At My Wit's End!

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. 

I’m struggling with some food questions for my cats. My 3 adult male cats have been eating Wellness wet food for a few years. My husband and I have decided to try a new food for both financial reasons and because one of the kitties has been throwing up more often over the course of the last year, despite being on stomach acid medicine prescribed by the vet. We currently buy the 12.5 oz cans from Amazon, and end up spending about $100 a month. It’s not terrible, but we’d love to decrease that amount if possible. So I began researching new food choices and my head started to spin. I was looking for wet food that is chicken/turkey, didn’t contain many vegetables, had a higher calorie amount and were’t high in things like potatoes that add carbs. I found that very few foods checked all the boxes. I would really appreciate some recommendations of brands that will help save us money, but wont compromise their health. Thanks so much!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What line of Wellness are you currently using?

I think there is only one at that size but different flavors.But if someone wants to suggest something it's good to know which you already use specifically.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wellness Complete Health Natural Canned Grain Free Wet Cat Food- Chicken Pate and Turkey Pate.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

You might consider the Sheba Chicken and Turkey Pates.   I don't know if they come in the larger, more economical sizes but they do meet your requirements when it comes to the ingredients.   I pay $13.68 for a case of 24  3 oz cans.    The Fancy Feast pates are another less expensive canned food that might be an option for you.  

Sheba Premium Chicken Pate Entree Grain-Free Canned Cat

Ingredients

1. Chicken, Chicken Broth, Meat By-Products, Chicken Liver, Poultry By-Products, Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Added Color, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate), Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex [Source of Vitamin K Activity]), Dl-Methionine, Salt, Taurine.
Sheba Premium Turkey Pate Entree Grain-Free Canned Cat

Ingredients

1. Turkey, Turkey Broth, Meat By-Products, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Poultry By-Products, Natural Flavor, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Copper Sulfate), Guar Gum, Added Color, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex [Source of Vitamin K Activity]), Dl-Methionine, Salt, Taurine.

Last edited:

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have looked into Fancy Feast, but they actually end up being more expensive because I would go through 6 cans a day (feeding each cat one can in the morning and one at night). 

I will look into the Sheba. Thanks!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have looked into Fancy Feast, but they actually end up being more expensive because I would go through 6 cans a day (feeding each cat one can in the morning and one at night). 

I will look into the Sheba. Thanks!
I only purchase Fancy Feast and Sheba when they are under $0.35/can.  They go on sale frequently at Target, Amazon, PetSmart, and Chewy (watch out for coupons, subscription discounts, or free gift card w/ purchase offers).

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm..It looks like Amazon has the 3oz cans in a 24 pack for $12.90 with subscribe and save. If I bought 8 cases a month, it would be eligible for the 15% off discount, which would make it less than $100. Do you know if sheba has larger cans? I know FF does not. 

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I just checked Sheba's website and it looks like the largest size they make are the 3 oz cans.  I agree - these 3 oz cans kill the budgets of those of us with multiple cats. 

Last edited:

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hmm..It looks like Amazon has the 3oz cans in a 24 pack for $12.90 with subscribe and save. If I bought 8 cases a month, it would be eligible for the 15% off discount, which would make it less than $100. Do you know if sheba has larger cans? I know FF does not. 
The 24-count case of Sheba turkey pate was on sale a couple weeks ago for $8.06 (before the Subscribe & Save 15% discount).  I would watch for price drops!  Amazon frequently matches Chewy's price. :)  Also, you can use the coupon code PETSSNS for 20% off your first pet supplies S&S order.

Last edited:

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Would I be better off just ordering from Chewy's? I kind of have to pick one place that will do a reoccuring shipment. I have a young child and no extra time to shop around and actually go to the store lol! That's why we've been doing Amazon for so long- it was the easiest!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks! Would I be better off just ordering from Chewy's? I kind of have to pick one place that will do a reoccuring shipment. I have a young child and no extra time to shop around and actually go to the store lol! That's why we've been doing Amazon for so long- it was the easiest!
The price doesn't get locked in when you subscribe (for both Amazon and Chewy), so I don't ever keep my subscriptions past the initial shipment.  But if you need a recurring shipment, I would go with Chewy rather than Amazon.  Their customer service is the best!

margd

Veteran
Purraise

The price doesn't get locked in when you subscribe (for both Amazon and Chewy), so I don't ever keep my subscriptions past the initial shipment.  But if you need a recurring shipment, I would go with Chewy rather than Amazon.  Their customer service is the best!
   I second the Chewy recommendation.  The shipping is very fast and the customer service is amazing. 

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick note wellness has recently had a voluntary recall. You should run a quick Google search and make sure none of your supply are affected.

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our one case actually was part of the recall. I've been in touch with Wellness and they are going to replace it. Thank you so much!

alexisfaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told that the only safe FF to feed are the classic pates in Chicken and Turkey! I guess because of some of the ingredients, including fish, etc. I would consider rotating the sheba with the ff classics though, assuming I could get it for a decent price. Thanks!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I was told that the only safe FF to feed are the classic pates in Chicken and Turkey! I guess because of some of the ingredients, including fish, etc. I would consider rotating the sheba with the ff classics though, assuming I could get it for a decent price. Thanks!
I feed the Fancy Feast Tender Liver & Chicken Feast, Turkey & Giblets Feast, and Tender Beef & Chicken Feast.  These three flavors come in the green 30-count variety pack, and they don't contain fish.

Sheba goes on sale frequently and there are almost always manufacturer coupons.

Fancy Feast and Sheba are about 55-60% of our kitties' wet food rotation, since we cannot afford to feed the expensive brands all the time.