At what age should we let him out?

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!!

Kiddie is just 3 weeks old but I'm wondering at what age he will be old enough to go outside. Babs was 2 when we first let her out but that's only because we were in an appartment when we got her and let her out as soon as we bought our house.

I don't want him to run off although I'm not really concerned with that - I've had dozens of cats in my life that all went outside and they never ran off.

I'm just curious... in case someone has been through this lately...

Thank you!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zabby27

Hi!!

Kiddie is just 3 weeks old but I'm wondering at what age he will be old enough to go outside. Babs was 2 when we first let her out but that's only because we were in an appartment when we got her and let her out as soon as we bought our house.

I don't want him to run off although I'm not really concerned with that - I've had dozens of cats in my life that all went outside and they never ran off.

I'm just curious... in case someone has been through this lately...

Thank you!!!
I would wait until he has received ALL his vaccinations (including rabies) and has been neutered. I would also recommend looking into making an outdoor enclosure so he can enjoy the outdoors and be safe.

Katie

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definately wouldn't let him outside until he has atleast had his 6 week and 12 week injections. You can let him outside on a leash so he can have a sniff around, but don't let him out on his own until he has been neutered. This is for the sake of any unspayed females that may be in the area!

Have fun!

bren75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
why does he need to go outside? Mine never do and are very happy but most importantly safe... why risk it?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also say that a young kitten of the age you are talking about does not belong outside. You need to wait till the first vaccinations are given, and then wait even a few days longer before letting the kitten outside.

IF you decide to let this kitten be indoors/outdoors know the risks: They include

Predatory birds
wild predators
other feral cats
cat bites
cars
disease
toxins
getting lost
getting abused
fleas
worms

On the contrary, and indoor cat is at risk of

being shut up accidentally in a closet
possible choking if it wears a collar and the collar gets caught on something
being terrified of the vacuum cleaner
fleas (always a possibility indoor or outdoor)
crawling into the dryer without you noticing

So my point is know the risks- an indoor cat is safer healthwise. And a small kitten that has never been outdoors does not understand what he is missing

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never let mine out either, only one goes out on a leash in the back yard because he alway's has.
My daughter had gotten a kitten when it was a month old had her to the vet and spayed a little later, and let her stay on the patio and back yard with her 2 basset hounds and a year later she was gone, they never found her, and she was heart broken, I have never beleived they are safe from jumping fences and winding up gone.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cats that were allowed inside and outside, and to be honest thought the people who kept cats inside only were "strange", unless they lived in an area where it is "unsafe". My first inside only cats were Garfield and Festus, and I am very happy to have them inside. They do not miss being outside, I don't think. They are in no danger of raccoons or any other dangers, as my outside (barn) cats are.

They are very happy. Even Sugartoes, my foster, who used to go outside at her previous house, is happy inside. She looks out the back door once in a while, but enjoys playing inside, sitting on a sunny windowsill, and just being a housecat.

melsa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to mention that indoor cats have a greater life expectancy, but if you must let it outside at least have it microchipped and put a collar and tag on it because there are people who will assume a cat (especially a kitten) who is outside is a stray and they'll take it in and keep it. I really think people should keep cats inside though.

cincocatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have six cats, all who are inside cats. They seem to be quite happy.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few reaons to think about before you decide to let your cat outside!
1. Cats are less likely to be hit by a car when crossing the living room than when crossing the street

2.YOu their owner are less likely to bite them than free-roaming animals are.

3. There is less chance of getting caught in a steel-jaw, leghold trap.

4. They will not catch any illness from other free roaming cats.

5. When it's ten o'clock at night, you will always know where they are.

6. It will be more difficult for people to steal them.

7. They will not get shot at as often.

8. They will not disappear as often.

9. They will live longer, happier lives, and so will YOU!

Just off hand this is a few good points I can think of.. Anyone care to add go ahead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will wait til he gets neutered and gets his vaccinations.
And I know that people who keep their cats indoor have good points but there is no way I won't allow Kiddie to go outside, We have a huge yard and my other cat Babs is ALWAYS outside; she even spends nights out at times, she loves it and nothing bad has ever happened to her. And Kiddie would see Babs go out and it would be cruel to deprive him of that. And I don't want to keep Kiddie cooped in; he'll be more active if he can run around and climb the trees and chase the butterflies.
But I didn't think about getting him neutered first so thank you so much for telling me.... that way he won't be tempted to run off after the ladies! hehehe

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a huge yard. Do you mean its fenced in so the cats can't stray away. Then thats fine. Iwish I could have a fenced in yard for my cats..

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melsa

Not to mention that indoor cats have a greater life expectancy, but if you must let it outside at least have it microchipped and put a collar and tag on it because there are people who will assume a cat (especially a kitten) who is outside is a stray and they'll take it in and keep it. I really think people should keep cats inside though.
That is not the worst thing people will do to strays. Quite a few people have no qualms with taking a "stray" 10 miles up the road and throwing it into a ditch.

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All neighbors' cats go outside so I always have 3-4 cats in my yard and I know who they belong to. My neighbors don't assume cats are just strays... Babs as an ID collar and so will Kiddie when he starts going outside. My yard has a fence but my cats don't have problems jumping over and the front yard is not fenced in and that's usually where they go. They just walk along happily with their fellow neighbors. We had Babs fixed so we have less males coming around now!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you have made up your mind about letting him out. Good luck. I'm glad you are at least waiting until he's older though.

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we'll probably wait until after the big colds of winter.

I didn't make up my mind. I never questionned whether to let him out or not. I'm in the country, I don't know anybody who keeps their cats in so it's not part of MY reality, although I understand those who are wary of letting their kits go out. For us, it just feels unnatural but that's only because we've never known otherwise...

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is all about making educated choices. You have been educated about the risks, but you know the reality of where you live. I only wish more kitties lived in a safe neighborhood where they could easily go outside to play.

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right, Becki... I couldn't let my kitties out if I was in the city... All the cars and strangers; I'd be terrified!!

It's tough being a kiddie mommy at times! lol