At my wits end

kisami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to vent with other kitty lovers and just need advice badly here.

One of my cats is having major litterbox issues and I just am at a loss of what to do.

I have 4 cats (which was too many I think but so much for thinking ahead lol)

I started off with just one cat Kami. I met my husband and we moved in together. After maybe a year we decided to get another cat and adopted Kisa from a cat rescue out of someone's home. Kisa was like maybe 6 months old or so, spayed and healthy with her shots and everything. There were tons and tons of other cats with her as well at the rescue and before that with her mother and siblings.

Since pretty much day one that we brought her home we have had litterbox problems.

She is great about peeing in the box. But she doesn't want to poop in it. Instead she will go on the floor in front of it.

Right away I called the rescue and asked her for advice and she told me she never had a problem with it. and that they just used cheapy store brand clumping litter.

About maybe a year after that we found a stray and took him in, Keeba and then maybe 3 years later we got our last cat Kye. Both males.

We had 2 litterboxes. We have had covered, auto cleaning, and now uncovered and a really big one. No matter what we do she still refuses.

We just now moved into a really nice but tiny apartment. We can only fit one box. The first 3 weeks here we had zero problems at all. Everyone used the litterbox perfectly.

Now tonight I go in and she did it again and pooped right on the carpet by the box! We have a plastic mat thing under it to catch litter and is a bit bigger then the box but she didn't even go on that but straight on to the carpet.

I do not know what to do with her. I am super great at keeping the box and the surrounding area clean. I clean the box twice a day. The day it happened I had just cleaned the box even.

This has been like 5-6 years dealing with this and trying everything I can think of and nothing works. As much as it pains me I really am thinking of trying to find her a new home. Maybe one with no other cats or just one other might work better for her?

sigh

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You only have one litterbox for 4 cats? It doesn't matter where you put more - you need more boxes if that's the case. (General rule of thumb is one more box than you have cats - at minimum with 4 cats you'd need 4 "average" sized boxes) Only having one box is asking for litterbox problems with 4 cats - trust me I thought I could get away with it & many many months later I have a cat who still has LB issues because I didn't follow the "rule".

If she's been going outside the box for that long, it's likely a habit rather than just a behavior. Is she actually standing & going poop outside the box, or is her butt hanging out of the box & she ends up pooping on the floor that way?

Have you tried Cat Attract litter?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More litterboxes, cat attract litter, feliway... Sorry to be blunt, but you say you tried "everything" when you really haven't. One litterbox will simply not cut it for that many cats. Sometimes it will not cut for even one cat, as some cats like to pee in one box and poop in another... So... No, IMO you did not try everything...

I too live in a tiny little apartment, I have 3 cats, and 3 litter boxes... ALL of them are used. You just need to prioritize and choose what is more important for you - in this case more litter boxes seem to be essential...

Also make sure to clean the spots with a good enzyme cleaner.

Your cat has been sending you clear messages that he is not happy with the setup... time to listen mom...

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used a giant 22 gallon rubbermaid tote with a side cut down for 3 cats(lived in a 1 bedroom 3 stayed in the main living room/kitchen and 15 had bedroom...it was temporary till we closed on house) Any way they were ok but of those 3 none had issues in the past. Knowing she has issue with pooping is it possible she gets constipated and it hurts her? or she may be one of the cats who likes the idea of one box for peeing one for poop. You really NEED to have at least one more box, Even if you do what I did-throw it right before the bedroom door or in nook. I couldnt keep mine ing tub cause I used scoopable an I have a digger....and a slow cat whod probably have never found it if not in plain site. Come on this is your friend of of how many years? I have a cat who was BORN into my hands who HATES ppl and litterboxes-we came to a solution-she gets a puppy pad and less freedom but it works for her and shes got her kitty cat friends

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kisami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your advice.

The place we lived in before was much much larger. We had 2 litterboxes then and this was with 2 cats.

So if she was having the issue then, I don't think the amount of litterboxes is that important.

Sorry to be blunt, but you say you tried "everything" when you really haven't. One litterbox will simply not cut it for that many cats. Sometimes it will not cut for even one cat, as some cats like to pee in one box and poop in another... So... No, IMO you did not try everything...
I don't think that was really nice
obviously I am coming here looking for help and advice. I have tried everything that I had thought of. Changing litter and types of boxes and even rooms and placements.

My apartment now is far far too small. Right now we have the litterbox in the bedroom closet which also holds the water heater so the rest of the floorspace is just a tiny bit more room then the litterbox.

The only extra available floorspace is next to my bed. I could line up a whole line of them but I think that would be a bit unsanitary to have them right next to me sleeping for one... and yeah would look great too lol

If I had a nice big house I would gladly have space and make room. I just do not have it where I am now.

I also just do not think it would help. As I said she will refuse even if the box has just been cleaned. & even when I had more boxes.

If she's been going outside the box for that long, it's likely a habit rather than just a behavior. Is she actually standing & going poop outside the box, or is her butt hanging out of the box & she ends up pooping on the floor that way?
she literally goes outside the box. and I think it is important point also that she never goes anywhere else in the house. It is always right next to the litterbox. So she knows where it is. I just feel like she is being stubborn.

All of the other cats are perfectly fine as well. They have zero issues it is only her we have a problem with.

I had never heard of that cat attract litter before but it also seems so gimmicky have you tried it? I will check it out and see if that helps at all.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kisami

thank you for your advice.
My apartment now is far far too small. Right now we have the litterbox in the bedroom closet which also holds the water heater so the rest of the floorspace is just a tiny bit more room then the litterbox.

The setup you are describing is known to be pretty much one that causes a LOT of litterbox trouble for cats. Litterboxes inside of closet - big nono: Kitty feels trapped, there is the smell issue... Not good. Closets with water heaters, air conditioners, and laundry big nono... All of the previous problems PLUS the noise that can startle the kitty.

