Baby Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzyshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If
Untreated fleas can kills kittens very easily. These kittens need medical attention for their eyes as well. These should not be expensive appointments.
I take them to a vet, then he's going to want to charge to have them vaccinated besides treating their eyes.
I will try your suggestion, I don't want them to die, like other kittens have under my deck.Thank you for replying .

Yes please.
I bathed both kittens in warm water and dawn dish detergent, it took some doing but I think I got all the fleas off, right now their in a cat carrier laying on an old furry nighty shirt I used to wear. I bathed their eyes, and now their eating soft kitten food from a can and drinking milk. Soon as we get the eye infection under control, we'll post pics on my fb page, for anyone who might want one or the other. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help, it was greatly appreciated.

suzyshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clean the kitten's eye with warm water and cottonballs (you can use a cloth but you have to be more careful because cloth is a bit scratchy). Hold the damp cottonball over her eye until the goop softens and can be wiped away. Do this as often as you need to, to keep the eye open. If it gets crusted shut for too long she may lose the eye. I have 2 cats who lost eyes to untreated eye infections as kittens :/. The terramycin will clear it up much faster but if you keep the eyes clean the infection may clear on its own. Most kitten ailments are caused simply by lack of care. So just keeping them warm, well-fed, and clean will be a huge improvement. But absolutely don't let her eyes stay crusted shut. A bath with Dawn dish soap will drown most of the fleas. And I think they're old enough to use a decent flea medication. You could split an adult-sized tube of Advantage or Frontline among all the kittens.

She looks to be at least 6 or 7 weeks old so I think you'd be OK removing them from the mother at this point. And at this age they're probably safe from snakes, unless you have boa constrictors in the area ;). Although of course there are all kinds of other predators, even more so now that the kittens are old enough to be playing around. Cars are a big danger at this age.
I did what u suggested, used cotton balls to get goop off their eyes,I will get the terramycin for
their eyes,I hope it's not too late to save their eye sight. The one kitty's eyes don't look to bad, they were just weepy, I will try to keep their eyes open. The other kitty I'm not too sure about, it might be too late to save her eyes, they have like a film in the corner of her eye, but it's not shut. I'm hoping I got to them in time . Thank you for your suggestions.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can see her eyeball, it's not too late :). She may have a cloudy eye if the infection caused scarring but won't be totally blind. Good job!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe this group can help you: ccde Or point you in the right direction. It says they work out of foster homes; so maybe if you can foster they have some resources to help with their eyes and eventually getting into homes. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Getting and using the terramycin 2 times a day for a week will make all the difference!

Thank you for helping these poor babies.

Are they eating well?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find a clinic, the prices aren't too bad, only $16 each for the rabies and distemper vaccines.

suzyshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can see her eyeball, it's not too late :). She may have a cloudy eye if the infection caused scarring but won't be totally blind. Good job!
I will continue to bathe their eyes, and maybe see how much my vet will charge to see them.

suzyshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Getting and using the terramycin 2 times a day for a week will make all the difference!

Are they eating well?
Yes they are eating well, and already using a makeshift litter box, neither kittens eyes are closed, just weepy, I hope I got to their eyes in time.

suzyshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Are they eating well?
How can u put ointment on open eyes, I could see it if they were closed, but there not??Yes they are eating very well. They are eating soft can food, and some milk, but the milk seems to be making their poop really soft. Do u know when I should stop giving them milk, and just continue the food??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats should not drink cow's milk. They cannot digest the lactose so it causes diarrhea. Do not give them anymore.

You can give them kitten formula, which Walmart and pet stores sell. You can also give them goat's milk.

With terramycin, you put it on your finger and swipe it across the eyes so that the ointment goes into the eyes.

Can you get terramycin?

suzyshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats should not drink cow's milk. They cannot digest the lactose so it causes diarrhea. Do not give them anymore.

You can give them kitten formula, which Walmart and pet stores sell. You can also give them goat's milk.

With terramycin, you put it on your finger and swipe it across the eyes so that the ointment goes into the eyes.

Can you get terramycin?
Ok I will stop the milk and get the kitten formula, I will have to send for the terramycin online.. Thank you for the info.

suzyshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get the PetAg powdered kitten formula in the can. Then you mix it with water in the amounts you need. Do not buy the pre-mixed liquid.

Here are a couple of links for ordering terramycin:

Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment for Cats: Eye health: Cat Eye Care: Eye Ointment
I got the formula, and I just received the Terramycin thru the mail.How do I go about applying the ointment to the kitty's eyes, sometimes her eyes are opened and sometimes there closed?This ointment stuff is not cheap considering the little vial it comes in. Thanks for any replies .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You only use a tiny bit at a time because a little bit goes a long way.

Be careful not to squeeze the tube much because a long squiggle will come out almost of its own accord.

With clean hands, put a pea-sized amount on your index finger and gently swipe across each eye, being careful not to touch the eyeball.

It will be messy, but applying it 2-3 times a day for 5-7 days should clear the eyes.

Have you tried the formula yet?