at what point does a cat throwing up become a great concern?

mmylosx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, i have a kitten (6 month old male) who has thrown up around 4 times in the last month and a bit who previously hadn’t thrown up once before. at the start of last month he had his first vaccination and was completely fine, however about 5 days later he threw up and then he threw up around another 3/4 days after that. earlier last week, he went for his second vaccination and again, was completely fine until 5ish days later where he threw up and then again threw up around an hour ago. at these vet visits, he’s also been having flea treatment (feb visit he also was given a dewormer). other than throwing up, his behaviour has been completely normal, even right before and after throwing up. as the title says, at what point does it become a great concern, is this normal?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you tie these episodes to anything else aside from the vaccinations? Like a particular food? I really don't think it would be the vaccinations or dewormers simply because it was so much later, however, it certainly is coincidental :headscratch:. If you can't tie it to a specific food,then I would probably give the Vet a call and let them know what has happened and get their opinion. It is never good when cats vomit, and four times in a month seems like too much to me, although it's nothing to panic about. These are not hairballs,right? Even that is way too much though.

I have one cat who will regurgitate his food sometimes because he eats it too fast, and another who will toss his cookies if he eats certain foods. With vomiting, you often have to become a detective.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think this is enough times to be concerned and would warrant a vet visit. Does he eat dry food or wet food? When he throws up is it food, bile or hairball? I agree with the other comment that it is unlikely to be the vaccines or dewormers that would cause this.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding him the same thing as previously or did you change food? Each cat reacts differently to meds. I would ask the vet to space out the vaccinations a bit longer to see if he stops vomiting and you can look for a pattern.