Aspiration?

Sabrina17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I gave my cat her medicine, (liquid furosemide) and she acted like she was going to throw up. No sneezing or coughing. She just gagged for a minute. I'm just worried about aspiration because I lost my kitten to it in September.

Thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did the Vet not show you how to administer the liquid medicine? You can go to Youtube and view many videos from Vets on how to do it, but mainly you want to go in from the side...never shoot it into the roof of their mouths (that's what I've been told).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You most probably just tickled her gag reflex, since there was no coughing or sneezing. How is she doing today?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sabrina17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You most probably just tickled her gag reflex, since there was no coughing or sneezing. How is she doing today?
She’s good. No coughing, no sneezing. She is alert and her breathing doesn’t seem too abnormal. Do you know when the symptoms begin to take place? My kittens took place around 4 hours after the incident.

Thank you so much :blush:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sabrina17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the Vet not show you how to administer the liquid medicine? You can go to Youtube and view many videos from Vets on how to do it, but mainly you want to go in from the side...never shoot it into the roof of their mouths (that's what I've been told).
Thank you :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know when the symptoms begin to take place?
I would think that coughing and sneezing would start immediately as the cat tries to get rid of whatever it is, and the other symptoms would start within hours, although at first slight and subtle, building over time. By tomorrow or Saturday they would be clearly evident. BUT, since he isn't coughing and sneezing repeatedly, I'm fairly confident that we've dodged the bullet, here!