Baby Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

collin1152

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
everythings looking good with the kitten he's put on weight except he wont eat any soft cat foods that we give him he ate cooked salmon once and he loved it but he wont eat cat food.

jbsmomto1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Collin1152

everythings looking good with the kitten he's put on weight except he wont eat any soft cat foods that we give him he ate cooked salmon once and he loved it but he wont eat cat food.
Hi, coming into this late but I do have experience as I work with a rescue for bottle feeders. When I have wee ones resistant to even try cat food, I get a small baby spoon and put a little in their mouths, your fingers will work as well but since I am a smoker I am not comfortable sticking my fingers in someone else's mouth (human or animal). It sometimes takes a bit but they do finally get it. Moms leave the nest for longer peroids of time to teach the babies to be on their own, after watching mom they know that its food but if mom isn't there or hasn't been there to teach than its kinda like speaking only german to an only english speaking person.....I find i have much better luck if I don't let them get a little hungry, they are less likely to experiment if their tummies are empty, on a full tummy they will play with it, walk through it than clean themselves up.

Singletons are harder to raise just b/c they do not have anyone to show them what a cat does, its up to us humans and I am not about to eat cat food or use a box to show them. It takes a little longer but they will catch on. Could also try putting kmr into a shallow dish and letting him lap it up, when he is proficient at that add a bit of canned food, just a small bit at a time. He may readily accept more if the smell is more familiar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

collin1152

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update,,,,,,,,,,,,,The kitten eats food but there is a pest problem little bugs under her fur that scatter quickly when i tried to take them off.They dont jump or anything they just move.When i gave her a bath i saw like 3 of them moving.Not sure what it is but its bad.BTW i believe the cats an rare egyptian mau.Its about 3 months old now.But this pest problem is getting to me.I doint know what to do because i've never had a cat with this problem.Veterinary is very expensive and i only want that as a absolute last resort so help please

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just fleas, no big deal. Get a flea comb and comb those suckers out (put them in a cup of soapy water to drown them). Are spot-on products like Frontline, Advantage, or Stronghold available in your area? If so, those are very effective and reasonably safe. A vet might sell them to you without seeing the kitty, or maybe you can find them in a pet store. If you can order online you can find better prices.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do a search in the Care& Grooming section for Diatomaceous earth. It's the safest thing you can use without going to a vet.
I've never used it, so can't give instructions, but many of our members have.