Attitude of Rescue Staff Discourages Adoption

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And on the flip side of things, that shelter staffer may have just had a bad experience with a prospective parent that left a sour taste in his mouth too.  And then you walk in and catch from him what was meant for that other person.  

I had a terrifying experience with a client once.  I have to be deliberately vague even though this case has long since gone public and there was prosecution and jail time involved.  But it literally scared me to my bones, and all of a sudden every parent was suspect in my eyes.  I had always known it was possible before, but I'd never been personally involved in such a situation, so I became much more careful and began actively looking for it.  I may never come across that exact circumstance again, but it has forever changed how I pay attention to little red flags.  Better to bark up the wrong tree and then apologize, than to let a criminal go unhindered.  That's just my opinion folks!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of good points have been made in this thread. Volunteers also differ in their degrees of experience and training. Most shelters are to some extent understaffed, and while it's usual to have the more experienced staff members doing adoptions, all it takes is an emergency (or two or three) to force somebody who's unprepared or has poor people skills to interact with the public while the "regulars" deal with the crisis or crises. There are a lot of "those days", sometimes with incredible stress levels, and you have to feel sorry for the people who come in looking for a pet during those times when everybody is feeling overwhelmed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just received a message from a cat rescue person whom responded to my inquiry about one of the cats this person is trying to find a new home for.  The rescuer's modus operandi includes having applicants complete and sign a contract in which the applicant/adopter attests that the cat will never be allowed outdoors.  Moreover, the agreement forbids placing cats in apartments with a balcony.  Well, I guess this rescue person has been in the business of saving cats for many years, based on praises from others on the web.  However, at risk of repeating my rant (LOL), this is the very kind of "adhesion contract," you lawyers out there know what I am talking about, that results in needy pets again losing out on being placed with contentious people in new homes.

OK, I imagine that the cat will remain at the rescuer's home and likely enjoy a life there that's far superior to life on the streets.  Nevertheless, can this rescuer keep an untold number of cats in the rescuer's own home?  Likely not, which means that even though this person doesn't surrender cats to so-called kill shelters, when there's no more room at the rescuer's home, some cats will undoubtedly be shuttled from foster home to foster home.  Is such a transient experience better than a stable and familiar home?

Now contrast that situation with the apartment manager who unexpectedly inherited abandoned cats.  He could have taken the easy route, but no, he is determined to find a home for the pets left stranded by former tenants.  The notice he posted was very straightforward and earnest.  He candidly said that he's only charging a re-homing fee because he was told it was a way to avoid applicants with bad intentions.  That's his only requirement, after he sees an applicant interact with the cats.  He's a cat owner himself.  Like I said, sizing up people is not a science.  It's a skill.  Intrusive paper can defeat the purpose of finding a good home.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oops!!!

Meant to say "conscientious" people.  Just goes to show you that spell-checkers are not infallible.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should LOL your rant. I LOL'd when told her cat might trip her for insurance but I don't think the rest of the thread is very LOL.

"keep an untold number of cats in the rescuer's own home?" And give them all attention, I think not. They need attention and affection.

"Intrusive paper can defeat the purpose of finding a good home." Totally agree on that point. Just because someone has a good job and lots of money does not guarantee they won't lose interest in the cat and neglect it or be too cheap to take it to a vet.

I would really appreciate it if you could get Anne or someone to take out your LOL if you cannot edit it. I just don't feel there is an LOL in the overall conversation you started, well except a cat out to get someone's insurance money.

Last edited:

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd sure like to know what options the rescuer has when she finds that few people will accept her conditions for adoption.  People want to ease or end the cat crisis will make practical decisions to encourage adoptions.  For example, for the month of August my local municipal shelter has waived the fee for all cat adoptions for pets over 6-months in age.

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I had the same experience about a week ago... but mine was a rescue group that is in a city about an hour away, that I called about 4 years ago, because someone had thrown two dogs out at the end of the road I live on. They came and got the dogs, and I added them to my facebook page. I found out they have two separate branches, one for dogs and one for cats... I donated money for a few poor dogs and a few cats that were with these folks...since then I have taken them off of my facebook page.

Then me and my wife had decided to adopt another baby, after we just lost my dear Sadie 7 weeks ago. I looked on their website and picked out two little ones, then filled out their lengthy form, requesting references, vet phone number, "how much do you think the average vet cost is for a cat for a year" (???), then they trip you up, is this cat going to be an outside cat or indoor cat...  I said outdoor with supervision, indoor also,I received an email within 5 minutes saying we were denied because they will not allow cats outside, it is too dangerous for them. It made me very angry and then I found out they are the same with the dogs, no dog will be adopted out to a home that isn't going to keep it indoors all the time...I have a former co-worker who I told of the rescue of the dogs, and she joined their group. She tried to defend them saying, all her life she has had 10 cats and all were killed being outdoors. What I didn't say was, "yes, and her and her family are all alcoholics,, she admits it, so I can understand." But I did tell her this is too much into other people's business.. just like if you bought a car, and then the dealership said, "oh there is a clause in the contract you signed that says you are never to go off the pavement, and you must not go over 50 mph."

I went to another, Fayette Humane Society, there form said the same thing. In a little while a lady called me and told me she wasn't like that, her cats come in at sundown, I said me too. Then she told me the one I wanted was adopted already to pick out another, and it was up to the foster if they would allow the cat to be adopted to someone that would let it outdoors. She said there was only one or two fosters that would allow it, to pick out some and she could tell me if that foster would allow it or not...  I never called her back.

