At wit's end - looking for any feedback!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too could not surrender Mia, even if her presence has created turmoil in my home. But there are things that can definitely be done differently...there is always something else to try. I can completely understand why you're hanging on to her, and your decision to not re-home her yet again.

Here's what I would start off with:

-Completely quarantine Mia in an area of the home that the other pair are either not interested in, or don't hang out in regularly. This should be a space where the pair do not have access to Mia...preferably with a door. Set Mia up in there with litterbox, food dish, bedding (blankets, towels, cat bed, whatever...this is important), water bowl, scratch post, toys, etc. This is HER space!!!
-Leave Mia in room for 2-3 weeks, with NO access to resident kitties...no contact should be made with other cats. Make sure resident kitties are being showered with attention, and Mia gets short and meaningful interaction sequences with you as well.
-After 3 weeks, swap bedding with Mia and resident kitties. Begin moving her food bowl by the door of her space. Also, begin moving resident kitties' food bowls by Mia's door. Do this for another 5-7 days. Remember to swap that bedding! You can also rotate toys among them, as another way to pick up scent.
-Begin placing Mia out for short time periods with resident kitties. If hostility (not play aggression) mounts, remove Mia back to her room. Shower resident kitties with lovin'.
-Continue bed swapping and moving food dishes closer and closer to Mia's door. If at any time, resident kitties are laying beside her door, let Mia come out for a visit, closely monitoring the hostility levels. If it gets ugly, she goes back.
-Gradually begin increasing Mia's "out" time...let resident kitties investigate her space too at this point.

This will take a lot of patience, and effort...and this will also take TIME. What you're doing is completely re-integrating Mia and starting the introduction process over. I cannot stress how much time and how gradual this needs to be...generally the slower, the better.

Good luck! This will work!!!! Don't give up on this little girl, or your other kitties either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillyncali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wookie - you have given me hope. Everyone else's suggestions were helpful but I had already tried them. Thank you so much for giving me exactly what I was looking for: something to try in an extreme situation. I will never give up and you have given me a renewed plan to put in place!! Thank you!

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi LillynCali! I think wookie has given some good advice. I also have two females (one calico), and we have fostered several kitties. My tips:

* Provide them with seperate food bowls, in different rooms. If the new kitty insists on being friends with someone, move her food bowl into the same room as the more amenable calico so they can adjust.

* I see no problem with indoors/outdoors cats. All of mine have been that way, except for Puppy since he is a declaw. Yes, there are risks. It really depends on the cats though. One of my girls looks both ways before crossing the street. The other will actually not leave the yard, ever. For both of them, being indoors/outdoors helped them to adjust to new cats; it was more room to get away.

* I have also tried the bedding switch, but it never worked for me. The cats always get upset at the smell of others. What helped most is that each cat has their own room where they sleep. One cat per bedroom. In the new house, give each cat a room that's hers. Assign according to their own preferences of which human to sleep with (if you have a larger family). Leave one room (yours, probably) for "neutral zone". Make sure it has a very big bed.

* One of the calicos, at some point, will take a nap on the neutral bed. When the cat is asleep, bring in Mia. Set her on the opposite end, pet her, and talk quietly. It's best if she is also sleepy. Then go pet the other cat. If they are sleepy enough, they will wake and realize Mia is there, but be too lazy to get up and do anything about it. This helps reinforce the neutral territory. Dogs get to partake in neutral zone, too (if they are good with cats and are allowed on the bed).

To be honest, you're not going to get a happy kitty household. Certainly not with 2 calicos, a happy friendly kitten, and 2 dogs. But if they each have their own personal space, and if they can learn to share a large bed, you should only have a skirmish a week.