Asthma/Hayfever/Allergies?

emma512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Marley occasionally has little coughing fits. It doesn't happen very often, probably averages to about once a week, even less lately, and they don't last for very long, probably 30 seconds at most. I did ask my vet about it a while ago and they said it may be connected to his hayfever (would explain why its less lately as we're now into autumn) or could be 'reverse sneezing'? What the heck is reverse sneezing?

I also thought it might be allergies because every single attack - and I mean EVERY one, without fail! - has occurred in our bedroom. Could it be the bedding that's setting him off? 
I am going to take him vets to get it properly checked out, I just wondered if anyone had any opinions? Could it be asthma, or some kind of allergy?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be allergies if it only happens in the bedroom. If you suspect the bedding (is it new?), I would wash everything thoroughly to see if it helps. It could also be asthma, and not to scare you, but coughing can also be a sign of a heart problem. I would definitely have some tests run to rule some things out. Oh, and I have never heard of reverse sneezing, so you must ask your vet what that means and share it with us.

Many vibes that it's nothing serious and easily treatable.