Baby deer - and questions....

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so sad and I'm sorry. At least because of you, the baby didn't die all alone out there.

big kat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Scott I'm sorry for the outcome of this. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab center and we've gotten more calls for baby deer in the past few months than they've had in the past few years. It seems to always be an extremely tough call on whether and when to disturb the baby. We have 5 currently at our shelter, but started with 7, all from different situations. They are so hard raise in shelters and unfortunately their chances are really so slim. We are actually lucky to have 5 since they will do much better in a group than if we were trying to rehab just one, though naturally we wish we hadn't had to take any of them in the first place. Most of them were picked up by people and brought either to us or into their homes and then called us, of course thinking they were doing what was best for the baby. We always ask that they be left alone for up to 24 hours if someone calls us before disturbing one, and so I think you did what was best. There was no way to know of any injury or sickness.

Anyway I am sorry, I know how hard it was for us to loose the two. One of them I personally rescued myself. Here's a photo