Attention-seeking cat and baby on the way!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi folks

I just wanted to ask for some advice on how to make the big adjustment when I have my first baby in (hopefully) 2 months.

Harry is a spoiled cat; I'll be the first to admit that. He has been my only baby for quite a while. He is extremely attention seeking; as soon as I come in the door from work he meows and meows until either he can get on my lap or I feed him. If I am upstairs in the morning getting dressed or whatever, he sits at the bottom of the stairs and cries until I come down and pay him attention. Usually he will have already been fed at this point so it's not hunger. As soon as I sit down to watch tv etc in the evenings, he is on my lap and gets annoyed when I have to lift him off, and as soon as I'm back in the room he is on my lap again.

I love having an affectionate cat, but I'm starting to worry how things are going to work out when I bring the new baby home. For example, when I'm nursing the baby I'm afraid Harry is going to try and get on my lap (he normally doesn't care what is there, whether it's my dinner, knitting etc, if he wants on my lap he's determined to get on my lap!) He also has free run of the house at the moment, and while I can easily stop him from going upstairs at night, I'm worried about during the day that I won't be able to leave the baby asleep in the living room while I try and do housework etc without worrying about the cat getting in on top of her/him.

He does go outside as well, but I'm reluctant to make him a solely outside cat. He is spending very little time outside at the moment because of the weather, but in the summer he will be out more.

Any tips on how to stop the cat from being so clingy and also to make the adjustment go smoothly? Thanks in advance.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It worries me a little bit that he is already so clingy. Usually cats act out and become more clingy after a baby is born due to the relative lack of attention they are getting. Will the baby be in asleep in a crib in the living room? If so, you may want to try a ssscat by the crib or some double sided tape along the outside and top of the crib.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm not a mom so I can't offer much advice about babies and cats interacting but have you considered trying Feliway for when the baby first comes home? Also, I know your new baby will be the most important thing in your world but do you think it will be possible to give Harry a few minutes of your full attention a day? It may be tricky at first until you all get on a new schedule but if he knew that from 8-8:15 every morning he got all your attention it might help him adjust too. I bet as you get into it you find that everyone finds their place and becomes comfortable with the changes. It may take Harry some time, but he'll adjust. Cats are excellent survivors!

Congratulations! I hope all goes well with the baby and kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to make sure I give him as much attention as I can; I'm more worried about him jumping up on me when I'm nursing though. Bar pushing him off my lap, is there any way of discouraging this?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said, I'm not a mom myself but I've got the suspicion that the baby itself will prevent him from jumping in your lap. Babies smell different than do adults and they make strange (to a cat) noises. Those two things combined may be enough to slow him down in the beginning and allow you time to find what works for everyone. The good news is that he's so interested in attention, he may be willing to accept it more readily from your child as he or she ages than would another cat. There are some real benefits to having an outgoing kitty!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we brought my granddaughter home, the first thing we did was show her to the cats. One just ignored her, but the big, clingy male immediately appointed himself her guardian. He would lick her little feet and head, but never once got in her face. He shared couch time with her. That was 5 years ago, and he is still her best buddy. Maybe we were just lucky, or maybe we did not give him enough credit for being a good boy. I think it was important that he was introduced to the baby first thing when she came to his territory.
Congratulations on your coming baby, and I hope things go well with the baby and the furbaby.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is helpful that he is male...in my opinion, females have more territory issues. Does he play, like fetch at all or anything? Maybe he would play with a ball or a feather on a string with your (possibly) free hand when you are nursing. (Yeah, been there, done that, sometimes, your hand will be free, LOL)

You could also give him good attention, but then if he tries to jump on you, you could either hiss or get an air can that hisses that would scare him. Just be sure to give him lots of lovin' at other times. (And don't squirt water, that's not a good idea.)

If this is your first child, I'll bet you find a happy medium, and also find that you have a lot more time to worry about what's going to happen while you're pregnant than after the baby comes!!!
You'll just take it as it comes, and I'm sure it will be fine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. He actually runs away from anyone else who comes into the house; it's only me and sometimes my husband that he is affectionate towards!

Originally Posted by kluchetta

If this is your first child, I'll bet you find a happy medium, and also find that you have a lot more time to worry about what's going to happen while you're pregnant than after the baby comes!!!
You'll just take it as it comes, and I'm sure it will be fine!
I laughed when I read this; I'm not sleeping too well so I'm probably over-analysing everything at the moment and imagining plenty of worst-case scenarios (not just about the cat!). I'm even feeling better from all of these replies.

Fingers crossed it will all be okay. I was at home yesterday during the day and I noticed Harry was happy to keep to himself and sleep in his usual spot all day. As soon as evening hit he was on my lap though. He has his routine too!