Ativan for semi-feral?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My semi-feral has been inside 3 months now (someone had reported me for feeding her and I feared for her safety). She was not doing well (depressed) so the other day I gave her 0.125 mg of lorazepam. She did great - she came out of hiding, ate and played often. :banana1: I did this for the past few days. I skipped yesterday to see how she would do and she is back in hiding. :sigh:

Is lorazepam a long term solution for cats? Does anyone have experience dosing ferals or semi-ferals with this?

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides being a controlled substance which could get you into trouble for possessing it without a prescription, Ativan / lorazepam is addictive. It also has the potential to build tolerance if taken too frequently, for too long or at high doses.

Theoretically...legal issues aside...Ativan can work to reduce anxiety but you need to be careful that you don’t get your cat hooked on “downers.” You don’t want to turn her into a “pill popping junkie!” Then you would have to deal with the possibility of drug withdrawal issues when you can’t give her anymore drugs.... Which can be fatal if the addiction is severe enough.

In humans, benzodiazepines can be used to treat anxiety issues but only in the short term. They have to be paired with behavioral therapies to help alleviate anxiety for the long term. That way, the drug is used to help the person cope with anxiety until they can do it on their own, without drugs.

I suppose you could do the same with a cat but I REALLY recommend you talk to a vet and/or a cat behaviorist who has experience with this kind of thing.

When you are talking about controlled substances, it is always best to do things “above board” if you know what I mean.

Besides getting a professional involved means that you’ve got somebody watching your back, so to speak.

Two heads can be better than one! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes, I have an Rx, but it is for me, not the cat. I just contacted my vet, we will see what she says. But I am sure she will want to see the cat, which is going to be pretty traumatic for her. I agree with you about the addictive effects of this particular drug. It is hard enough with people, but with cats, who knows how it is monitored? She is still hiding. I want to so much to give her another pill but we'll see what my vet says.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...the other day I gave her 0.125 mg of lorazepam. ...
I just noticed this...

0.125 mg is the same as 0.000125 g.

I guarantee that you don’t have a scale that can weigh an amount so small.
It would take a scientific laboratory balance to weigh such a small quantity.

You need to be really, really careful!

I don’t think you are giving the dose that you think you are giving.

Diverting prescription meds to anybody except the person whose name is on the label is illegal, even if it is for your cat.

Call a professional before things end up in disaster!

(Yes, I see that you have. :) I’m just making sure in case other people read this and think it’s okay to give your prescription meds to your cat... which it is NOT.)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gave her 1/8 of a 1 mg tablet using a pill splitter. Vet protocol from the articles I read are to use between .0125 and .25 mg. Given her smaller stature, I went with the lower number.

But I will wait and see what the vet says before giving her more.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understood that is what you probably did from the start but when we are talking about a situation where things can go wrong so badly, and so quickly, we really have to mind our ”P’s and Q’s.”

I understand what you are doing and I follow your logic but please understand me... You are playing with fire.

If your vet gives the OK and writes a scrip for your cat then gives you instructions on what to do, I have no problems with your plan.

Taking Ativan isn’t like eating “M & M’s!” ;)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, you are right. I will proceed with what the vet suggests. She is usually pretty good about responding, so I will keep you posted on what she says.

I am sure she will want me to bring her in, which will be a challenge in itself, but whatever I have to do I will do.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry you were reported for feeding this kitty I will never understand why it bothers other people to see someone helping out stray or feral cats It’s great that you took her in Since you did get a calming reaction from the medication I bet your vet can prescribe something suitable for her during this transition Good luck with her and we would love to see pictures as she becomes more comfortable

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic of her in her playpen where she normally hides (although today she is under the bed). I think she looks depressed, but I will leave that for the vet to decide.
She did eat, though.