So my wife has a cousin, that has a friend that is trying to get rid of kittens, and we are going to get one of those this weekend.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think not allowing cats to be outdoor cats is a very reasonable and common at many shelters. Just as it isn't a good idea to let a dog roam free without a leash, it isn't good for cats either. They are not naturally gifted with avoiding cars or dangerous situations. Plenty of cats get killed by cars everyday. There are also predators of cats in every environment. My neighbor was once instructed by her vet to let give her cat some fresh air once a day, and she would let it out into the front yard while she watched from the porch, and a dog that had gotten out of its invisible fence came and killed the cat before she could do anything. It happens that fast. Feral and other outdoor cats are also a huge risk to cats, as they can get in fights and transmit diseases that aren't covered by vaccinations. Plus, a huge number of diseases and parasites are contracted when cats catch and eat small animals. I've also noticed cats are more likely than dogs to get parasites that are contracted from contaminated water (like a puddle) because after they walk through it, they clean themselves very thoroughly and ingest all the microscopic parasites.

This is not just anecdotal evidence, either. Outdoor cats have a significantly reduced average lifespan compared to indoor cats. If you want to take your cat outdoors for some enrichment occasionally, that is fine, but they should be on a leash and harness for their own safety.

Cats are not just property like a car, they are living animals who need to have their welfare attended to. They are domesticated and an invasive species, and there is nothing natural or inherently necessary about letting them roam free outside.

Last edited:

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I don't have a dog, because I don't have a fenced yard, I wouldn't put one on a "tie", nor do I want a dog in the house all the time. My cat was supervised closely, she mostly followed me around everywhere I went, or she was lying close by. She was like my child, she was 16 years old when she passed 7 weeks ago, and I never prevented her from going outside when she wanted to go, unless I knew it was too cold, there was a danger, or as she got older when it was too hot. Most of the time, she wanted me to go out with her, or she wanted to come out with me.

I try to look at it like I would a person... how would you feel to be "kept" inside all the time, every day... most would go crazy eventually. Cats are natural outdoors, how do you think they are able to survive and hunt? Why do you think cats sit in the window "chattering" at birds they see, it's their instinct to want to hunt, or play... The way I see it, these organizations are just like the govt. trying to control our lives... one example is the law requiring the wearing of a bicycle helmet to ride a bicycle. I rode a bike for 22 years without a helmet and never had a problem, it's not the govt.'s place to "protect" me, if I want to take that chance, that's me, my own decision, not the govt.'s... they are overstepping their bounds, just like the "rescue" folks. It's not there place to tell me how I care for and raise my cat, it's none of their business as long as I'm not abusing it....

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mollly92 said:

"Cats are not just property like a car, they are living animals who need to have their welfare attended to. They are domesticated and an invasive species, and there is nothing natural or inherently necessary about letting them roam free outside."

That is an unnecessarily condescending comment;  It in no way describes most people whom are deeply attached to their pets.  Additionally, your opinion does not address the practical problem of thousands of cats needing homes.  Turning away highly motivated prospective pet parents certainly does not guarantee a better life, or life itself, for orphaned cats.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mollly92 said:

"Cats are not just property like a car, they are living animals who need to have their welfare attended to. They are domesticated and an invasive species, and there is nothing natural or inherently necessary about letting them roam free outside."

That is an unnecessarily condescending comment;  It in no way describes most people whom are deeply attached to their pets.  Additionally, your opinion does not address the practical problem of thousands of cats needing homes.  Turning away highly motivated prospective pet parents certainly does not guarantee a better life, or life itself, for orphaned cats.
I was responding to the above comment ("just like if you bought a car, and then the dealership said, "oh there is a clause in the contract you signed that says you are never to go off the pavement, and you must not go over 50 mph."), saying that it's not a fair comparison, because a car can't be hurt. Letting cats roam free outside is dangerous to them. I do not want cats to not get adopted, but I have heard first hand so many tragic experiences that could have been so easily prevented if the cat was kept indoors, and I don't blame any foster for not wanting to put a cat in that situation.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I personally don't believe you can generalize when discussing whether shelters are wrong to deny potential adopters a pet because they want to give it unrestricted outdoor access. Location is the most important factor when deciding. Is the shelter/foster home located in an urban, suburban or (semi-)rural area? How much traffic is there, and are predators a consideration? Is a new housing development or school planned, since both would increase traffic? Does the potential adopter live near a highway, railroad tracks, major thoroughfare, or on a large property situated on a one-way or very quiet street? Do they live in a high-rise building with an unsecured balcony or in a ranch house? Are they willing to install a cat flap so that their pet can come inside at will or when in need?

Do you see why pre-adoption visits are often required? We have one volunteer who actually parks on a potential adopter's street at various times of the day and counts cars before making the decision whether to give them an indoor/outdoor cat.

One of the most unpleasant tasks a shelter worker has is to scan and photograph roadkill in an attempt to identify and give the deceased pet's owner some closure. It's traumatizing for the municipal workers who bring in the dead animals, too. Do that a couple of times, and you might find your views on letting pets outside change, or at least be more understanding of an "indoor-only" policy.

Last edited:

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well then, the logical conclusion of the "never outside" school of thought is that pet cats should be caged if they are taken outdoors by their owners for any reason.  Sorry, but I do not see any practicality or nurturing in that course of action.

The last thing I'll say about this topic is that, in my opinion, some of these rescue groups are essentially redlining applicants, a distasteful discriminatory practice.  That is what you're promoting when you refuse an applicant based on where they live. Distasteful.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another thought.  If one door keeps being slammed in your face, open another one.  Rescued cats ALREADY have a home.  And if for whatever reason you keep getting turned down, then look elsewhere.  How about strays who don't have a home?  Or ferals?   How about helping them and taming them and making THEM your pet?  There's no middle man and you are helping those who have NO home.