At my wits end with foster cat - suggestions needed

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Background - I have three cats of my own - Greta age 3 who we adopted as a kitten (we also adopted her brother Gordon who went to the Rainbow Bridge at 18 months due to FIP), Brady, age 12 who we adopted 3 years ago, his past is relatively unknown and he has IBD controlled with medication, then Shotsie, age 10, 4 months ago from the shelter I volunteer at (no kill) because no one was showing any interest in him, again not much known about his past.

About a month and a half ago, I agreed to foster Hanna, age 11.  She was adopted from our rescue as a kitten then just turned in (yes, over 10 years later) from her owner who said she was not a good cat and she did not want her anymore.  We understand she was kept in the basement, but really do not have details and will never know the true story.  She was at the local animal hospital for 2 weeks where I picked her up from - she is physically healthy, although the vet there told me she is not a nice cat, and basically nonredeemable. There was my challenge to prove him wrong.

She spent a month under the bed in our spare room.  After much work with her, she now is very receptive to me, and somewhat to my husband, and to my sons when they visit. She loves being brushed and snuggles, but not a lap cat. I can pick her up, but cannot put her in a carrier - she goes crazy, so I know I cannot have her sit in a cage to be shown for adoption.  Also at her age, I don't believe there will be much interest in her, so I believe she will be a long term (maybe forever) foster.  I will not let her go to another bad environment.

Here lies my problem.  She tolerates Shotsie, even when he spends the day lounging in "her" room, and eats her food.  However, if the other two even walk into her room, she starts the low growling and then a hissy fit comes on with swiping and chasing.  I think that Greta and Brady are alpha personalities, and that creates the problem, whereas Shotsie is happy go lucky and he just goes on his merry way when he thinks any of them have had enough of him.

Keeping Hanna in the bedroom with the door closed only works for a short while as she cries now to come out, and the others, specifically Shotsie, scratch and cry at her door.  When Hanna comes out of her room upstairs to the downstairs area, Greta or Brady will lie in a doorway or at the bottom of the stairs to "block" her.  My husband is upset by this and thinks Hanna is to blame, but I feel that it is two sided.

Any suggestions to have some peace?  I cannot return her - our fosters are all overloaded right now due to our group recently clearing 40 cats from a hoarder house.  I do not think she is adoptable, although an ideal house would be another without other pets, but willing to spend time re socializing Hanna.

Incidentally, Brady and Greta tolerate each other well, I think because when we got Brady, Greta still had Gordon as a playmate and was young enough to accept another dominant personality in the house.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for helping this cat out.  It sounds like all she really needs/needed is a loving home.

I see you did start her in a seperate room, but other than this, how did you introduce the cats?

My advice to you would be to read this article carefully http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats and then follow the steps laid out there EXACTLY, going as slowly as necessary, until all the cats are comfortable with each other.  If you already introduced them using this process or one like it, my advice is still to start over again from step one and follow all the steps until non-violent coexistence has been achieved.

I know she won't be happy to be in the room for so much longer, but I really don't see another way to accomplish this.

Good luck and again, thanks so much for helping this cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link.  I did something similar, but am starting over and will give it another try.  I always appreciate advice from others!