Attachments

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is a beauty! But how does she look? Does she look depressed or am I overreacting?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet just replied and said it is okay to keep her on the medication "indefinitely" if it is helping that much. She said if and when I go to wean her off, that it must be done gradually.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad the vet was ok with it As she gets more confident inside you can work with the vet to ease her off of it. You will have to be the Judge of how she is feeling by the way she acts Will she interact with you at all? Do you know anything about her history? How long had you been feeding her outside?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe a vet was okay with you giving her that drug and especially the "indefinitely" part. I don't think she looks depressed, I think she looks scared which is perfectly normal for an outdoor semi-feral cat who now has to live indoors. I took in a feral cat in June of 19 and it has taken her this long just to comfortable to be on the same couch with me, and even then she keeps her distance. It takes a long time.

I applaud you for taking her in and keeping her safe, I am just not sure about that drug being used constantly. It is a crutch.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad the vet was ok with it As she gets more confident inside you can work with the vet to ease her off of it. You will have to be the Judge of how she is feeling by the way she acts Will she interact with you at all? Do you know anything about her history? How long had you been feeding her outside?
She will interact only when she is on the medication. I have been caring for her for 4 years, found her in the woods behind my apartment - she had already been spayed. She has a complicated history and I have posted a few threads about her on this site.

She is more semi-feral - she can be petted.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't believe a vet was okay with you giving her that drug and especially the "indefinitely" part. I don't think she looks depressed, I think she looks scared which is perfectly normal for an outdoor semi-feral cat who now has to live indoors. I took in a feral cat in June of 19 and it has taken her this long just to comfortable to be on the same couch with me, and even then she keeps her distance. It takes a long time.

I applaud you for taking her in and keeping her safe, I am just not sure about that drug being used constantly. It is a crutch.
She has been inside since June 4th and will only come out of hiding when on medication. So I think the medication is a good thing. I am surprised the vet didn't request to see her. I told her I could bring her in if necessary, but that I would prefer not to given her current state. I did send photos in the email.

I am glad your feral is getting comfortable - being on the couch with you is a very big deal!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This one is from when I first brought her in; the other picture is more recent.

Attachments

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will look up your other threads it sounds interesting Sounds like she was making progress on the medication So go slow and see what steps she is comfortable with. Being inside is very strange to her but slowly she will learn she is safe You have been helping her a long time outside and I’m sure it will pay off

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She has been inside since June 4th and will only come out of hiding when on medication. So I think the medication is a good thing. I am surprised the vet didn't request to see her. I told her I could bring her in if necessary, but that I would prefer not to given her current state. I did send photos in the email.

I am glad your feral is getting comfortable - being on the couch with you is a very big deal!

Your girl feline is beautiful, reminds me of my Jeff, (avatar). I am glad the meds are working but mind what the vet said about weaning her off of them.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice looking kitty! :) I love tabbies! :loveeyes:
My first cat was a tabby.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to have a "tiger cat"... before I knew what the word "tabby" meant.
We weren't allowed to have any cats because my father raised hunting dogs and he said that the dogs would "eat" the cat.
Little did I know that cats and dogs can be friends if they are raised up together. Go figure... :dunno:

When I went away to college, I was finally able to adopt my own cat and he was a gray tabby that looked a lot like yours except he had white "socks."

Vet just replied and said it is okay to keep her on the medication "indefinitely" if it is helping that much. She said if and when I go to wean her off, that it must be done gradually.
Maybe you already know this but the pills aren't supposed to be the "cure," per se, but an additional thing to helping a person (or a cat) get over anxiety.

You give the meds then use behavioral therapy to work through the problems that cause anxiety. The pills "take the edge off" the anxiety to make it easier for the therapy to work.

I don't see any reason why you can't do the same with a cat as you do a person.

Talk to the vet and, maybe, a behaviorist if you can find one. Use your skills at helping cats feel safe and take the advice of your trusted professionals. Do what you can to help your cat feel safe inside the house and being around people. As she learns that humans aren't going to try to "eat" her and becomes more confident, start withdrawing the meds. Eventually, she'll learn to adjust to being a house cat.

Just remember that Ativan is a SERIOUS medication and don't trifle with it or else it can cause more problems than it solves.
You don't want your cat to get addicted and have to go through painful (and possibly life threatening) withdrawal when the pills stop. You don't want the cat to learn that the solution to her problems comes in the form of a little, white pill. You want to use it as a MEANS to a solution but not the solution by itself.

That's good advice for cats AND humans! :)