Average Joe

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She picked Jason.

Worst. Show. Ever.

The entire premise is that they have these guys who are supposed to be "average" lookers, but have some personality. They proceed to bring in some hot-looking guys who (as we all know) are just going to trounce the "Average Joes." Surprise! Melana goes for looks over personality and they do. Jason had about as much personality as a plastic Ken doll.

I read an article one time that said that reality shows aren't about cheering for people...they're about a perverse satisfaction in seeing people embarrassed or made fools of (as per Fear Factor). I feel bad for these guys; that's essentially what the producers did to them: forced them to re-live every bad high school and life experience where they were turned down in favor of the class jerk or Mr. John Born-Hot. I'm sure the rejected Joes walk away feeling even more rejected by society and the opposite sex than they did coming in.

Score another point for superficiality....

Bah! And it looks like they're making it worse for the next show - bringing in a shipload of beefcake to fight it out with the geeks and dorks.

The only moment I thoroughly enjoyed was the fake fat suit. That was pretty funny... (despite the fact that Melana was momentarily touched by the superficiality of looks - only to follow the same road)...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see your point. Makes you wonder if their looks had been reversed...Adam's personality with Jason's looks....would she then have chosen him? I liked Jason, he seemed like a very nice, sweet guy, but I did think Adam had the best personality. I felt bad that he lost, although I actually think Jason was more suited for her...she seemed a bit superficial to me.

The one thing that I tend to forget, and just reminded myself, was that when the guys were making the comments about her when she was wearing the fat suit...Adam had some not so nice things to say and I don't recall Jason saying anything. So maybe he was the right choice. I don't know. I liked them both....it would have been a hard decision.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, I think they probably edited the comments. Adam wasn't that bad, he was being a goofball as he normally was. He asked if she looked like Monica from "Friends" in the fat suit - which was the most intuitive comment - she did, because she was wearing a fat suit. The most crass thing he said was whether it would improve or hurt his chances if he hooked up with the cousin - but that was pretty normal "guy" joking and it wasn't necessarily mean.

I don't necessarily think Adam was the perfect catch (he wasn't attractive at all in my male opinion) - but I think they're conducting a mean experiment that largely sets up the Average Joes for a fall.

ESPECIALLY if you look at this second run, where they are bringing in boat-loads of Mr. Beautifuls to battle the Joes.

It's like the Millionaire series - it's getting to the point where it's mean. In Millionaire, they **want** [at least some of] the women to go nuts for the money. Then the joke's on them and everyone can laugh when they get fooled.

It's entertaining, but not necessarily fair and nice.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I was dissapointed she didn't pick Adam. But on the other hand, if she had picked Adam some people would be saying she picked him only for his money. Just like now some are saying she picked Jason only for his looks. She said it well on the Today show today. She said she followed her heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean about it being a bit unfair. But it is still interesting to watch, I think. I wonder what would happen if it was a gorgeous man and a bunch of Average "Janes"...I think in most cases that maybe one of the Average ones wouldn't even make it to the final two once the beauty queens were brought in....but I don't mean it to sound like I think men are more into looks than woman are...but I think in alot of cases they are.

What's really sad is that I heard on the radio (don't know if it is true) that somewhere (not in America) there is a reality show where a beautiful woman must choose between a bunch of attractive looking men, much like many of our shows here, but the catch is...they don't find out till the end that the "woman" is really a "man". Now that is cruel! What if one of them really falls for "her" and then finds out she is a "he" and maybe just isn't into that.