Babies are here!! They came during the Hurricane! In my bed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Of course, while this is a bit much for you now, imagine the stories you are going to have to tell later on of Ike and kittens, etc.
You are so right! It was really only a BIT too much when I woke up to a kitten and placenta on my bed, and the ensuing moments of making sure she is okay, and the stress of "OMG, what if something goes wrong with delivery! No Animal hospitals are open!" I just prayed and prayed that everyone would be healthy, so far so good.

Mom does have a bit of bloody discharge. I called our vet, she said as long as it wasn't green or smelly, that mom was up, walking, eating and drinking, that we didn't have anything to worry about. She said that if any of those things changed to bring mom and babies in ASAP.

Anyone have any experience or advice on that? It's the color of clotted blood, just small bits that she leaves behind when she sits. It lookes like it's getting less and less every day.

I just let mom out of the closet for a break and checked on the kittens. They are in a HUGE pile sleeping. Some were dreaming, some were suckling the air, others were trying to wiggle their way to a better spot in the pile. I am SOOOO in love!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its normal for a cat to have some discharge for a few days after giving birth - the vet is right.

Don't be afraid to handle the kittens a few times a day while mom watches. They will be more trusting of you before their eyes are open

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its normal for a cat to have some discharge for a few days after giving birth - the vet is right.

Don't be afraid to handle the kittens a few times a day while mom watches. They will be more trusting of you before their eyes are open
Oh we've been handling them alright! How can you keep your hands off!

Mom doesn't mind us holding them at all, and shows interest when they cry out, but doesn't freek out. It's like she knows they are in good hands. I will try to get my hubby to take more pics today.

They are a HUGE blessing. Without the babies, we would be SO incredibly board and focused on how miserable it is around here in Houston. But instead, we have a momma and her babies to focus on.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww!! They're all so very cute! Glad mom had a safe delivery during the midst of the storm. Can't imagine riding that out AND having to deal with a momma cat giving birth to babies at the same time!
Glad you're power is back on. That makes all the difference in the world as you can now run the AC, and living in Texas, we all know how important THAT is! Also glad you're safe as well.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The white ones have a different father. They may stay all white. But if they get color, it will be color point. And they could be either red, cream or possible tortie point (but I don't see any "second" color for a tortie) - so they would only be a red or cream point and that color takes longer to show up. Points will show around 3-4 weeks old if they are pointed.
It is possible that there was only one father. If the father was white, and he was heterozygous for the White gene (Ww) the probability is that the litter would throw 50% white kittens, but 5:2 isnt out of the realm of possibilities either.

So if the kittens do indeed turn out white, then the father was white, and if there was only one father, the white dad would genetically be Red underneath the white masking gene (Ww). So any kittens that were passed the recessive w-gene would therefore show up as reds.

If the kittens turn out to be pointed, it is still possible to only have one father. Since the pointed-gene is a recessive gene for pattern, both the mother and father would have to be carriers, but they dont necessarily have to be pointed themselves.

All that said, it's all a crap shoot, there very well may be two fathers involved. If any of the white kittens turn out to be seal points, and if any of the red kittens are females, you will know for CERTAIN that there were two fathers involved, as only a red male will produce a red female with your red momma cat. But a red male father could not produce black or seal point offspring when mated with your red mom.

Of course, not that any of it matters in the big scheme of things, but it's fun to guess!

The father could've also been a flame point, but my guess is that if that were true, she would've produced more pointed kittens, and less solids.

Anyway, if the white kittens turn out to be flame pointed, then the father was a red male. If the kittens remain white, then you know the father (at least one of them) was white.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey you might really want to think about namimg one Ike, I have a Charlie that we got the night of hurricane Charlie, and he has tried to live up to his name
Seriously they are adorable, can't wait to watch them grow up.