Attaching Soft Paws on impossible cat!

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my foster cats is completely impossible when it comes to his paws. He has a very uncomfortable habit or sticking his claws out when you're holding him or when he's sitting on my lap. It can hurt quite a bit to get those super sharp claws sunk into your skin. I'm normally pretty good at cutting nails but this boy is impossible. He will squirm and squirm and when that doesn't work he will sink his teeth into my hands and won't let go until I stop trying to cut his nails. I got a cat muzzle but I can't even get it on him.
So, to deal with the issue I've been thinking about maybe getting soft paws put on his claws. But how could I possibly get it on if I can't even cut his nails? I was thinking about taking him to a groomer and have them do it but I have some doubts about anyone being able to handle him. Has anyone else had soft paws put on a biting squirmer like this one?
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ow, I know it is very difficult to handle a cat's paws when it acts like that...
Is there anybody around that can help you? One person can hold the cat by the scruff (back of the neck) while the other person attaches the soft paws. When I asked about nail clipping advice here, several people mentioned wrapping the cat in a towel or blanket; that could work for you.
Good luck

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he let you squish his paws? Thats the first thing you are supposed to desensitize the spazzy one to.

Obviously do it in a very small room like a guest bath or closet, but I didn't like the towel, she managed to wiggle out of the burrito.

I hadn't tried it, but online there are various cat restraint bags. That would seem a way to go.

The groomers also I think have better luck just because the cat is afraid and scared stiff by a stranger and foreign environment. Kinda stressful to the kitties I would think though.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Use a 2nd person. Find an understanding cat person like yourself. I recently helped another TCS member (Capt_Jordi) put soft paws on her aggressive cat Google. Surprisingly nobody was injured. I had her do the holding and I did the gluing. She picked him up and wrapped him in a blanket making a kitty burrito, tucked that under one arm and then held his head with mouth closed away while I pulled out one paw at a time and glued the soft paws on. It took a while because we had to re-wrap him after each paw and he was NOT happy. With the muzzle you could grab and wrap him, put the muzzle on first and then not have to worry about the biting during the whole process. Good luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say that's when you pay a vet or groomer to do it.
I've had to pay someone else to clip a cat's nails before - I still can't get Tabitha's done, even w/ 3 people!