Attention Members!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We know it wasn't intentional, and that it was just something that kinda snowballed. I'm very happy to see that you all are so understanding.
TCS really has the BEST members on the 'net!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for explaining the multi quote, I had been wondering how to do that!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The multi-quote does take a few tries to get used to , but once you do it is great!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found TCS when I needed help with a stray and a family of feral cats. I hung out in The Caring for Strays and Ferals forum. Even back then, when there weren't NEARLY so many members, I found the Lounge intimidating because everyone seemed to know everyone else so well. Somehow or another, I found the courage to just jump in there... and being warmly received, the Lounge became another hang out.

For a little over a year, I wasn't able to find much "personal" time for the Net. Every time I visited TCS, I'd take a peek at the Lounge - and each time, I was impressed with how many new members there were - but it also seemed like with so many people posting and participating, everything moved so fast, lol!

Now that I've finally got time again, I LOVE being able to help others rescue, so I still call The Caring for Strays and Ferals forum "home."

I also finally got over the feeling that I had to catch up on who everyone I don't know yet IS... and I started popping back in to the Lounge.

And there are usually a lot of threads that it's easy to just "jump right in there." But there have been a lot of threads where if you're not a "regular" to the Lounge it is uncomfortable to participate. Which is kind of strange to say....as a member of TCS for so long.

On the other hand, it is natural for people to get to know each other and become friends - especially at TCS - because it IS such a great group of wonderful people. !!!!!

Laurie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

Thank you for explaining the multi quote, I had been wondering how to do that!
i thought it meant to multi-quote a single post, not multiple posts.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

I also promise to behave....in fact I just "edited" a post....
It was a little "gutterish" , then I read this after.
Sorry.....
Thanks for that.
As some of you know, I'm a teacher (ESL at a junior college), and many of my students visit TCS, and have their own "Amber & Boris" fan club. A few of them are still minors, and most are interested in improving their English. The "insider jokes" and double entendres really confuse them, and often discourage them from participating. I've been getting some negative feedback about the Lounge lately, and have just wanted to
. This is a terrific site, with wonderful members, and it would be wonderful if everybody felt welcome here.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really love the multi-quote button it is a great great time saver, space saver, and you remember to quote and reply to everyone you wanted to! I will make sure to keep this "memo" in mind when posting. Thanks Guys!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this group! We are able to come on the net and find out info,find friends and share our experiences with cats and life.
I think all *lurkers* should join in the conversations.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that "regulars" keep people from posting, rather, just like IRL, it is shy people that don't step forward and then complain that they don't feel like they fit in. No offense to anyone, but I see this wherever I go, it's just a normal human dynamic in social situations.

I'm still new here, but I just jumped in with both feet, and felt quite accepted as a result.

I actually enjoy that this forum hasn't been all serious all the time, and that friendships can form and grow as a result. I don't like the idea that the interaction should be curtailed, although I completely understand where the request is coming from, and am respectful of that.

I'd like to therefore propose this thought: The Gutter Gang should all join as Premium members (if they aren't already) and then such conversations (still falling within the TCS requested guidelines) could take place in the Premium Lounge rather than in the general forum. This way, only those that pay to "be on the inside" would be exposed to the threads, and then no one should feel uncomfortable.

Any thoughts on this idea? I would just hate to see anyone's online personalities stifled as a result of tamping down on the silly talk.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not for those that can't do the premium fee, just do it on the IMO forum?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I don't think that "regulars" keep people from posting, rather, just like IRL, it is shy people that don't step forward and then complain that they don't feel like they fit in. No offense to anyone, but I see this wherever I go, it's just a normal human dynamic in social situations.

I'm still new here, but I just jumped in with both feet, and felt quite accepted as a result.

I actually enjoy that this forum hasn't been all serious all the time, and that friendships can form and grow as a result. I don't like the idea that the interaction should be curtailed, although I completely understand where the request is coming from, and am respectful of that.

I'd like to therefore propose this thought: The Gutter Gang should all join as Premium members (if they aren't already) and then such conversations (still falling within the TCS requested guidelines) could take place in the Premium Lounge rather than in the general forum. This way, only those that pay to "be on the inside" would be exposed to the threads, and then no one should feel uncomfortable.

Any thoughts on this idea? I would just hate to see anyone's online personalities stifled as a result of tamping down on the silly talk.
Originally Posted by jcat

Thanks for that.
As some of you know, I'm a teacher (ESL at a junior college), and many of my students visit TCS, and have their own "Amber & Boris" fan club. A few of them are still minors, and most are interested in improving their English. The "insider jokes" and double entendres really confuse them, and often discourage them from participating. I've been getting some negative feedback about the Lounge lately, and have just wanted to
. This is a terrific site, with wonderful members, and it would be wonderful if everybody felt welcome here.
I understand that we need to be respectful of others on the net.And I do agree that sometimes things can get a bit *overly worded* to put it nicely.But, if you start saying you can't say this or you can't say that because it makes someone uncomfortable, then that isn't far to the members that have been here for a while.We need to destress ALOT of times and this group is that for us.I know when I am really stressed,I can't wait to read a *Gutter gang* post to cheer me up.
That's just

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'm not shy, GingersMom. And no offense taken. Maybe what you're seeing in these situations wherever you go is people who don't feel the interaction is something they want to fit into, or they just don't find the threads (or RL situations) as amusing or entertaining as you do. People come here for such different reasons. Many seek information and help with their cat problems. Duh...it's a cat board. Others want to have a social connection, a place to hang out and discuss their lives. Ideally, it's probably a mix between the two. I don't have a problem with fun, or people airing their private lives, or even lewd comments. I do feel a bit disappointed when I ask for information about SCC in cats and get no response, when someone making nut jokes gets dozens. Maybe that is why *shy* people just don't get it sometimes.

Not trying to be argumentative.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got to tell you, I don't care how you run the place, just so long as we can share what we know about cats to anyone and everyone who needs help.

I got all my feral information from this site, I don't follow many others, because what I got here, works. I now have a stable feral community environment that is safe for my babies and they are thriving. (I will NOT mention Tammy-Timmy, she's an insider)

I said it in a post before, the whole world could learn a lesson from the way we treat each other and help each other out when we have problems, or good times, or we lose our babies. There would be a galactic hole in my heart and life without this place.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I understand that we need to be respectful of others on the net.And I do agree that sometimes things can get a bit *overly worded* to put it nicely.But, if you start saying you can't say this or you can't say that because it makes someone uncomfortable, then that isn't far to the members that have been here for a while.We need to destress ALOT of times and this group is that for us.I know when I am really stressed,I can't wait to read a *Gutter gang* post to cheer me up.
That's just
It starts to become a problem when many threads were getting gutter comments in them. Many innocent threads were going "into the gutter". It happened to one of my threads. You have to remember we have a fair amount of minors on this site, and TCS is used as an educational tool in many schools. We certainly don't want a school administrator to suddenly see a student reading a gutter thread, and in turn they block this site for school use. The IMO forum can also still be seen by minors. Sponsors who essentially are paying for you to have access this site, could also easily get turned off by this and pull their advertising. It is not just the *new* members that were concerned with the many double entendres.

The Lounge is still a place to have fun, and learn more about each other. None of that has changed. We just need to "clean up" the gutter a little.