Again we understand you live in a small apartment - some of us here live in a trailer - as in an RV - and have plenty more litter boxes than you do...

In the end, you will have to make a choice in between solving the problem, living with it, or re-homing your cat because of a problem that CAN be solved. I too live in a tiny 1br apartment, and have 3 big litterboxes... Is it the most beautiful thing in the World? no.... but sure it beats poop on the floor.

So I am sorry if you think I am not being nice, but I am giving you solutions, and the solution unfortunately is not always what you want to hear...

Cat attract litter is a lifesaver, not gimmicky at all - BUT you ALSO need to change the rest... As in adding more litter boxes, changing locations, etc etc...

IMO your cat is not stubborn... She is just a cat....
Anyway, good luck... It is just not fair IMO to me to read "I tried everything", and it really really bothers me that you are trying to re-home her when the solution for this could be so simple.

she literally goes outside the box. and I think it is important point also that she never goes anywhere else in the house. It is always right next to the litterbox. So she knows where it is. I just feel like she is being stubborn.

All of the other cats are perfectly fine as well. They have zero issues it is only her we have a problem with.

I had never heard of that cat attract litter before but it also seems so gimmicky have you tried it? I will check it out and see if that helps at all.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kisami

Now tonight I go in and she did it again and pooped right on the carpet by the box! We have a plastic mat thing under it to catch litter and is a bit bigger then the box but she didn't even go on that but straight on to the carpet.

I do not know what to do with her. I am super great at keeping the box and the surrounding area clean. I clean the box twice a day. The day it happened I had just cleaned the box even.

This has been like 5-6 years dealing with this and trying everything I can think of and nothing works. As much as it pains me I really am thinking of trying to find her a new home. Maybe one with no other cats or just one other might work better for her?

sigh
I completely understand your frustration for sure :nods:

One of my boys likes to poop outside the box.

He tends to do it for 1 of 2 reasons....

- one: he does realise his bum is really close to the side of the box, so instead of landing in the box, the poop goes on the outside of it even though he is standing in the box.

- two: when he has constipation issues.

Sometimes it happens right after I clean the box too.

OH, one other thing I've found, regarding his aim.... occassionally there will be a smear of poo on the inside side of the box, because he smells that, his butt is hanging over the edge completely.

So now I keep a thing of baby wipes by the box so I can wipe the insides if any poo smears happen to be there when I clean it.

I understand your frustration completely, and one persons view shouldn't ruin your hopes for help.

I would try: checking for poo smears, checking your kitty for constipation or diarrhea (even just soft stool) issues, different litter (sometimes the brand may not have changed but something in that batch did) and checking if the other kitties are bothering him while he's trying to use the box.

There is absolutely no shame if you need to rehome the kitty providing you do it responsibly and find him a one cat home if that is what it turns out he needs.

Good luck

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rehoming will solve the problem for you, but not for the cat. Someone else may not try, as you are, to solve it and end up rehoming the cat again.

Cat attract is wonderful. Not a gimmick. I read somewhere here that their cat peed on the bag before they could fill the litter box with it.

I hope you can find a solution for you and your kitty. I can tell you love her and are doing the best you can.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I completely understand your frustration for sure :nods:

One of my boys likes to poop outside the box.

He tends to do it for 1 of 2 reasons....

- one: he does realise his bum is really close to the side of the box, so instead of landing in the box, the poop goes on the outside of it even though he is standing in the box.

- two: when he has constipation issues.

Sometimes it happens right after I clean the box too.

OH, one other thing I've found, regarding his aim.... occassionally there will be a smear of poo on the inside side of the box, because he smells that, his butt is hanging over the edge completely.

So now I keep a thing of baby wipes by the box so I can wipe the insides if any poo smears happen to be there when I clean it.

I understand your frustration completely, and one persons view shouldn't ruin your hopes for help.

I would try: checking for poo smears, checking your kitty for constipation or diarrhea (even just soft stool) issues, different litter (sometimes the brand may not have changed but something in that batch did) and checking if the other kitties are bothering him while he's trying to use the box.

There is absolutely no shame if you need to rehome the kitty providing you do it responsibly and find him a one cat home if that is what it turns out he needs.

Good luck
I surely disagree with you. They've had this cat for six years. She is theirs. You think it's okay to dump a cat after six years and pass this problem on to someone else? The next person may decide to dump her on the street rather than deal with the problem.

You don't get rid of a cat, a family member, because she has a problem, you find a solution to the problem.

Please don't give up on her.

One litter box for four cats is not enough, it just isn't. Put them in the kitchen, bathroom, bathtub or shower stall, living room. You need more boxes.

Cleaning one box for four cats twice a day is not enough. I have three cats, four boxes and I clean the boxes four times a day.

Have you had kitty to the vet? It could very well be constipation issues. If it hurts her or troubles her to poop she will avoid the litter box because she blames the box for the pain.

Watch her when she poops and see if you notice any straining. How often does she poop? Are the stools excessively large? Small hard dry bits?

Perhaps the box isn't big enough, and she needs more room to maneuver.

Feliway plugs in diffusers definitely, and retraining may be needed. This is when you put her in a small space, even a large dog crate, with her litter box, food and water, bed and toys. She is not to be isolated, but she will be forced to poop in the box, if she doesn't want to poop in her bed or near her food. Using cat attract litter will help.

After two weeks, keeping cat attract litter in all the other boxes too, and keeping the feliway going, see how she does.

however, I really think a trip to the vet should be first. Get a fecal test done, she may have a parasite.

Please don't give away a family member because she has a problem. It's just not right, IMO.