At what age should a cat be neutered?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had 4 of mine neutered at 8 weeks / 2 pounds. They are all over 3 years old and they are fine.

There was a great discussion at the Best Friends Forum by the vet that runs their veterinary operations there. Early spay/neuter (e.g. 2 pounds/8 weeks) has been done for the last 20 years and the only oddity she has ever witnessed is that adult cats have what she called a "youngish" looking face and/or a "smallish" head. Their heads don't always get as large as cats altered at a later age. For the 4 cats that I've had neutered young, only 1 of them has a head that is proportionally smaller than where his body is (but he is a very large cat).

Many general practioner vets wait until they are 4-6 months old and it seems like 6 months is the norm. It is my belief that this is just being old fashioned, as the clinical information doesn't support this any longer. These vets are going off of information that is 20 years old.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association a few years back completely debunked the myth of early-age neutering causing urinary tract problems later in life. The study followed several dozen cats who were adopted from shelters. Some were neutered at 2-5 months, some at 6-12 months, and others when they were older than 1 year. Not one of the cats who were neutered between 2-5 months of age developed urinary problems. Ironically, two of the cats who were older than 1 year when they were neutered did develop urinary blockages.

Bottom line is that there is no evidence whatsoever that there is any risk with pediatric neutering. However, there is substantial evidence that waiting until sexual maturity is risky in another way - considering that euthanasia in shelters due to overpopulation kills more cats than anything else. Pediatric neutering saves lives.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at how many people on the board had to cancel there spay appt because the female went in to heat. I say do it ASAp to avoid this trouble.