At My Wit's End With Hyper, Demanding Cat

AndreMpls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Apologies in advance for this being pretty long).

Back in December, I found what I thought was the perfect cat from a local rescue: He was cute and had a great bio - he was described as smart, not particularly needy, and incredibly friendly. This all seemed confirmed when I met with him and his foster. He was sweet, not at all shy, and definitely curious. As a cat listed as 1-2 years old (his neuter paperwork had him listed as 13 months old in early December, so he'd be around 20-21 months old now), he had some zip. I'd had a cat before, so I knew to ask some questions - I wanted to make sure this would work. His foster truly seemed to enjoy her time with him and was sad to give him up for adoption.

And then...

This cute cat came home with me in late January, and it's been, quite frankly, six stressful months in the apartment. The problems started pretty much right away - he got aggressive with a friend who had come to visit. I wrote it off as stress. After all, this was a new environment. He enjoyed laying on me and purring. He enjoyed playing and exploring the new apartment.

But then the problems emerged. He howled at night outside my door (my bedroom is and has always been a pet-free zone) and cried for food early in the morning. He started to suddenly bite me when sitting on my lap. Feet were a target for attacks to the point that I, regardless of season, now where slippers pretty much always around the house.

He has a constant need to play - and by this, I mean aggressive, interactive play. I literally am sometimes out of breath, because I need to run around the apartment, shaking feather wands at ridiculous speeds and he chases, hisses, and jumps. We play 2-3 times a day, sometimes for as much as 2 hours total, and he never tires. If I miss any play time, he screams and sprints across the apartment, knocking over items wherever he goes.

He chews on everything he can find. I had to move a bunch of leather and softer material chairs into my bedroom because he started tearing them apart. He one by one killed half my plants (all non-toxic to cats) either by biting or knocking them to the floor, and even ate one, thick stem and all. The others only survived because they, like the chairs, were moved to my bedroom. He destroys all of his toys - eating the fake feathers, chewing on the rubber grip of the feather wand, ripping apart fleece balls.

We've solved nighttime wake-up cries and early morning food calls with some training (and an auto feeder for morning meals - a lifesaver!). But any time he isn't getting direct attention from me, he paces around crying, grunting, or shrieking (as he's doing right now and has been doing for much of today). Usually if he's ignored for long enough, he'll grunt-scream (a separate sound from a cry, grunt, or shriek - he's a cat of many sounds) and go into chaos mode. Or, if he's nearby and you're not looking, you might find he'll sink his claws and teeth into your arm or leg. The one spot that's mine is the bedroom, but going in there during the day usually results in him sticking his face under the door (there's a 1-inch crack) and screaming, clawing at the door, throwing his body at it, etc. That's eliminated pretty much any chance of a nap or just some quiet time (I can't relax on the couch lest my limbs become prey). And if my partner ever spends the night, all bets are off, as two people in a room he isn't also in is grounds for even more cat cries.

I feel like this isn't my home anymore - it feels more like my cat owns the place and I'm there to serve at any and all hours—and that there is punishment if I do not. It's like having the upkeep requirements of a dog with the you-must-earn-my-love/tolerance of a cat (and the atomic bomb poops he leaves unburied!).

Needless to say, it hasn't made this apartment an enjoyable place to be. It certainly leaves me less enthused to arrive home after work every day.

I've had several cats before, and I've interacted with many of my friends. Nobody has had this combination of behavioral factors. In fact, most of my friends find it really amusing to come over because he's so social. Their cats snooze and sometimes cuddle with them. My cat puts on a circus.

Now, I know that he's a young cat and that some of this behavior might fade. But I'm wondering if anyone has a similar experience? What can I expect to see naturally go away with age? What has helped people fix some of the other behaviors? I would love to keep this cat, because he can be very sweet and fun at times. But if this is what he's going to be like for the next 15-20 years, I don't think it will be a good fit and he won't be happy.

Help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if I have any great ideas here - he sounds like a personality combination of a Siamese and a Bengal, or something.... basscat basscat , this is quite something.
Wow.

Oh by the way, his poop shouldn't have an odor after a few minutes. Maybe check into canned food or a different brand, here's a database; CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

First, you deserve some very serious kudos for working with him and accomplishing some pretty large adjustments.
Two, have you tried a HISS or NO! when he's swatting/biting and otherwise engaging in unwanted behavior?
Three, I don't really like these but it might give you a better chance to sit down if you had a laser light?
Four, if you can get a harness that fits him so that he can't do a Houdini and turn into an escape artist, can you take him outside?

