Awww... so sad.... Vibes for this little guy please ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue can not take him.
Here is one no one is considering it yet, not even I was considering it until I spoke on the phone about this little guy to a person who has 30+ years of experience in rescuing cats (not in my state): This cat is probably not a stray - this is probably someone's cat who was not neutered, started spraying and was put outside when kitten season arrived and he started yowling and going nuts with all the females around the house.
This is too friendly of a cat to be a stray.... really.... It can also be a lost pet who escaped or something, but I highly doubt this is a stray...
I have never seen a cat this friendly - 3 of my 4 cats house cats are not that friendly with me! And that was out in the open!
He has not been around since I fed him, but I know he will come back - he's been around for the last week or so.... just never so close (to me).
Maybe he is the cat who has been screaming his head outside our windows for a while -I wrote another thread about it.
I live in a u-shaped building with a parking lot on the back, and a trail behind that parking lot. There is quite a space by the time you get to the street, and it is not that busy out here. The building is very VERY animal friendly (obviously); everyone has either cats and/or dogs.
It is definitely a relatively safe area - I need to think about this carefully.
I would love to have the space or the $$$ for him, but I don't, and there is a point you have to be responsible and know what you can deal with it. He broke my heart into a million pieces, but ALL my rooms are taken. Lucky has her own feeding station, and Gracie lives in separate quarters. I would never, ever risk their lives by bringing him in and not isolating him; and for now it is not possible.
My vet charges $$$ That I can't afford now. Low cost clinics? I checked the SPCA -not that low cost when you consider the tests you have to do if you want to get him into an adoptable shape. Oh, to release him to SPCA? $50, plus the cost of vaccinations, plus the cost of the tests - add it all up, pretty much $100. Then you have to bring him to your home (inside) for10 days (which I can't) so their cat's lives won't be in danger. This is the Dallas SPCA. Well...... My cats? Let alone that 'til the end of the year I will not be home for 10 straight days.
The problem here guys, is that right now my expenses with Bugsy are quite high, and I am traveling a LOT - and every day I travel costs me $50 to have the kids looked after. June alone I am traveling 4 times (so far), 2 days minimum each time... not a pretty math.

So, here is the deal: I can only do what I can, and right now, unfortunately, is not much

I will try my hardest to find a place for this boy and to do the best for him - but I will not take from my own to make this happen and I hope you all understand that this is the reality I am dealing with.

So, put all that and the fear I have with all I have heard about the Shelters around here, vs knowing that he is pretty much ok outside..... I am really on a bind here.

It is ok to be judged I guess... this is the cat site after all, and I understand that reading this must be frustrating... But believe me.... My heart breaks ten-folded what yours do to write this.... But unfortunately this is the situation at hand.
I will continue to do whatever I can for him
, physically, financially and emotionally.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone is judging you. No one can save them all, we wouldn't expect you to as well. You can only do your best.
And I think to know your limits is a wise thing to be respected. Surely it's not a good thing for anyone to get in over your head; we've all seen those cases and they are not pretty. So of course no one is holding it against you!
Maybe if you have some extra food or can afford something cheap at the store you can feed him a little. Even that counts for something! A little food and pets on the head would probably be more than he hoped for, in his eyes.
Everyone wants to help other cats but of course you have to put your own babies first. Please don't feel bad about that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

I don't think anyone is judging you. No one can save them all, we wouldn't expect you to as well. You can only do your best.
And I think to know your limits is a wise thing to be respected. Surely it's not a good thing for anyone to get in over your head; we've all seen those cases and they are not pretty. So of course no one is holding it against you!
Maybe if you have some extra food or can afford something cheap at the store you can feed him a little. Even that counts for something! A little food and pets on the head would probably be more than he hoped for, in his eyes.
Everyone wants to help other cats but of course you have to put your own babies first. Please don't feel bad about that.
If you think you might be able to afford having him neutered in the not too far distant future, or be able to work on finding a home, I'd keep putting some food out to keep him coming around so he's there to be helped when it's possible.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few things to add. It may not be ideal but the most pressing issue is neutering him not worrying about felv/fiv status(yes a concern but without being fixed hes going to fight and get some serious wounds)

Minus the testing, and since its a boy you really can get away with holding for less time-maybe a day or two(shelter ever asks cat escaped). Just trying to change the angle of thinking so its more about how it may be possible down the road to do something without worry to your cats health(been in a 1 bedroom apartment).

I would call your vet JUST for a price on a neuter and one day overnight hold on a STRAY(dont say feral or they may say no off the bat imagining a cat they will need many tech and glove to hold down for!) Also ask if they know any place else if they give you a super high rate. Worst case they tell you few hundred you tell them it is not possible thats it..no one is going to say much to you not being able to neuter a stray when you all ready have 4 cats all done in the house who get medical care.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw hun, I totally understand. My vet bills are just piling up between my two old dogs, a feral injury, and now Pipsqueak........ Don't know if you already mentioned or looked into this, and sorry if you already did, But are there any TNR organizations near you? If so, it is usually only about $35.00. I would just keep feeding him and when possible bring him in to get fixed. He sounds so friendly and he would be easy to get into a crate so you won't have to trap him. Much luck with this handsome boy in finding a place for him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys... Yeah, the idea of contacting a TNR group sounds good....
Something strange happened... When I fed him that day, he was eating happily, I came to my desk to work, then I heard him screaming - a fight. I think another tom showed up for the food and scared him away... That was the last time he was around

I hope he is ok.... I have been looking for him, but he is nowhere to be seen....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry he hasn't been around. Other cats will run each other off - especially if they're not sterilized. Before he was neutered, Chumley was a terror to other cats (in fact, so was Tuxedo).

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sure he will be back though....but I am sure the other strays are on to a new food source. that you see him soon.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If nothing else, maybe you could put a collar on him so that he doesn't get picked up by animal control??

Are you right IN Dallas? I'm finding it hard to say no to that face...