at my wits end - why are my cats itchy?

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I have heard of atopica and I hope I don't have to resort to it :(. Will keep trying until all options are exhausted. I'd have to have both cats on it..id have to sell my kidney to afford that, haha!
Now, that's terrible.  

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ruled out miliary dermatitis a/k/a flea saliva allergy?  Cats who have this sensitivity have it all their lives -- at least my beloved Tashi did!  She was covered in fleas when she came to us, and even though Advantage took care of the fleas in no time, she always had the "itchies" from her bout with them.  I used a topical spray to help alleviate the itch.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I certainly understand wanting Atopica to be a last resort. My Sammy has some sort of allergy...chews his fur off legs and belly and had started scratching and getting sores. My vet wanted him on Atopica, but after reading the insert about all the potential adverse reactions and that it increased the risk of urinary infections because it suppresses the immune system....Well, I just didn't want to do it until I exhausted all options or he got a lot worse. I tried elimination diets...No success, partly because he refused to eat most of the options. Tried fish oil, probiotics, coconut oil (that was fantastic on sores in places he couldn't reach to lick off...like around his head and neck....cleared them up in a day or two...but not on belly because he licked it all off too quick), tried two or three different natural/homeopathic anti itch/itch relief drops/granules, tried the "calming" spray and chamomile tea (as a spray).......three months later, he wasn't really any better..but not much worse either....but I was frustrated and exhausted and totally worn down....I gave in and started the Atopica....he threw it up once, but hasn't any more...only other side effect so far (one week) is a little diarrhea. And, he does seem better already...No where near as much scratching, chewing, licking and the sores are much better on his belly. So, I still really HATE giving him something with that many potential side effects, I also don't want him getting an infection from the sores....don't really mind him being bald. I'm not sure I will keep giving it to him long term because of the risk of UTI..a balancing act I guess. Good luck...try whatever you can before going to drugs, but you may have to try it eventually.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Have you ruled out miliary dermatitis a/k/a flea saliva allergy?  Cats who have this sensitivity have it all their lives -- at least my beloved Tashi did!  She was covered in fleas when she came to us, and even though Advantage took care of the fleas in no time, she always had the "itchies" from her bout with them.  I used a topical spray to help alleviate the itch.
That's interesting.  The "itchies" that never go away-how awful. If so, that's not good.  

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about all the "products" and "supplements" out there...but I am currently trying this one. Some of the reviews really sucked me in :)

snooshy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but it sounds like mange. I know you said you have treated for mange but it is really really hard to treat. It is also hard to find it in a scraping. The neck is usually affected badly and they can lose fur btw their legs. Also check around their eyes. my cat had red around his eyes right on the rim...and the edges of his ears, fur falling off the backs of the ears, red ears and black inside the ears.

Very very very contagious :(

Hope your kitties feel better soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lentilsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I already treated it then what do I do

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let you know that I recently changed my kitty litter from Scoop Away to another brand, Precious Cat litter (not promoting this brand over any others). The new litter has significantly less dust and smell. My cat has shown significant improvements with his skin and health problems. His skin looks so much better and he's biting, scratching and grooming himself much less. It is still too early to tell if that is the sole cause of his issues, but he is making a lot of progress.

I noticed that the Scoop Away became much dustier and started to contain a lot more perfume a year or 2 ago. However, I had no idea it could cause such huge health problems until I started reading reviews on cat litter. I'm not saying the litter is your problem. I don't know. But, I wanted to let you know that it is a possibility. I hope you're kitties are doing better!

Last edited:

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had cat that had an itching problem like this, all her skin scrapings were negative but her eso I tried the diet changes nothing worked to stop the itching. then my vet prescribed itraconazole, which is usually for ringworm even though she had no bald patches and a medicated shampoo and it worked, the treatment was 8-12 weeks  one week on meds one week off for the 12 weeks and weekly shampoos. the shampoo alleviated the itching quickly.

• Purraise
Reactions: mnm