baby kitty behavior

gingita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

If she is an only kitten...you may want to get her a buddy at some point.

http://www.pawschicago.org/PetCare/catsinpairs.htm

Katie
Dear Katie,

my neighbor and I both adopted a two and half week old kitten from a litter when they were found between the fences in his big backyard, before the rest were taken to a shelter. I felt very bad after reading that they should not be seperated at such young age. Even though I spend several hours a day everyday just to be with mine, I can tell that there's not much I can interest her, besides feeding, petting, and play scratch and bite with her. (Oh, she DOES like to climb on me and rub her face on mine while we hang out in her nursery.) She's not interested in little colorful balls nor fish rod toys. She has a beanie baby fish, which she sleeps and bites.

I will try to visit my neighbor more often - we are good friends - and my question is, how much time should I leave my kitten to play with theirs in order for them both to be, less lonely? I also have another friend who has an older female cat at home and she is tender by character, too. Should I try to bring my kitten to meet this older cat so she could have certain "role model?"

sincerely,

gingita from PHL

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
gingita, how old is the kitten now? At 2 1/2 weeks, the kitten will need a lot of care as you have to do everything the mom-cat would do. The web site www.kitten-rescue.com is an excellent source of information on hand-raising kittens. It sounds like she is too young for toys at the moment, she will become interested in them at around 4 weeks. As long as both kittens are healthy, you can let your kitten play with your neighbors for a couple of hours each day, although if she is under four weeks or so, there won't be much playing, more companionship. I have raised many single kittens and they've been fine. At this point, it's probably not a good idea to introduce the kitten to an older cat but again, when she is arund 4 weeks, you can see if the older cat is interested in her. Be very careful with the introductions. This would be of benefit as there is no better teacher of litter-box and other manners than another cat as long as the kitten is not carrying any parasites or diseases that she could pass onto the older cat and vice versa.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another suggestion is for either you or your neighbor to hand-raise the kittens together so that they have the companionship of each other which is very important for kittens. When they are around 8-9 weeks they can then go to live in their new home.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kristine, when a kitten has what looks like dandruff, it can sometimes mean that she is dehydrated.

Two ways to check for dehydration:

Pinch test: Lightly pinch the scruff of the cat's neck. Release...the skin should fold down to normal in seconds. If any portion of the skin remains tented- the cat is in need of sub cu fluids. The higher the peak that stays tented, the more urgent the need to get the cat to a vet.

Gum test: Wash your hands. If the cat will let you, gently pry up her lip. Take your finger and gently press on the gum. Release...the gum should turn white for just a second, but pink up as soon as you release your finger. If the gum stays pale, the cat needs fluids.

(Thank you hissy for that quote
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snk112103

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. We brought Puma to the vet today and it turned out that she has earmites and roundworms. =( I have a feeling her first 4 weeks were rough because today when I was brushing her I found a patch of dandruff on her arm. I brushed it with a flea comb until it was all gone, and what I was left with was this round patch. I asked the vet and he said that she used to have ringworm. He said it looks like the pet store treated it and new fur's already growing. Hopefully she recovers from the roundworms. Vet said it's not serious... I just don't like the thought of her pooping spaghetti-like worms. Anyway, I just thought I should update everybody on how she's doing. Take care everyone!

qtkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of mill animals have diseases and "paracites". It is pretty comon.

If i am not mistaken there are mills for every type of animal that humans are interested in that will breed in lower conditions then they really should have. So rabbits and other mamals are probuly just as prone to "puppy" mills. But the largest mill population would still be puppies and dogs.

I think that its sad .. we had our rabbit give birth to baby bunnies .. and i just want to keep all of them because i am to afraid to give or sell them because i do not want to accidentally give them to a family that after a month or 2 will not want them any more.. * sighs* and they are so sweet and lovable .. i don't know how someone could mass produce animals in horrible conditions .. maybe i am a softy.