At my wits end

catsfurme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 To Dad,

It's a bit like having the tips of your fingers chopped off and not have any feeling in the end.   Having the back claws chopped off takes away any defense they have if they get out and have to defend themselves.  (The back claws are used to fight with, i.e. defense)  And yes, there is a possibility of infection.  

I personally don't do that to my cats.  I also don't let them outside unless they are in my sight (one at a time) at all times.  However, outside is a risk of other cats, they are so territorial.  They can pick up a disease or fleas.  And please do not use one of those icky collars on them.  Buy good flea drops.

I have scratch pads for my cats, cardboard, they love that.  I have a canvas hamper my oldest uses and I don't care if she shreds it.  Next year I'll want something else.  She also likes those big black trash bags filled with old clothes, dirty clothes or blankets, etc.  But the best so far is a piece of wood from the hardware store.  I believe it's called "Trim Molding".  It measures approximately 1 1/2 " wide by 1" thick, about 45" tall.  It fits in the corner  between the door to my bedroom and the wall.  That's because "Slick" wanted to scratch the wood trim around the door.  He now loves his stick and uses it faithfully.

I have neighbors who call me once a month to come over and trim their cat's claws.  I have encouraged them to gently play/pet their little feet and claws so they get used to touch and it now takes minutes to trim.  It's well worth the $4.00 spent for the clippers.  I understand there is a little grinder about the size of hair clippers now.  However, I think the noise would freak them out.  There is also a double sided tape that I have used made for just for that purpose.  They don't like the sticky on it and will leave the sofa and chairs alone

I have two cats who have all their claws and one who only has her back claws.  I have to pick her up sometimes when she wants up on the bed or the sink when I brush my teeth.  She was a rescue;  she also doesn't have any teeth except for her tearing teeth so I have to make liquid meals for her.  The reason I tell you this is because I love my cats and do about anything for their health and happiness.  These small creatures are here for our enjoyment, protection and well being.  My cats offer me hours of solace, peace and loving.  I can find ways to keep them from scratching.  I have nice furniture and I respect your concern about having it destroyed.

I also keep a spray bottle filled with water around; that works for anything.  I call it "behaviour modification".  They learn quickly and I can't remember that last time I had to use it.

Good luck.

CatsFurMe

catmama21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure some of these ideas were already listed but here goes a few that have worked wonders for me :) You can find them at petsmart or online, they are the corner scratchers that attach harmlessly at the corner of your couches / furniture. You can try tall cat trees with scratchers on them placed around your house. Also, cat's looove wood :) If you have any large logs outside, knock all the dirt & buggies off and put it in the house, sprinkle with catnip and ta-daa, natural and free scratching post.. I personally had the vet show me the soft paws and on one of my cats, they worked great, my other one...well he chewed them off in a couple hours, so I just gave up on that :) Also, spraying the area with a little water & vinegar mix keeps them away too, kitties don't like the smell of vinegar! :) Good luck!