Avoderm Chicken and Duck "Reduced to Clear" @ Petsmart?

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys.

I was just at Petsmart tonight since they had Wellness and a few other canned foods at $1.00 each, and while browsing, made a great yet surprising find. While all Avoderm products were on sale, Avoderm's Chicken and Duck had been marked as "Reduced to Clear" and were marked down to $.77! 
While I know the protein % is not as high as pate style, my gravy-lovin' boys love this brand and flavor (especially my picky Crumb), so we keep it in the regular rotation. I am curious to know if anyone has heard if they're discontinuing this type? It's still on their website, and no other flavors were marked to clear...

Needless to say, I cleared the shelf out in lower Manhattan! 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY for your great find :clap::clap:. It might be close to the expiration date stamped on the bottom of the can. Just check the date and make sure you use up the can's close to that date. Could be why they are reducing the price and WHAT a great price that is !!!:wavey:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the reason things get reduced to clear is simply because A: it's not selling B: the mangement decided it did not want to carry the product anymore.
Buy all the cans you can find to make up for me not being able to take advantage of this deal!!

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the reason things get reduced to clear is simply because A: it's not selling B: the mangement decided it did not want to carry the product anymore.
Buy all the cans you can find to make up for me not being able to take advantage of this deal!!

There is another reason you did not list Minka.  Sometimes the company plans to change label design and the retailer wants to get the old stock out the door before the new stock comes in.  Retailers are getting ready for inventory so this may be a reason for clearance items as well on merchandise that as you indicated is not a good seller.  But what a great find !!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's something I thought of, Mike, after looking at the website... the pictures of the can on their website look very different than the current cans I am used to. I don't know why it would be one flavor over another, but they seem to definitely be approaching an image change.

I haven't been able to get to another Petsmart yet to see if it's clearance anywhere else... so the inquiry continues!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is on sale at my Petsmart too. Just checked. The expiration dates are all this year 2012. If you look on most can's purchased the expiration dates are now into 2013 and even 2014. I find myself looking at the expiration dates on everything I buy for my cat's now. In my mind - the further off that date is the better :dk:. Some brand's are now stamping production date on the can along side of the expiration date so you can see exactly when the product was made and canned. I like that :).

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is on sale at my Petsmart too. Just checked. The expiration dates are all this year 2012. If you look on most can's purchased the expiration dates are now into 2013 and even 2014. I find myself looking at the expiration dates on everything I buy for my cat's now. In my mind - the further off that date is the better :dk:. Some brand's are now stamping production date on the can along side of the expiration date so you can see exactly when the product was made and canned. I like that :).
Not necessarily. Further off date just means more preservatives in the food, not always because the food in the can is newer.