Auto Litter Box Training Tips Needed

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, we have four cats ranging from a 1yo to 12yo adults. We have five regular clumping litter boxes and now just purchased two auto litter boxes. We're having difficulty with getting them to use the two new auto litter boxes and would like some ideas. They've been in place now for about ten days and it's only been used a few times by an unknown one of the cats.

I've done some amount of reading online about the best ways to do this. So far I have done the following:
  • One of the litter boxes was upstairs, while the other four and the two auto litter boxes are in the basement. We've removed the one from upstairs altogether.
  • We've also removed two of the regular litter boxes from the basement, leaving only two of the old litter boxes
  • I've filled the two new auto litter boxes using the cleaned sand from the old litter boxes to provide a familiar smell.
  • I've periodically placed (or tried to place) each of the cats into the new litter boxes multiple times, encouraging them in the process, and rewarding them afterward with cat treats they like
  • I've tried to move one of the two older litter boxes to be right next to the new ones, although they're already in the same general area.
  • I've also provided a box in front of the auto litter boxes to make it easier for my two older cats to get in
This morning, one of the cats pooped on the rug in one of the bedrooms, ugh.

One thing I haven't done is provide steps to ease the process of getting into the litter boxes. I'll try that next.

Other ideas are welcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you - I should have mentioned that I've already done that.

Should I remove now the one remaining litter box?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
No, leave the old boxes out. Let the cats take their time getting used to the new ones. If you rush it they will pee outside the box.