At what point does one realize it's time to let go of their fur baby? I'm not ready to yet.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a conversation a little while ago with one of the vets at Pumpkin's clinic. We were going over his medical hx, most notably the constipation issue. Somehow we wandered into the subject of having to let go of our pets. I told her I am not ready and she reminded me of how old he was and eventually this will happen. (I'm paraphrasing her).

I've always been a worrier, whether it be about my health, Pumpkin's or whatever. A doctor once asked me (this was after I major surgery nearly 15 years ago) "why do you always think the worst," to which I responded "because I've been through so much." This still holds true today.

I am worried that his vet will find something that can't be treated or will be too expensive to treat. What if he will need surgery? What if they find something so serious that they will suggest that I have him put down? I cannot and will not do that.

I had to run a couple of errands today and picked up another toy for Pumpkin. I told the vet I spoke with today how he went nuts over that toy, was kicking t it, chewing on it and tossed it over the edge of our bed and then jumped down more than once to go after it. In other words he is not acting like something is horribly wrong.

He pooped again today but not much. I am getting scared. And I hope he can wait until Wednesday to go have this checked out. The online vet believes he can wait. I wish that I could say the same about me. I am a basket case and am scared about what the rest of the week has in store for the both of us.

I don't know what to do. I am literally losing sleep over this. Every morning when I get up I check my security camera, which at nights is trained on his litter box in the bathroom. I can't stop praying for poop. Is that nuts or what?

How on Earth am I going to cope? I've got no family nearby.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I haven't gone back to read your previous post(s), and I need to do so. But, in the meantime, if constipation is the primary issue, letting a cat go for that alone is pretty much ridiculous. You can't in all sincerity worry about what you don't know. What good does that do Pumpkin or yourself?

I have a 19+ yo cat with multiple health issues. No, she is not what she once was, but she is not in my mind ready to go. For now, I will say that I think you are overthinking things. Maybe I will have more to comment on after I go through your previous post(s).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I haven't gone back to read your previous post(s), and I need to do so. But, in the meantime, if constipation is the primary issue, letting a cat go for that alone is pretty much ridiculous. You can't in all sincerity worry about what you don't know. What good does that do Pumpkin or yourself?

I have a 19+ yo cat with multiple health issues. No, she is not what she once was, but she is not in my mind ready to go. For now, I will say that I think you are overthinking things. Maybe I will have more to comment on after I go through your previous post(s).
I should have been more clear in my post. I'm worried that megacolon might be what's wrong Not knowing is driving me crazy and I am literally losing sleep over this.

I feel helpless. I'm doing all I can and it feels like it's not enough.

I hope you are right that I'm overthinking this.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
How old is your cat? What are his primary issues? Is he on any medication? Does he urinate ok? When you said he pooped a little, how many days does he usually go without pooping? Does he seem lethargic? What does he eat?

I always expect the worst. That way I am prepared if it happens. If it doesn’t, I am pleasantly surprised.

Veterinarians have lousy bed side manners. For the most part, in my experience. Usually the people that become vets are people with an interest in medicine, but they don’t connect well with people. They go into vet medicine and find out that all they do is have to communicate with people. Some are condescending, some are rude and some are just downright unable to understand how the stupid callus things they say can hurt people. Not all vets. Some are great with people.

Anyway, don’t let a couple of offhandedly unthinking comments from a veterinarian take up space in your head. If you can help it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see. And I am sorry if I sounded 'cold'. But, I do know megacolon doesn't have to be terminal, so keep that in mind. Let's see what the vet says, and go from there. You've been given some ideas above, but it will all depend on your discussion with the vet if any/all are potential options.

As I alluded to before, it might be best for us all to review your previous post(s) to best understand what is going on.
My cat's constipation is getting worse & I have no way to get him to the vet | TheCatSite

Last edited:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi.
How old is your cat? What are his primary issues? Is he on any medication? Does he urinate ok? When you said he pooped a little, how many days does he usually go without pooping? Does he seem lethargic? What does he eat?

I always expect the worst. That way I am prepared if it happens. If it doesn’t, I am pleasantly surprised.

Veterinarians have lousy bed side manners. For the most part, in my experience. Usually the people that become vets are people with an interest in medicine, but they don’t connect well with people. They go into vet medicine and find out that all they do is have to communicate with people. Some are condescending, some are rude and some are just downright unable to understand how the stupid callus things they say can hurt people. Not all vets. Some are great with people.

Anyway, don’t let a couple of offhandedly unthinking comments from a veterinarian take up space in your head. If you can help it.
Pumpkin is about 15 years old, I've had him for just over 11 years and adopted him when we were still living in Pulaski NY (North of Syracuse) when someone abandoned him, Transitioning from being an outdoor cat only to indoor has been challenging for him. Pumpkin used to poop at least twice daily when I first got him but after awhile (probably just a few months after) he started to get constipation off and on.

The first remedy they tried was Laxatone but it didn't do much good. Then they prescribed Lactulose, which he hated. They tried giving him all kinds of different flavours and it didn't do any good at all. So, they decided to not only give him Laxatone, they also prescribed the Miralax, given just like I described earlier.

The online vet said to increase his Miralax to 1/3 tsp per dose and double the amount of Laxatone. He's also on Pepcid a/c original strength for an antacid. He's been on that for a few years but not nearly as long as the Miralax.

He pees ok. His appetite isn't too bad considering he's constipated. I just wish he'd crank out more than one poop a day that's an inch longer or less.

He's not lethargic but seems to have less energy than usual. I got him a new catnip toy today and he loved it. He was kicking it, tossed it over the bed a couple of times and jumped on the floor to chase it. In other words,. Pumpkin was having a ball. He didn't act sick.

I gave him his meds a short time ago and had to wipe it on his paws. He got part of it off. I wish he wouldn't fight me on this and am hoping he knows I'm doing this because I love him. I tried getting him to play with me again but that didn't work. he's acting tired.

I don't know what else to do. I am stumped.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did they do X-rays or an ultrasound? If not, get at least X-rays done so you can either treat, or have piece of mind that it isn’t.
They will at least do xrays when I take him on Wednesday. I'm not sure what else they will do. Maybe an enema?

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Constipation or even megacolen is not a death sentance. Both can be treated with medication or even just dietary changes. There are plenty of remidies for constipation out there most of which involve fiber.
When I first heard of Megacolon (not long after I adopted Pumpkin) it scared me because I thought that if his issues persisted, he may one day have to deal with it. Sorry if I sound panicky, I am worried sick about him. I know how painful severe constipation can be due to my having it really bad about 15 years ago before they diagnosed me with a strangulated hernia.