At My Wits End!!!

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!!

My cat luna had her second litter yesterday morning, and unfortunately it didn't end well. All were dead and severely deformed... and this experience will haunt my dreams until the day I die! I feel quite disturbed by how they looked and the whole situation

One was exceptionally big, I'd say the size of a two week old, which concerned me in terms of causing mum to get an infection etc, and the rest were quite small.

I am neutering both my queen and my stud, as this was totally distressing for me and obviously mum, and I never want to encounter anything like this again.

The issue I'm having, is mum isn't using her litter tray. All the kittens were born by midday, and I took her to the nearest emergency 24hr vets to be checked over, and it devastates me to say the only one that survived more than a few minutes had to be put to sleep.

I don't think I've ever felt so much guilt, and remorse in my whole breeding history. I am beyond traumatised.... lord knows how my luna must feel...

Should I be concerned about lack of urination etc? She is pining and clinging to me so tight emotionally too.. is there anything I can do to ease her pain? She is also not eating and drinking as much, but I think this could possibly be expected. I know after mama cats have babies, they don't like to leave them for a few days, so eating, drinking and toilet trips are sparse temporarily, but there are no kittens, so do the same rules apply? Although luna has had a check up and given the all clear, it's now 5.10am here and am wondering what the signs of an infection would be.. we are going to our registered vets tomorrow morning for a top to toe check up and scan to make sure all is well and discuss spaying, but I think I'm so worked up by all this, I'm panicked and paranoid I will lose my luna too!! There are no outward signs of anything being wrong, but I just want to make sure if luna does start to get poorly, I'll know the signs and deal with it ASAP.

I am a breeder by the way, just so people are clear. I have two beautiful registered burmese. Luna, and Theo

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She did ate the placentas?
Possibly she may be somewhat dehydrated, although cats dont sweat in the same way we humans do.

Im not sure what is played, I agree with you her non peeing etc, is potentially alarming.

But you do have access to this 24 vet, IF it becomes any worse, and tomorrow are you going to your regular vet.
Observe, and hope for the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did eat the placenta of some of them..
I wasn't sure how to manage the situation, but figured it was probably best to go through the motions and hope for the best outcome, which would be either a healthy kitten, or minimum suffering. The only placenta she didn't eat was the first one. It was in pretty bad shape to say the least, and I could tell instantly it wasn't right; so took it all away immediately.
The last vet she saw was at the 24hr vet in Enfield around 1.30pm Sunday lunch time. It's now 6am, and my vet has an 8am opening time, and I'll be waiting at the doors..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
New shy cats can often wait with everything even 48 hours. Perhaps she too does, having this experience and still being affected??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat did not get up to pee for 12 hours after having her kittens.

Hormonally, your cat may not feel at her best for a few days. Her body was primed to nurse and care for kittens.

I hope she checks out okay today!