I know of at least one TCS member who has NOTHING on flat surfaces 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A AndreMpls - Has your veterinarian been made aware of your kitty's behaviour, and has she or he injected a Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone and completed a testosterone level test? As a wild, wild guess, I'd rule out your cat's behaviour being the result of cryptorchidism before considering any other possibilities.

Undescended testicles can be tricky to find during initial clinical exams owed to upward internal migration, and in the case of polyorchidism, the third testicle, if undescended, will completely escape the surgeon's notice. Have his testosterone levels checked as soon as time and convenience permit.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, as unusual as this might sound if a person hasn't ever heard of it, it is a possibility. I was familiar with a quarter horse with this, --that was a bit complicated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AndreMpls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh by the way, his poop shouldn't have an odor after a few minutes. Maybe check into canned food or a different brand, here's a database; CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

First, you deserve some very serious kudos for working with him and accomplishing some pretty large adjustments.
Two, have you tried a HISS or NO! when he's swatting/biting and otherwise engaging in unwanted behavior?
Three, I don't really like these but it might give you a better chance to sit down if you had a laser light?
Four, if you can get a harness that fits him so that he can't do a Houdini and turn into an escape artist, can you take him outside?

I know of at least one TCS member who has NOTHING on flat surfaces 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine
Hi Furballsmom Furballsmom , and thanks for your input.

His poop generally doesn't smell after a few minutes, but if you're anywhere in my (fairly small) apartment when he does, you're going to smell it. He does get a mixture of good dry and wet food (dry food twice a day, wet food before bed).

As for his bad behaviors, yes, I have tried some of that. He is very aware of "No" and will generally stop a behavior (though then he'll whine about it). This is most effective for stuff like when he's trying to jump on the counter while I'm preparing food. I've also used hissing when he's behaving poorly. He will generally keep his distance after that. When he bites or gets himself too worked up, I gently pick him up by the scruff and belly and shut him in the bathroom for a time out/cool down. His behavior generally improves after that, at least for a little while.

I do have a laser pointer, and he likes it okay, but I find that he bores of toys pretty quickly. Laser point will amuse him for a few minutes for a few days, but then he wants to use a new toy. Right now his two favorite activities are jumping to catch a feather attaches to a flexible plastic stick that I shake (kind of looks like a bird to him, I suppose?) or, for solo play, he really likes a ball of red lint that he found...somewhere? I must be from the previous tenants. He doesn't eat it or anything - just loves to bat it around.

I've been thinking about getting a harness to see if that's something he'd like. I'd be a little bit worried about other cats in the neighborhood, however (there are some that lurk freely around here, and I'd be worried they might try to get aggressive with him).

My two biggest issues with him are the excessive energy and the need to be paid attention to nearly all the time. His aggressive moments are (thankfully) very few and far between, and most his "attacks" seem to be play motivated.

A AndreMpls - Has your veterinarian been made aware of your kitty's behaviour, and has she or he injected a Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone and completed a testosterone level test? As a wild, wild guess, I'd rule out your cat's behaviour being the result of cryptorchidism before considering any other possibilities.
I haven't raised any of this with the vet yet because he went fairly early on when 1) not all of these behaviors had emerged and 2) the few that had come up seemed more related to the stress of the move. I had searched on forums like this and noted several people saying it can take months for cats to settle into a routine.

I'll have to look into the tests you mentioned. What would be the symptoms? I assume just more aggression because he wouldn't be fully neutered?

Oh, and since I've been harping on this poor kitty the whole time, I might as well include a photo or two of him. He's a total goofball when he's not being a super villain!

View media item 421498View media item 421497

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that face! I can see why you couldn't resist.

He is very aware of "No" and will generally stop a behavior (though then he'll whine about it).
Yoshi used to do that. I read it as "I know I was bad but do you still love?"

Have you tried teaching him to fetch? It keeps kitty running and human less exhausted.

AndreMpls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hellenww Hellenww Yes, he does know how to fetch! For a while it was all he wanted to do! It seems that's not what he's interested in recently. He'll chase them, but he won't bring them back (he knows how to do so)!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to look into the tests you mentioned. What would be the symptoms? I assume just more aggression because he wouldn't be fully neutered?
That and some of the other behaviour patterns you've described, yes, including the nighttime howling outside your door.

