Asking for a little help!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

I have one thing to add that no one here has recommended yet: Curved platforms. See example here http://www.zaharabengals.com/thecatfactory.html (we have the big one on the left, cant believe how affordable this guys stuff is)....the cats really love the curved platforms over the flat ones, as they curl up on them really well (both 16 Lb an 8Lb cat fit very well!). Very good for dangle foot kitties too...the stairs are "removable" so very good if needed for older/less mobile cats.
Now that one on the left I would have no problem with the cost, or how its made, except I need the sisal.

I googled and found this one made by the same person: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acc...AdIdZ244253364 and I would love it.

Too bad shipping would put it out of my price range if he did ship.

Very nice tree, and great prices.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a GREAT thread!!!!

Lots of folks here have already said what I would say -

PRICE is a huge factor for me...

Ease of shipping and assembling once it arrives so that you don't have to be a structural engineer to put it together.

Sturdy - the main one we have now is not very well designed and the posts come loose and we have to tighten them down constantly...

Ease of cleaning - I have one that is faux fur and another that is carpet. The fur fabric one is MUCH easier to vacuum off.

A BIG YES TO CRADLES instead of platforms. Or platforms with sides so the cat feels safe in there.

Hammocks -- or whatever you call them... the boys fight over this one...

Easy for the cat to get up and down... some of the ones I have seen the distance between platforms is silly....

Custom configurations... speaks for itself

Not too terribly ugly - also speaks for itself LOL!!

Sisal fabric instead of rope... looks better IMO.

Part wood as some have indicated would be nice... one of my cats leaps at the main tree and shinnys up the back side like a real tree. I think he would love it if it were made of bark!
And outside. And had real birds in it!!!

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't read all posts so if this is a repeat, sorry.

A wider more sturdy base, in addition to larger platforms. I have a 20 lb Maine Coon and it scares me to think of him swinging around on top and tipping the thing over!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the pictures of the one from the shelter which I like the looks of. It's really the only one I've ever seen that I would want. It's not as tall as I remembered. It is rather beat up. I don't know how old it is.

It is built in 3 sections with bolts to hold them together. So more sections could be added to make it higher.

I'm sure it is far from perfect. Don't think everyone would ever agree on what is perfect, anyway. What I like about it is that it is made of wood, is atheistically pleasing and would fit in my decor, provides a "house" as well as scratching services and platforms. Some of the platforms would be easier to access than others. It seems quite sturdy.

In case anyone wonders, this tree is in the offices section of the shelter where 2 or 3 cats are loose - all very long time residents. So, that explains the mess. I've actually never seen anyone on this tree. But I'm in that area very little. I did ask if they used it and was assured that they do.

Robin

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Thanks, Laurie! I didn't have a staple gun so I had to get resourceful.
Both pieces are like big shower caps: the top part has a plastic back that screws on and covers the fur edges, but the bottom is just pulled tight with the cording.

we call it "Hairy Chairy"
I LOVE the Hairy Chairy! Great color, too. Brilliant!

Robin

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone about the size and the materials. My cats don't like anything that is "cat furniture" I think they find them too uncomfortable. I tried to get them a cat hut but it was way way to small. They could get it but not out. My moms cats had the same problem. I ended up giving the hut to a friend who has kittens.

Another big issue is there doesn't seem to be really nice cat trees for small apartments. I Would LOVE to get my kitties a cat tree or a condo but there isn't any really nice ones with cozy places for the kitties for people with smaller living spaces.

I WOULD like cat furniture that fits both my budget and my living quarters.

ALso materials seem to be a big issue with my cats. They tend to not like the carpet. They love softer materials hence why I can never get them off the couch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

atoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been very busy with my "day job", so I haven't had anytime to post back here, but I have been checking in and paying attention.

I'll probably say this a dozen more times, but thank you all very much for your input so far. Your ideas, thoughts, concerns, and suggestions are definitely either directly helping with the final design, or I'm happy to say, by and large confirming various aspects that have already been taken into consideration.

Thank you again to all of you who are helping on this project!