At what point...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Or carve a pumpkin at Halloween, sing loudly even if you don't sing that well, chew gum, learn piano, and play video games.
It's never too late to have that childhood.
SwampWitch I couldnt agree more!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been taking care of myself and I moved out when I was 16..so I guess it was back then. I had to pay for everything...dentist appointments were the worst, they are so expensive!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the way DH thinks about such things. He says when he grows up he wants to be a little boy. Chronologically he's 64.

I'm not sure when that moment was for me. I lived at home until I was 26, and then moved 3000 miles away. I'm not sure whether I felt "adult" well before I left or long after.
What I do know is that having just turned 60, it was awfully nice to get the offer in the mail today from my bank for the account that gives those "60 or better" all those things you've been paying for, for nothing or well discounted.
I guess I'm a big girl now.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's happened in the last 2 years...can't pin point when, but OMG it hit me like a ton of bricks.

No one cared about high school stories...or college stories...heck I couldn't even remember peoples names that I use to know from those stories.

Sooo...now I can't wait to have a kid to live vicariously through them

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I like the way DH thinks about such things. He says when he grows up he wants to be a little boy. Chronologically he's 64.
I love it!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 18 and started "telling" my parents what I was doing, rather than "asking". And more so when I moved in with Rob later that year.

I reached that "adult" thing quick, I'm getting married 12 days before my 21st birthday and our house SHOULD be finished by spring/early summer. But I was always more mature and acting older than my age, for as long as I can remember.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was when I signed the mortgage papers on my house. Even worse was when I realized I had messed up my credit rating and it was up to ME to fix it. Thats when I started taking responsibility for my own actions...financially at least. I'll still blame the cats when something breaks.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know... it kinda crept up on me. I think I grew up fast (I had a child of my own at 17) in some respects, but others are just starting to kick in. I'm getting married in 2009, and thinking about opening up a business. So I can feel it... yes, but once I've made other certain landmark achievements, it might actually hit me again.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's kind of a difficult question to answer. I grew up in a fairly abusive household. My father wanted two miniature adults, instead of two little daughters. Both of my parents worked (my father had his full time day job, and a part time job at night), so I was responsible for most of the cooking, cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping. I guess I grew up and acted 'mature' at a pretty young age. I started working a real job (not babysitting) not long before my 16th birthday. I always seemed to hang around people who were much older than I. I got married at 22, divorced at 30. Bought my house at 31. I was a fairly reserved child, and a pretty responsible teenager (although, I have to admit...I did have a couple of rather wild, rebellious years!) I guess I never really felt the transition from teen to adult.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been living out of my parents house since I was 18. But I moved back after a few months then out again. I still got help as far as money from them and my bf at the time. So it was like living like an adult but I wasn't because I hadn't become fully self sufficient yet. Now I've been living with my current SO for a little over a year now and I think it was at that point I felt truly in control. I had a stable job, I was about to move in with the love of my life, we opened a joint saving account to save for our future house, and I was signing lease papers with him. Granted I still need some help every now and again I feel more involved in my life and in control over my future.