At my wit's end with cat peeing outside litterbox

allieq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a common complaint around here, so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I included bullet points to make it easier.

-I have four strictly indoor cats with four litterboxes that I clean daily.

-Squash was recently treated for crystals and seems to have recovered. I've watched him pee and he has a good stream.

-Squash has been peeing outside of the litterbox ever since his crystal episode. Took him to the vet for a re-check and they said his urine was the right pH. At the time there were still some crystals left in his urine but not that much. His stream has improved since then and I don't see him straining to urinate.

-Squash mostly hangs out in my upstairs hallway\closet where he has his own litterbox. He uses it consistently to poop, and will occasionally pee in it, but about once a day he will pee in random places on the floor. I've done my best to clean the spots he has peed in with vinegar solution and block them off so he doesn't go there, but he just finds a new spot to pee in.

I feel like this started off as a symptom of his crystals and turned into a behavioral issue. I've moved his litterbox to a different spot and put cat attractant in it, but he will still pee on the floor. As I mentioned, he will pee in the litterbox sometimes but not consistently. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to get him back in the litterbox 100%? Feeling really frustrated having to clean pee up every day.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding? Exclusively feeding dry food is a common cause for urinary issues. More moisture will help, especially since one still has crystals.

It may still hurt to pee, and in turn, the cats may have associated the litterbox with this pain.

Have you tried a totally different type of litter? Different type of litterbox?

If the spots arent cleaned up with enzyme cleaner, the cats may still be smelling the urine and in turn, still peeing there.

You may have to retrain them. I've seen a thing where they used a flat serving tray with a little litter to get the cat to try it again...then increased the edge size of the "box" used and more litter until it was back to a normal litterbox. But...if it still hurts to pee and this is the cause of their avoidance, you'll still have a problem. So that needs addressed first. Which may mean a change in diet and another vet's opinion.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As this started up with a crystals issue, it seems very likely that Squash has simply associated using the litterbox with pain. 'Cat logic' goes something like this: 'It hurts when I pee. It must be to do with where I'm peeing. Maybe if I pee somewhere else it won't hurt anymore.' Unfortunately,in this case, 'cat logic' is flawed, and you end up with a cat that's litterbox avoidant even after the physical problem has gone.

The best way to retrain in this case is to change everything about the whole 'litterbox experience' for him. This means a different type/shape/style/size of box, in a different area, with different litter. Dr Elsy's Cat Attract can be a game changer too, especially when retraining issues of this sort. Ideally, Squash's new box wants to be in addition to the four you currently have - just to make certain that everyone always has a place to go where they're comfortable...and anyway, if Squash is happy pooping in his old box then you don't want to take that away from him at the moment. After all, you don't want to replace one problem with another ;)

Do make sure to use an enzymatic cleaner to go over all the spots he's previously peed on. A blacklight will help you identify them, and make sure you get them all. Only and enzymatic cleaner will remove the urine smell to Squash's sensitive nose, and is the best way to be certain you're starting with a clean slate.[article="32366"][/article][article="29728"][/article]