attn experienced cat care people

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you saw a cat all active and playing one day, and a day and a half later it is so lethargic it can hardly move. It is also ice cold with a 95 degree temperature and eyeballs are sunken in, gums white and dry and dehydrated...what is your first thought as to what it might be?

This happened to a cat at the shelter and I was curious. She went to the vet earlier (it wasn't me who took her though) probably to be put down, but I am curious what your first thought is. I have a few ideas but I want to hear yours.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
leukemia, sounds exactly what I've had happen to far too many of my cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
exactly what i was thinking, now what is the chance that the two kittens in the open wire dog crate next to her have it too?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, leukemia is easily transmitted, but if they weren't sharing anything, like food, water, litterbox and didn't have any direct contact, there's a chance that the other kittens do not have it
I'd test them now, if they have it, retest in a month if there is space to house them separately, if there is no space, well, yeah. if they don't have it

and as much as I would love to take them if they're positive, I absolutely cannot, 15 is waaaay over my limit as is