Asking for presents....?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I get a brainwave and shop without asking, but if I'm not getting ideas from listening and observing and checking various wish lists online, I'll ask, "What do you want for Christmas?" Sometimes he'll have suggestions, sometimes not. Same with him. We've both come up with some pretty nifty ideas, and we've both struggled some years to figure out anything.

When Rob buys without consulting, it will almost certainly be either something for my computer or something culinary that I will love, but won't in a million years buy for myself. He's actually pretty good, but not in the least romantic about gifts.

We both like surprises, but would rather forego the surprise than stumble around in the dark and end up with something that won't be used much.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually never know what I really want for Christmas, I usually like to be surprised. I listen for hints when it comes to what Rob wants, although he's pretty easy to shop for ... just get him a gift card for tools and he is set to go. I just bought him tickets to a comedy show today as an act of thoughtfulness because I heard him mention they were coming to town. He told me he heard them talking about it all day and was gonna ask me if I wanted to go, but I had already beaten him to it by buying 2nd row seats this morning when they went on pre-sale!
He never has to worry about not getting something he wants from me

He knows I love to read, so a lot of the time he'll get me a gift card to buy books, and last year he knew I wanted a Slanket because I love to snuggle up in warm blankets when it's cold, and he bought me that as well.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As time goes on, my BF is getting much better at selecting gifts for me. That doesn't mean I trust him to do it completely on his own - I make real sure to mention when I like anything, or when something is my favourite. For example, he has learned that I love a clean vanilla scent (not a musky one) and always manages to come up with at least one body wash/candle/bubble bath. He knows I like puzzle and party games for the Wii, so buys me these. I do things like leave browser windows open on products I like etc

Jewelery he cannot do. His idea of nice is my idea of wouldnt be caught dead wearing

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so hysterical!!! Yeah, I can't trust him to get me jewelry, so I buy it and say, thank you honey, here's the bill!! Not romantic, but effective!

And if I ask him, what do you want for Christmas, I get (shrug), I dunno. But he is always happy with what I choose. The second holiday we spent together I just couldn't stand the linens and bedding on his bed anymore.... so he got the whole works - mattress pad, pillows, linens, blanket and comforter. He was thrilled ( and so was I - thank goodness for Overstock.com
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I usually never know what I really want for Christmas, I usually like to be surprised. I listen for hints when it comes to what Rob wants, although he's pretty easy to shop for ... just get him a gift card for tools and he is set to go. I just bought him tickets to a comedy show today as an act of thoughtfulness because I heard him mention they were coming to town. He told me he heard them talking about it all day and was gonna ask me if I wanted to go, but I had already beaten him to it by buying 2nd row seats this morning when they went on pre-sale!
He never has to worry about not getting something he wants from me

He knows I love to read, so a lot of the time he'll get me a gift card to buy books, and last year he knew I wanted a Slanket because I love to snuggle up in warm blankets when it's cold, and he bought me that as well.
See, it's the paying attention to details that I find thoughtful. After him hounding me all day, I broke down and told him I wanted this perfume today, and he said "they don't make it anymore" I said I know, but you can get it on Ebay. He said yeah but that's probably a scam or fake.
I give up.