B&W kitten from a B&W mother, father?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If Y was a color gene too, you'd have a LOT more male torties/calicos! Male torties/calicos are XXY - meaning that color is only on the X - you'd have two X's one with red, one with black.
Your not listenign to me
. I'm not talking about red! Find me an example that does not use red. Red is the exception because it IS sex linked I"m nto denying that.

The reason red cats are used as examples in genetics classes is because they are special. It is one fo the few times in nature a true sex-linked gene has a visual characteristic.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That is why a XX female can have 2 colors and the XY male only one color.
Ok by your example you know that a male cat is red and a female can be mottled, or true red. Then why does this not hold up for every other color? The OP has a B&W cat. Have you ever seen a black and white male? I have. And they are quite common because they are not XXY. Your reasoning would have to say ALL male cats must be a single color. This case is only true for red. Every other color is not this way.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I understand the male is black/white (common); however the mother of that black and white male would have to either be a tortie (carrying the black gene and the red gene - one X is black, other X is red) OR a black herself.

If she is also black or black/white then she can only give the black (or blue if carrying the dilute) gene to all her males and females.

X STILL is the color carrier - no matter what color it is - black or red. Y never carriers the color.

It really doesn't matter about color per say - only that the X is the color gene and Y is the sex gene.

All males WOULD be a single color (given by the mother). Forget the white part as its separate - its not really considered a "color". White is an added thing. You can have an all white cat; but underneath that white cat - its carrying a color. White paints over the existing genetic color.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok yah I see about the white. And I think I see your point. I need to read more about this though. I found one article but it does not get detailed enough. So many of these focus on red. I understand the genetics of red, I want to know more about the others.

Ok there are only 2 real colors black or red. I get it.

This article, though basic, addressed by question almost directly:
http://druniverse.wsu.edu/QandA.asp?questionID=4174

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetically yes - only black and red - all other colors are produced by black/red.

You have modified genes that create the other colors. Genetically a brown tabby is "black" - that's why some call them black tabbies. But brown tabbies range from brown/black base to a warm toffee brown.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its all starting to come together! I need to get a feline genetics book... Its been so long since I've taken genetics and I have to take a 700-level genetics course in the spring. Feline genetics is so fascinating, granted it will have nothign to do with the course, but it will help me refresh on some terms I've long since forgotten

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

Father has to be black with white. There is an unlikely chance that he is tabby with white.

* If he were red, the female kitten would have to be a calico. Since she's not, he's black based.
* If he were dilute, the kittens would also have to be dilute. Dilute is recessive. (Additionally, the kittens are all black but carry blue from mom).
* If he were solid, the kittens would also be solid. Spotting is dominant. Since one kitten is not spotted, we also know he is heterozygous for spotted (ie: he is spotted, carrying solid)

The tabby is more difficult. He could be a heterozygous tabby (looks like a tabby, but carries non-tabby). However, this is unlikely. Tabby is dominant, so odds would have it that if he WAS tabby, half the kittens should be tabby. You can do the math to figure out the likelyhood, based upon how many kittens there were. But it sounds like more than four, so it's unlikely that he's tabby.
He could also be ALL white and carrying nonwhite, since white is dominant over all other colours.