Average lifespan of indoor female cat that's spayed?

banffbunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Ripley is 14.5 years old and indoor/spayed as well. She started slowing down about 2 years ago due some arthritis in her back and didn't want to move around too much. In consultation with my vet, I started her on human glucosamine and chondriitin powder which is mixed in with both soft food meals each day as well as an all-in-one feline supplement called "Feline Complete" and the change in her within 2-3 weeks was incredible!!

She now runs around, plays with her toys, wants to jump and climb on things, etc. She acts like she's 4 instead of 14, it's absolutely amazing to see. She's been bouncing off walls ever since.

She has never had any side effects to the human G/C. I've had excellent results with her. I don't use the vet stuff as the human stuff works just as well and is MUCH less expensive. My vet supported my decision and is pleased with the results.

Good luck with your girl! :-)

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
depending on each individual kitty's gene pool & breed, average life of indoor cats can range from 15 - 22, with some as old as mid-twenties. indoor cats are estimated to live TWICE as long feral cats.

and please let me address this notion of "my cat was an outdoor cat & after i gave him/her a home , i cant keep him/her in". WHAT- that is complete bs, unless you live in a barn, you CAN keep them inside. i now have 7, all of which were strays or ferals (an eighth passed -and not sure of her age ). After feeding them for several weeks (outside), they each became friendlier until they let me pet them & eventually pick them up & put them on my lap. the vet estimated their ages anywhere from 2-3 months to 4-5 years old at the time that i brought them inside. my oldest female ( Presci ) got out twice by accident, & returned both times, once after 1 day, the other after 2. i have 2 males & they are as content to look out the windows & doors as the girls. one thing that helps in the transfer, i think, is playtime. make sure that you play with them ALL & have them neutered.

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i should add that all of my cats, i believe, are mixed-breeds, All-American Kitties, and just like canines have less inherent medical problems that go hand-in-hand with pure-breds or breeds. that may also lead to more time in this world

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
I, agree, as all my feral cats that I have rescued in the past became indoor cats with no problems.

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
I pretty much give her whatever she wants. She does like the Wellness Core Kitten Formula plus I give her other Wellness can foods as well & she likes the Tiki Succulent Chicken that is quite juicy plus has lots of shredded chicken. I change around to her her interested as she does like variety but I try to make sure its a good quality food & she does like food that has some consistency to it like a gravy or broth, something juicy. I pretty much at her beck & call & she eats small amounts thru out the day & evening.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
N
I pretty much give her whatever she wants. She does like the Wellness Core Kitten Formula plus I give her other Wellness can foods as well & she likes the Tiki Succulent Chicken that is quite juicy plus has lots of shredded chicken. I change around to her her interested as she does like variety but I try to make sure its a good quality food & she does like food that has some consistency to it like a gravy or broth, something juicy. I pretty much at her beck & call & she eats small amounts thru out the day & evening.
no dry at all, ever?

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
At her age, she really does not care so much for the dry. On occasion, she may eat a few bites of dry but she prefers the moist food. When she was younger, she did eat dry food, too.