Asthma?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did get some stuff for the hairballs, can't recall the name (I am at work). I have a hard time giving it to her. I listen to her kungs yesterday, they sound fine, but she brezzes kinda congested. I will let you guys know once she was seen.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Now I am really confused and worried. The cat I've been writing about is one out of 3 cats that I have, my other female is 6 years old and my male is going to be 2 this summer. Now all of them doing the same thing. This can't be Asthma, Asthma is not contagious as far as I know. This is really putting me in a bind now, taking 3 cats to the vet, what could be the problem?

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goash, this is just great. The stray had gotten a free bill of health last time I took her in. (She was seen for mange and URI). She was spayed, tested, vaccinated, the whole 9. All of my cats do NOT go outside. I am really stressed out now........

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cats do not go out but Meeko got Sick. She had Blood Tests at the vet then ended up with a High Fever. She then gave it to Coco and she had to go to the Vet. Oreo got it but not bad. Sasha never caught it. You can bring germs in from the Vet. Coco just had a terrible Cold with her Asthma acting up that is gone now and she has never been out either. I would take your Cat to the vet and see what it has. It could have Asthma by some chance or Bronchitis.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will have too, not knowing what it is I can't let it go on. I will let you know. Thanks for all your advise.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did take my cat to the vet and she does have Asthma, we decided to go for the shot and see how she goes with that treatment, so far she is fine. The x/ray also showed that her spine is s shaped and she has athorities, poor ol granny, guess this street life all her life wor her out, well I will ry to offer her a good life from now on, thanksfor all your advise.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my Coco. She has Arthitis too. Did your Cat get the Depo Shot for the Asthma? It used to work real well for Coco. You can Pm me anytime since are Cats have the same Problems. I can help you. Coco has the Arthitis very bad in her Spine and has for a long time. she had the Metacam shot for the Pain. I do not use oral Metacam. Coco has had Asthma for years too.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The doc. showed me on a pic, the Auth. i not that bad and isn\\t giving her any probles right now. She did get the depo shot that was recommended by the vet. I am gone most of th day, so she cannot use the ihaler herself. The vet said she cannot tell how long the shot will take effect and when she may ned another one, could be soon, coud be a long time from now, we have to wait and see. But the shot seems t make her tired, she sleeps alot now.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Shot dosent do that to Coco but she has a lump from the last one. Be careful wih the Shot it can cause Diabetis. My Vet will only give it every 6 months if she needs it. There are other side effects that can happen too. It has helped her alot. The Shot lasts about a Month. Coco is 16 though so thats why her Arthitis is worse then your Cat.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read about the diabetic. My vet explained to me, that maybe there is something out there trickering these attacks and she may be fine for a while with this shot or she may need one soon again. Since shes about 9 her age could just be the reason for the Asthma. I guess we just have to wait and see, but I will talk to her about the diabetic.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took her in on Friday, the vet told me she has Asthma and gave her the shot. Since last night we are back were we started, like she never received any treatment. I won't be able to take her back in until Saturday, I work full time. Antyhign I can do in the mean time?

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any way that your vet would let you drop her off on your way to work, so she can get treatment sooner rather than later?

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the time I leave they are not even open yet. My neighbor is checking on her and right now she hasn't had another attack, she is congested so. Why didnt the shot last longer?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last Depo Shot Coco I thought didnt help Coco at first but then it did. Sometimes when Cocos Asthma acts up she needs antibiotics because she ends up with a bad Cold. That is what happened last Month with her. I would not get her another Shot right now. My Vet only allows them every 6 Months. Cocos Asthma is acting up on and off right now but she dosent need a Vet right now. How bad is her Asthma acting up?

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night she wasn't bad. She sounded a bit congested but only had a short cough that I heard. Not sure how she will be when I get home so. I didn't choose the inhaler that people are talking about because I am gone from 7 in the morning until 6 at night, whos is giving it to her? MY vet calls periodicly to check on her, I will let them know that she is getting worth again.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its ok Coco isnt on the Inhaler either. There is another option Pred Pills. Coco has taken them before. You give it before you go to work. I just have them if her Asthma acts up and we cant get to the Vet. I am thinking about the Inhaler because it has less side effects. Coco has had Asthma for years too.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said right now it could be something that s in teh air that triggered her Asthma to come out, the shot will let her body know not to react. Since this is the first time since I have her, we have to start treatment somewhere. She also mentioned some pills, but I cannot recall the name. She said Asthma was very common in older cats. Old girl was estimated to be 9, she may even be older.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco is 16. It can be Pollen and stuff causing it. The Pills should be Pred. Coco had those before she had the Depo Shot. I like the Shot better because it is easier then giving pills. I never heard of it being common in old Cats. None of my friends old Cats ever had it. Spring is on of the worse times for Asthma to act up.

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I talked to you guys I didn't even know there was such a thing as Asthma in cats. I guess what the vet ment is that it shows more often in older felines than younger ones. I was worried too that it may have been something contagious, since I have 2 other cats, but thank god it is not, even so I am not happy with the diagnostic either. i am trying to place her in a good home through a rescue and it is already hard being that she is older, but now she has the condition which is another set back most likely. We will have to wait and see.