Attack of the Spyware!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

That's the case ONLY if you run the Antispyware in Realtime...i.e. it's monitoring all the time, just like your antivirus program.

If you don't have the software running in realtime (which many don't default to that during the installation) then you have no problems.
So I'm quoting myself insteading of editing my post.

Perhaps Diego was confusing Antispyware programs with Antivirus programs. If you have 2 AV programs installed at the same time (i.e. McAfee and Norton) then they WILL cancel each other out and become ineffective for protection.

However, as point out here, having 2 or 3 antispyware programs (not antivirus) can be quite effective. Often times they use different databases to help cross reference unneeded cookies and spyware on your machine.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I'm quoting myself insteading of editing my post.

Perhaps Diego was confusing Antispyware programs with Antivirus programs. If you have 2 AV programs installed at the same time (i.e. McAfee and Norton) then they WILL cancel each other out and become ineffective for protection.

However, as point out here, having 2 or 3 antispyware programs (not antivirus) can be quite effective. Often times they use different databases to help cross reference unneeded cookies and spyware on your machine.

THANK-YOU!!!! i was saying that in my FIRST post, but he had to shoot me down like i didnt have a clue

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

2 years ago I had Adware, ccCleaner and spybot S&D on my PC, when one day my PC got completely @$$
ed by spyware, there wasn't a single technician in NZ that could fix the problem. So I ended up calling a tech all the way over in the US for help, his first question "do you have anti spyware software installed?" as soon as I mentioned I had 3, he said theres your problem. They do often counter each other and depending on the spyware they will neutralise each other meaning you can't get rid of the spyware, which unfortunately is so true. .

I copied lunasmom by quoting myself. Thank you for implying that NZ technicians and I are so daft that we confuse 2 types of software.

ETA, you can't actually install 2 AV programs at the same time, the software and system does not allow this.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

NOT true, as Spybot picks up spyware that LavaSoft Ad-Aware does NOT. I run both after running McAfee.
You just proved my point, Thank you.

Originally Posted by Liza24

THANK-YOU!!!! i was saying that in my FIRST post, but he had to shoot me down like i didnt have a clue
I apologise if you felt like thats what I was doing, it certainly wasn't my intention. The part I quoted myself on is why I have my opinion. That problem was going to cost me a little over $1900NZD, had I have not kicked up a fuss with the companies, saying that I would not pay for their services when tey did not fix my problem. That was the first major spyware problem I encountered, most were easily fixed before that and running more than 1 program, was finding several hundred spyware on my PC per week. I am lucky now if I find 1 spyware every 3 months. Never had a problem since.

Again Liza I apologise you felt that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, TCS is running slow tonight, so I am worrying again. Running the Ad-Aware scan again. I am so paranoid....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another question! The Ad-Aware has detected 173 total infections. How do I get rid of those?
It found almost that many last time....I assumed it got rid of them???

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Another question! The Ad-Aware has detected 173 total infections. How do I get rid of those?
everytime you surf on the net to diff pages and websites, you collect " cookies". Its your computers way of remembering where you were, so it can go back to that page later if you want. Cookies are basically harmless, and you will get them everytime you surf, but i delete them. I run the spyware removers everynight before i shut the comp down, and run a virus check once a week.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I haven't used Ad-Aware (for personal reasons I don't like it, not that its not inefficient) in a long time but if I remember right I think you have to highlight everyone of the thingies they detect and then click the "delete" button. That should get rid of all the infections.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Thank you for implying that NZ technicians and I are so daft that we confuse 2 types of software.

ETA, you can't actually install 2 AV programs at the same time, the software and system does not allow this.
My intention was not to call you, your country, or the guy in the US names, I was merely giving you the benefit of the doubt. Being in IT for 7 years and dealing with users 5 days a week, I often find that they do confuse software often (i.e. the most common is confusing Windows with Office). I thought perhaps that is what you were doing as most people confuse Spyware with Viruses (as well as Spyware with Identity Theft).

As for installing 2 AV programs at once, again working with users 5 days a week for 7 years teaches you that users can do ANYTHING. You install AVG free with Norton or McAfee which allows for it to conflict.

Because most A/S programs are free, they do not accomplish everything that can happen on a computer. That is why many people typically download 2 A/S softwares. If you have 100% confidence that yours is detecting everything, then kudos to that software for accomplishing what every other piece of software is trying to accomplish.

I do find your responses to everyone that exercise computer security differently than yours in thread rude as you displayed the attitude “you are wrong, I am right”. Everyone has their own method of doing things to make them feel safe. As for the tech guy in the U.S., well let’s just say that our job economy is helping to weed people out of the IT industry that probably don’t belong.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband is a "computer guy". It has been my experience that everyone has their own preferred method for dealing with computer problems and no one method is necessary completely right or completely wrong. There are a lot of gray areas.

Being as the internet is one-dimensional, it is very hard to interpret the manner in which someone posts. It is not the same as hearing inflection of the voice and seeing facial expressions. Things can easily be interpreted the wrong way.

Can we all please to agree to disagree at this point and concentrate on helping white cat lover with her problem?