Avoiding cat depression/lonliness

klarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I just found this site so I hope I picked the right board for this.

I just lost my cat of 17 years yesterday. I have another cat who is probably somewhere around 18-19 years old, and those two cats have been together most of their lives before yesterday. I don't think my surviving cat has picked up on it yet that her friend/sister is gone, but I am worried about what might happen when she does. I have heard stories of pets getting sad and depressed when they lose their companions, so I want to try to help her in any way if she gets that way.

She usually sleeps most of the day, and then I'm home during the evening and morning. It's late at night when she's usually awake and in the past has frolicked about with her sister that I'm worried about the most. What can I do to help her? She's old and doesn't play much anymore, but is there any thing I can buy her that might help keep her company? (another cat is not an option at the moment.) I'm going to keep my door open at night now (I used to keep it closed) in case she needs to be near me, but I don't know if that'll be enough. Thanks so much for any help.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats reach such ages. That reflects their care.

I would just pay attention and more attention. Just as when someone looses a family member, they need extra love and attention. It is a good thing you will be leaving the door open for her to come in your room. Can she get up on the bed? Maybe a chair next to the bed to help her?

Also, maybe a heated kitty bed. When cats get that old, warmth is such a comfort to them. Their old joints feel better when warm.

Catnip? Does she respond to it? Extra special food from time to time. But the bottom line, IMO, would be extra love, lap time, brushing. Just anything you can think of to fill the void.

I am so sorry this happened. You are a good person to care so very much.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I am sorry this is such a sad time for you but it is good that you are thinking about your other cat.

yes, cats do miss a companion who has gone, and can grieve for a long time. So anything you can do in the way of extra comfort will help. Let her sleep on your bed if possible, give her warmth and even extra food if she seems to need it. Brush her to replace the licks she would have had and talk to her in cat language - lots of slow blinks, then look to the side - this means ' I like you and I am here for you'

Watch for any strange behaviour including urination out of the box - she may do this to attract her 'lost' friend. She may even get an infection from stress, and would need antibiotics if htis happens. It is quite common.

Good luck and do stick around - you are obviously a caring cat person.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any advice to add to what's already been said, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty.
You obviously care very much your girl(s)
, and I'm sure that will help pull both of you through this tough time.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me, too. Nothing more to say. Good advice here.

I second all LDG just said.

Best wishes to both of you.

Robin

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've already received great advice, especially that about watching for signs of illness.

I would only add that you might get some Rescue Remedy to help her cope with the stress of her loss. Or even a Feliway plug in diffuser.

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved kitty. Welcome to TCS, I hope you'll stick around and tell us about her, and your remaining old girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TY so much all for your advice. Things seem to be going ok so far. I have been giving her lots of attention and sleeping on the couch where she sleeps instead of in bed at night, and I got her a new toy that she seems to like. I think she has caught on that the other cat is not here anymore but I haven't seen signs of sadness yet although I think she's been looking around for her. I'm gonna keep watching closely and then check out the items mentioned here if need be.

afp89898

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your kitty. I hope this cat doesn't get too sad when she realizes her friend wont be back. Prayers/thoughts are with you in this difficult time.