Autoimmune hemolytic anemia

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet kitty Bode, I have never heard of this condition, May he rest in peace. I hope you stick around here, there is a lot of compassionate and wonderful people here to talk to. I know the pain of losing a precious kitty, as do many of us here, you will find much love and support here.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Bode.
I'm so sorry for your loss. At least you tried your best for him, and it sounds like he passed without pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bode0607

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, sorry I haven't posted sooner, but I've been busy with other things.

Thank-you all for your kinds words and sympathy. It has been incredibly hard, because this time last week he was fine, it just happened so quickly. I will stick around here, because eventually I will get another cat. I don't think I'll be able to at the moment though, because I don't want to 'replace' Bode, but I did enjoy having a cat, so will do when the time is right.

I've been very shocked at how supportive people on here, and in my life have been about this. I didn't realise I would react to it so badly. Although he was a cat (and not a human) he was still very much part of my family, and will be very sorely missed.

Anyway, thanks again for your support, and I hope I can support other people in the same way

Jen

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IT is so much harder when it is unexpected. I think that you may find that a cat comes into your life when you least expect it, and if it does, it may be a gift from Bode. Getting another cat is never ever a replacement, but it is continuing to share that love with another needy cat, and one that our previous cats will never ever be bothered about, they would rather their loving home and caring owner help another needy cat and give them teh care they had.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bode0607

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I quite agree Booktigger.

Bode came from my sister-in-laws, but if I do get another cat, it will be from a rescue centre. I've had a quick scout on the internet, and I can't believe how many kittens are in these rescue centres. I just hope I will be able to find a new kitty who likes 3 yr old boys!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for you loss! I lost a kitten a few years ago to FIP. It is not as rare as autoimmune hemolytic anemia, but it was something I had never heard of until Mattie was diagnosed with it. Her loss was a very lonely thing, as most people (except my friends who foster) didn't know about it. However, at TCS I have since (sadly) met friends who went through the same illness with their kitties.

I am sad that you lost Bode, but perhaps in time some good will come of this experience. If we ever have anyone else who needs to learn about this awful illness, you will be there for them.

As for getting a new kitty...take it at your own pace. I foster rescue cats, and have children. I suggest you call around for a rescue with a foster home who has kids to handle the foster kittens. Then you will get a kitten or cat who not just tolerates your son, but prefers him to adults. The kitten will have learned at a young age that kids are the best for loving on kitties!