Automatic Feeder recommendations?

onemeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks beckbjj. Look like there are still problem with the round ones and look like there is no perfect feeder around from the reviews I read. I guess it all depend on luck in anything we buy. I'll probably have to base on the % of good versus bad reviews on Amazon.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I have had the Superfeeder for nearly five years and it's still working well.  It's not perfect in the sense that it's not quite as user-friendly as other feeders.  Though once you get the hang of it--it works solidly.  And because the feeding mechanism relies on any type of timer--feeding frequency is only limited by the timer.  The Superfeeder is also relatively expensive. But if it works for five or more years, it's probably no more expensive than the cheaper brands that don't quite work as well.

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the Superfeeder the one that was originally based on an automated fish feeder?  I've heard really great things about that one.  I looked very seriously at it but I couldn't quite figure out which components I needed to accomplish what I wanted, so I kinda gave up.  But had I been able to figure it out, I probably would've got that one. 

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beck, yes that's the superfeeder.  The website isn't very user-friendly either.  It's a shame because I find they/he (the owner) is very responsive to emails and phone calls.  Basically, you need the following for the feeder to work: 1) Superfeeder, 2) stand for the Superfeeder, 3) analog or digital timer and 4) bowl.  You can buy all these components separately from the site.  You can also buy all of it as a package.  I bought the package that had 1,2, and 4.  I already had plenty of timers.  I'm considering buying a 2nd Superfeeder (so my cats won't have to share anymore) and I would only buy the feeder and stand since I have plenty of large bowls.

If you check out some of the customer photos, you'll see some people have DIYed their own stands and other accessories.  I wish I was as handy but I'm not and do not have tools for such projects.  

alikap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI

About automfatic feeders....I will tell you which one NOT to buy.   It is the Petmate Programmable Pet Feeder,  I bought this one for my Persian.  I read all the instructions and set the unit to work in the morning at 6 AM for the first feeding.  I set it at 1/4 cup.  Well, it certainly did work at 6 AM.  The ENTIRE bowl emptied out, or shot out I should say.  It malfunctioned, and it hit my kitten in her right eye.  She screamed and backed off, and could not open her eye for the entire  day.  It was all red and if we touched it, she screamed.   When I took her to the vet the next day, the diagnosis was "severely torn cornea".  I was given pain medication and a different medication to dispense in her eye for 10 days.  After the 10 day recheck, it was determined that it still had not healed and had to give her more medications for another week.  She is now much better, but she went through such pain and torture, all from this terrible, miserable feeder.  Do not buy it, and if you did, return it.  

I have written to the manufacturer, and am still waiting for a response from them.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
@alikap why not add this as a review for these automatic cat feeder in our Reviews Section. I hope it's one of these. If it's not, drop me a private message and let me know which kind it is and I'll add it for you. When you add a review in the reviews section, anyone can see it when searching for a similar product. Plus, you can win $30 for adding a review

[product="16643"]Petmate Le Bistro Pet Feeder [/product][product="16633"]Petmate Le Bistro Portion Control Automatic Pet Feeder [/product]

Last edited: