At what age can you transition a cat from kitten kibble to adult kibble?

meowfrau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My eight month-old cat has been eating Iams ProActive Health Kitten formula. My plan is to eventually transition him to an adult food that is 40% protein for sensitive skin (his gets really dry) and a sensitive tummy (bless his heart). How old should my cat be before I transition him to this adult food? 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people will stop feeding kitten food after their kitten has been spayed, usually around 6 months. There are more calories in the kitten food and this can contribute to the "spay sway".
I think most people transition at around a year old. It also depends on your cat. If they're a large breed still growing then maybe keep him on kitten food for longer.

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Life stage foods are a gimmick if you ask me therefore I would say transition whenever. Heck if he is so sensitive and does well on what you feed him then keep him on the same formula and don't worry about "adult" food. When have you ever seen a mouse scurry across the floor with a life stage label across its head? I've always gone to an "adult" food right away and my animals have always been fine. I took in an emaciated 4-5 week old kitten two weeks ago and she's already gained a good bit of weight eating the "adult" foods that I give my 8 month old and 5 year old. Eyes are clear, fur is starting to soften up and get shiny from its previous brittle/dull state, no runny nose, no icky poops or smelly gas and certainly no lack of engery out of her!!! I doubt kitten food could do anything more for her health, only less for my wallet due to the higher price tag.

Jm2c. :)