At Wits' End, Looking For Advice. 4 Year Old Kitty, Bowel Issues - We Think.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My poor boy Cashew.

History:

Last year October he started not finishing all his meals at one time, but rather now choosing to eat throughout day. After bloodwork, x-rays, vet says he is perfectly healthy and just getting older, changing eating habits.

This past mid-July - hurt his paw somehow. Took to vet, x-rays, put on anti-inflammatory and some pain meds.
Had vomit- hairball that week, decreased appetite, foot better so we stopped med. Started limping again and gave two more doses of the pain med, bupronorphine.
He always goes off food when he's on meds, so got prescription for mirtzapine last Saturday but didn't give to him yet. It had been 4 full days since we stopped pain med, suddenly he started going in and out of litter either straining to poop or having diarrhea - just liquid coming out, couldn't tell. We have two cats, so unsure of his last solid poop at that point.
Took to ED vet the next day, did x-ray, not blocked, not constipated, no urinary issues - they gave us vetasyl to give to him. Gave it Sunday and Monday. Monday also gave mirtzapine first time. Wednesday he was in and out of litter again, went back to vet. Did another abd x-ray- normal. Went under sedation and digital rectal exam and found impacted anal glands. Cleaned out. Issue seemed to stop.
Friday gave mirtzapine, promptly threw up, left him alone.
Saturday (yesterday) ate like a maniac all day, more than normal. Had a normal poop and then later had an enormous amount of soft poop.
Today he started with the squirts again in the litter.
I was nervous his anal glands were bothering again? Went to ED vet, but wait was 4 hours and they said he was stable, no need to stay there.
Now he's home happily sleeping like nothing happened.

What the heck? Part of me wonders if he has IBD or something, but the other part wonders if just all the meds and stress he's been under the past few week has caused the squirts, his butt hurts due to exam/impaction on Wednesday and should we just give his little belly a rest for a week and see what happens?

Any advice? Trying to do the right thing by Cashew. I should say before this episode he was fine- no vomiting (really ever) and no diarrhea.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
should we just give his little belly a rest for a week and see what happens?
I'm not a vet but thinking of this, some vets will prescribe a short term diet of boiled unseasoned white meat chicken along with a little white rice to try and settle the stomach.

You also could give him some unflavored Pedialyte and/or kitten glop - you want him to stay hydrated :) either store bought or homemade
Kitten-Rescue.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet but thinking of this, some vets will prescribe a short term diet of boiled unseasoned white meat chicken along with a little white rice to try and settle the stomach.

You also could give him some unflavored Pedialyte and/or kitten glop - you want him to stay hydrated :) either store bought or homemade
Kitten-Rescue.com
thanks! I bought pedialyte. I also bought 100% pure pumpkin to try, but of course our other fat cat who doesn't need it ate it, while Cashew looked at me like I was crazy.

He slept for a couple hours, wolfed down his dinner (they are on all wet-food diets, have been for almost 4 years) and is now grooming.

I'm so confused.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
He slept for a couple hours, wolfed down his dinner (they are on all wet-food diets, have been for almost 4 years) and is now grooming.
All marvelous signs!! If the litterbox results are close to normal you should be in the clear, and it would be the meds disrupting his system I'm thinking.

Hang in there, let us know how things progress :vibes::goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should also add his weight has been stable since last year and every time a vet sees him, they remark on how good and healthy he looks. I inquired about an ultrasound, but they didn't think it was needed. Two different vets said this.