One of mine suffered from triorchidism - the third undescended and hidden quite nearly in the lower abdominal cavity, requiring an ultrasound to detect once we'd established that testosterone was still being freely produced. My cat's symptoms were very like yours.

AndreMpls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That and some of the other behaviour patterns you've described, yes, including the nighttime howling outside your door.

One of mine suffered from triorchidism - the third undescended and hidden quite nearly in the lower abdominal cavity, requiring an ultrasound to detect once we'd established that testosterone was still being freely produced. My cat's symptoms were very like yours.
Ah, okay. Gotcha. To clarify, he didn't really cry outside my door throughout most of the night. He'd just wake up and want to play at 3 or 4 AM. I quickly taught him that wasn't okay by completely ignoring him. He now lets me sleep pretty much as long as I want (I can even get out of bed to go to the bathroom and go back to sleep without fuss most of the time!)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful little troublemaker! How much vertical space does he have in the territory? Is it a big place, or a small place? Some cats need a lot of space, and if he doesn't have good vertical space he could be lashing out that way? Also a good way to tire him out. In our house, we have cat shelves on the wall, and they can travel up the shelves, onto a tall bookcase, to a mantle and then down a cat tree. It really helps the cats feel confident and secure.

Thought I would just chime in with the laser pointer … if you are worried about any stress or frustration with something that "doesn't exist" when our Olive gets too rambunctious we get her running all over the place and then "land" on some treats we had hidden around the room. That way there is a tangible "catch", but we still get the benefit of wearing her out.

AndreMpls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KarenKat KarenKat He actually has quite a bit of different vertical space. He doesn't have a cat tree, in part because there isn't a particularly good spot for one (I live in a one bedroom apartment with some layout challenges). But I do live in a garden-level apartment, which means the windows sit higher. They have deep sills that he frequently jumps up on, and he occasionally works his way up from the counter to the fridge to on top of the cabinets.

His favorite spot to perch, however, turns out to be a bag filled with stuff that's in the entryway. That room gives him a view of all the rooms, including a spot where he can watch to see if I come out of my bedroom. It's a lot less comfy than the couch, but it's what he likes, apparently!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What we did was cat proof about half of the house. The other half the doors remain closed so he can't into those rooms. And when I say cat proof, I really mean child proof, dog proof, and cat proof all rolled up into one.
No plants, no knick knacks. Chairs are pushed up tight under tables, or set with the backs against walls. MOST of the upholstered furniture has slip covers, sheets, or blankets over it. Lamps have been removed or replaced with very heavy base lamps. All cords have been wrapped in "CritterCord". Toys and old shoes are scattered about so that he has something to attack. And the list goes on.
BUT, he's growing out of it and as he does, things are getting moved back.
He'll chirp and cry for attention, but, he'll eventually stop if we ignore it long enough.
He doesn't bury either and depending on what we feed him has a lot to do with smell. Raw chicken not much smell. Storebought food poop smell will melt windows. Since he doesn't bury, most of the time we just grab it up quickly with some toilet paper and flush it before the aroma penetrates the whole house.
Our outdoor enclosure was a lifesaver for us though. He likes it out there and runs, runs, runs during the day. Burns off enough energy that he's pretty nice indoors now.
AND, while this may not be the ideal or even appropriate action.....When he gets TOO WOUND UP playing to the point of us getting hurt. We either put him in time out for awhile by himself, OR, I'll wrangle him up and pin him belly down on the floor between my legs. I'm not sitting on him or anything. Just between my legs is a good place to keep him contained with his belly on the floor. I then pet his head, scrub him cheeks, etc. For about a minute and that usually calms him down back to somewhat normal again. (When his back is on the floor and his belly is up, that's like reaching into a running garbage disposal :lol:)

Last edited:

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally feel you. I also feel like I've lost ownership of my space because one of my cats is quite active. He doesn't attack me, maybe because he can do that with his sister, but he howls at the walls for attention day or night and doesn't understand "no" when he wants to jump on the kitchen counters. He's all about play. He chews a lot of things e.g. computer chord and card boxes, and his sister enjoys pulling on the fake leather of my desk chair. I've never observed behaviors like this in cats either, but I think it's the huge difference between indoor and outdoor cats... You might still want to try getting a very tall cat tree especially if his current vertical space is your kitchen. One by the window with different levels (I got an Armakat from Amazon, very affordable and decent height) will allow him to go crazy and observe from outside your windows from an interesting height.

