reason not to throw one, no matter whether it's the first, or fifth. It's a welcome to the baby - not a time to evaluate the parents, IMO.

Also, a lot of people have multiple showers (work, friends, family - just depends). And, not all gifts have to be huge - most parents can use a few new onsies, for example.

I guess I just like babies.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Myself - a shower is to celebrate the birth of that particular child - no reason not to throw one, no matter whether it's the first, or fifth. It's a welcome to the baby - not a time to evaluate the parents, IMO.

Also, a lot of people have multiple showers (work, friends, family - just depends). And, not all gifts have to be huge - most parents can use a few new onsies, for example.

I agree with this and not just because I'm currently expecting.

All of the big items I registered for are gender neutral because we don't know if our next child will be a girl or boy.

There's no reason to not keep those items for a second baby when we're not going to wait several years, but if our second child is a boy, it'd be nice to celebrate that too. Especially with all the pink baby clothes we're going to have.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of a diaper shower, especially if it is for someone at work, where both males and females are invited. You can get any size box of disposable diapers in any size (except maybe preemie) and they will all be used and appreciated, and no one is going to judge you based on labels or how much you spend. This would also work for a "second" baby shower too if someone feels obligated to throw one.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Thank you for this breath of fresh air!