Attracting feral cats

Cricketsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
We live on a rural orchard and have quite the feral cat problem, which I feel sorry for these poor cats, so we have been trying to trap them.
We have 2 so far, a adult male that we have just tamed, neutered, chipped and vaccinated, and just last night we caught a teeny-tiny black kitten.
There has been other cats I've seen too, but we have been unsuccessful in trapping, which is why I came here.
I don't know if there is a problem with how I set up the trap, I just set it in a place near the cat and throw a small chunk of steak in the back, then also a little trail of tiny pieces out side and and inside the trap.
I want to attract more of these feral cats, I know they are around, just not right here, and hopefully catch them. So looking for advice on how to do that.

Garbeaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know if steak will smell strong enough to attract cats from further away. I would try to find something more stinky that has a farther reach, personally, I would try some sardines in oil.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats

There may be some tips here which will help you. The trail of food is not a bad idea, but I agree that the steak may not be enough of a bait. I don't know where you are, but my best bait has always been KFC. If you don't have that but can get fried chicken in a deli or market, even the frozen ones that you heat, it might be worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cricketsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That makes sense, I'll try something different then. Next time I'm in town I'll buy KFC and sardines in oil. Thankyou both for the suggestions!