About his poop: my cats' poop doesn't really smell. I use Dr. Elsey's litter and I feed dry only occasionally (when they're picky, when I'm out of wet and can't afford getting more cans just yet, when I need to be gone a full day). It might smell a little when they do it but it doesn't linger and it's not unbearable like I remember it being with a lot of other cats.

I think over all since you're really fed up with the cat everything seems abnormal, but him chewing and eating feathers that are on his toys is ok. They make them edible lol. I was worried about that too and the pet store told me that they're real feathers. Have you tried getting him a kick a roo? It's a toy that a lot of cats enjoy fighting with. I let mine simmer in catnip sometimes and they like it a lot, but I need to play with them (I hold it by the "tail" and move it around while they kick) otherwise they get bored quickly.

Maybe keep a toy close to you so you can distract him from your feet?

AndreMpls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally feel you. I also feel like I've lost ownership of my space because one of my cats is quite active. He doesn't attack me, maybe because he can do that with his sister, but he howls at the walls for attention day or night and doesn't understand "no" when he wants to jump on the kitchen counters. He's all about play. He chews a lot of things e.g. computer chord and card boxes, and his sister enjoys pulling on the fake leather of my desk chair. I've never observed behaviors like this in cats either, but I think it's the huge difference between indoor and outdoor cats... You might still want to try getting a very tall cat tree especially if his current vertical space is your kitchen. One by the window with different levels (I got an Armakat from Amazon, very affordable and decent height) will allow him to go crazy and observe from outside your windows from an interesting height.
His vertical space includes the kitchen, but the large, high-up windows in my unit are also a spot he likes. I'm still contemplating getting a cat tree, though they really don't make any that are any higher than the windows.

About his poop: my cats' poop doesn't really smell. I use Dr. Elsey's litter and I feed dry only occasionally (when they're picky, when I'm out of wet and can't afford getting more cans just yet, when I need to be gone a full day). It might smell a little when they do it but it doesn't linger and it's not unbearable like I remember it being with a lot of other cats.
He gets high-quality dry and wet food, so I'm guessing he just has stinky poops. He loves his dry food, and it really is necessary given how early he demands to eat. The auto feeder is the only reason I've been able to sleep these past few months. Fortunately, despite his lack of burying, he is very good about using the litter box - six months and not a single out-of-box incident.

I think over all since you're really fed up with the cat everything seems abnormal, but him chewing and eating feathers that are on his toys is ok. They make them edible lol. I was worried about that too and the pet store told me that they're real feathers.
It's good to know that they're edible! I figured they would be, so I haven't really been worried about him eating and gnawing on toys. The real issue with it is that he destroys all of them. In the picture I posted above, he's sitting on a cat bed that's above two scratch posts. There was a string and ball attack to it that he ripped off within minutes of me setting it up. He eats feathers, tears apart any toy with stuffing, and generally disassembles anything he can. Of course, once I got him a toy that's meant to stand up to that level of destruction, he completely ignored it. Cats, I tell ya...

My apartment is something of a war zone. Every day there's something new scattered across the floor he's destroyed. But if it's not his toys, it's probably going to be the lamp...or the mirror...or my picture frames...so I live with it. :lol:

AndreMpls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What we did was cat proof about half of the house. The other half the doors remain closed so he can't into those rooms. And when I say cat proof, I really mean child proof, dog proof, and cat proof all rolled up into one.
No plants, no knick knacks. Chairs are pushed up tight under tables, or set with the backs against walls. MOST of the upholstered furniture has slip covers, sheets, or blankets over it. Lamps have been removed or replaced with very heavy base lamps. All cords have been wrapped in "CritterCord". Toys and old shoes are scattered about so that he has something to attack. And the list goes on.
BUT, he's growing out of it and as he does, things are getting moved back.
He'll chirp and cry for attention, but, he'll eventually stop if we ignore it long enough.
Yeah, my apartment has definitely been cat proofed...or at least as much as it could ever be. The problem is, of course, that it's an apartment. There really isn't a way to shut a cat out of any rooms other than keeping him out of my bedroom. :lol: