As the Dishwasher Turns (Part 2)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I'm wondering if something was wired wrong. That shouldn't have happened. Rick is right. The amps fed through should have tripped the breaker. Maybe replace both breaker and the junction box and look to see if anything is backfeeding into it as well. Wonder if it's not properly grounded. Sorry that the box is fried. Also in some hand tools we have had problems with the wiring inside not being connected completely. Some people who put these things together don't tighten down the hot side completely onto the screw and of course there's room for the electricity to arc out. Such a pain in the a$$. Sometimes I feel that we have to double check all wiring before we install anything. Which is bs. Hoping you get that fixed. That could explain the motherboard getting fried. Too much current feeding into it? I am sure Rick has a volt meter and checked all that.

Hugs to you with this VERY annoying problem!

And if you can get another junction box maybe temporarily try it. If the dishwasher starts up and runs normally then maybe it's not the dishwasher?
The guy from Lowes came in and installed the Bosch dishwasher. He's the one who installed the junction box as well, at the same time. As far as we know, the dishwasher's motherboard may not be fried; Rick won't open it to look. We're afraid to do much because we don't want to take a chance on voiding the warranty; you know how these things work. We're really wondering if somebody from Lowes would at least replace the junction box, if that would be enough to get the dishwasher running again. We don't know. 
Wow. Could that have started a fire?
Yeah, it could have. What really bothers us is that frying the junction box did not kick out the circuit. It should have. The electrician said that we really do need to put in a new circuit breaker box; we have an old Federal Pacific box and they suck little green worms. So that's next on our home re-do list. He's coming in next week to take the old box out and put a new one in with new circuits and such. The dishwasher is on its own line, so that's good. 

The electrician told us about a woman who was watching tv one night in her living room. Suddenly, sparks started flying out of the receptacle the tv was plugged into. That never kicked the circuit breaker in her house either. She ran downstairs and kicked it off herself.

Check the internal food filters. If they get clogged, the machine will shut down. They're a bit hard to find, and there are two different ones. Go online to find where they are. I bet that'll solve your problem. We have a Bosch and when we bought it, the salesman took great pains to tell us about the filters. He said most people don't know they are there because they're not where they are on other machines.

Let me know if it works.
Food filter is fine. I just cleaned it out a few weeks ago. The interesting thing about Bosch is that they don't have a food grinder; that's what makes a Bosch so quiet! When you hear your dishwasher, a lot of times, it's grinding up the food that you leave on your dishes. Bosch dishwashers don't have that. So the filter needs to be cleaned out every so often. It's not the filter.....the junction box fried. 

There are two food filters? Where is the second one???
The
The filter just screws into the bottom does it not? I have a Bosch ecosense and that's where it is on mine but where is the second one?

By junction box do you mean the one on the dishwasher itself or one in the wall. They have to by law put a junction box where a hard wired appliance connects to the wall so that in a situation such as this a fire or sparks are contained. Sounds like something has short circuited and has arched. Is the dishwasher on its own fuse? They are not supposed to have anything else on their circuit. The fact the breaker didn't blow tells me you may need a new breaker. They can become stuck from lack of use especially if located in a damp or dirt basement.
This junction box was installed when the guy installed the dishwasher. The box was installed in the cabinet right next to the dishwasher; that box is fried. When we opened the cover, the whole inside of the box is black. The dishwasher is on its own line. What we need is an entirely new breaker box with all new breakers and that's being installed next week.

If Lowes doesn't call today, I am calling first thing tomorrow morning. It won't be pretty. 

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It's funny that you mention about the junction box. in 2014 I had a problem with a wire to my furnace-it was drawing a ton of current and it never set off the breaker. So we messed around with it and it was worn out. We replaced the breaker. We didn't do the circuit box as the wires and the breakers were working fine. But in the next few years I need to get a new one put in. it's going to be 20 years old next year I believe or maybe already 20 years. every 3 months I open the door and check all the circuits. the one that wasn't moving was very warm to the touch. So that's when I shut it down and got the electrician over. It was very scary. Better to do it now before problems.

Yes the fried junction box worries me. Sometimes after time a wire comes loose and arks out. That could be what happened. And with the breaker tired. Was the breaker hot to your touch? That's how I knew something was wrong with the one for the furnace. The furnace one is 30 amp. I was going to down it to 25 amp but they said to leave it at 30. I assume the dishwasher is 15Amp? or 20?.

Glad that you are getting it taken care of. Our circuit box Is by the back door. We don't have a basement. We were going to put in a transfer switch for a generator but we have no more room inside the box for any new circuits so if I change the box=I am going to get a larger one to allow another breaker for a switch for a generator. I just don't have the room out back to store a generator and for now we haven't needed it.

the fun of electrical stuff. Hang in there Winchester...soon!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
OK, here's the latest. Lowes just called. They can't find anybody to come in to even look at the dishwasher. In order to do the warranty, they have agreed to send us a check for the purchase price, plus all taxes, what we paid in 2015 for the Bosch. They said they would either do store credit or a check; I said, "Check, please".  

I called our electrician and he's coming in to replace the junction box. We'll see if that's enough to get the dishwasher running again. If so, we'll just deposit the check in the savings account and keep it for future appliance stuff (like the eventual new dishwasher). If it does't work, then we'll be buying another dishwasher now. 

And I'll be back to square one.....what dishwasher do I buy NOW??? No Whirlpool or anything made by the same company that makes Whirlpool because it's a   common problem that the control panels melt down. It happened twice to us alone and when I started doing research, I found out that it happens often. The Kitchen Aids have wheels that fall off the racks at the drop of a hat. Every dishwasher that I looked at has its own set of problems and issues. Consumer Reports, at the time, loved Kitchen Aids. Where they got that idea, I don't know, because people I know who have them? Hate them. (Part of the problem with places like Consumer Reports is that they want reviews, but they want them now. What they should do is see what reviews are like after people have had their appliances for several years, not within six weeks. Know what I mean? It's only after a few years that the duck doodoo starts to hit the fan.)

If I didn't despise washing dishes so much, I'd say the heck with it, take the dishwasher out and replace it with a cabinet. (Not gonna happen. So not gonna happen.)

Regardless, we are done turning the dishwasher on right before we go to bed. No more of that.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OK, here's the latest. Lowes just called. They can't find anybody to come in to even look at the dishwasher. In order to do the warranty, they have agreed to send us a check for the purchase price, plus all taxes, what we paid in 2015 for the Bosch. They said they would either do store credit or a check; I said, "Check, please".  

I called our electrician and he's coming in to replace the junction box. We'll see if that's enough to get the dishwasher running again. If so, we'll just deposit the check in the savings account and keep it for future appliance stuff (like the eventual new dishwasher). If it does't work, then we'll be buying another dishwasher now. 

And I'll be back to square one.....what dishwasher do I buy NOW??? No Whirlpool or anything made by the same company that makes Whirlpool because it's a   common problem that the control panels melt down. It happened twice to us alone and when I started doing research, I found out that it happens often. The Kitchen Aids have wheels that fall off the racks at the drop of a hat. Every dishwasher that I looked at has its own set of problems and issues. Consumer Reports, at the time, loved Kitchen Aids. Where they got that idea, I don't know, because people I know who have them? Hate them. (Part of the problem with places like Consumer Reports is that they want reviews, but they want them now. What they should do is see what reviews are like after people have had their appliances for several years, not within six weeks. Know what I mean? It's only after a few years that the duck doodoo starts to hit the fan.)

If I didn't despise washing dishes so much, I'd say the heck with it, take the dishwasher out and replace it with a cabinet. (Not gonna happen. So not gonna happen.)

Regardless, we are done turning the dishwasher on right before we go to bed. No more of that.
Wow. At least you are getting your money back. I have this GE that I got from Home Depot and I like it a lot. I got this not long after you got yours and it's working great

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Front...rior-and-Steam-Cleaning-GDF620HGJBB/206395047

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt and uncle have an LG dishwasher they really like. It's super quiet too.

Whatever you go with go for stainless tub. The plastic tubs will stink after a while like old socks.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a bizarre company. One week later, they have nobody to come to your house. You said your local Sears is closing, but, as I said before, they've always been real quick about coming out for my washer/dryer. Glad you got a check though.

Because you're afraid of what could happen if it's running unsupervized?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally never run an appliance like a dishwasher or washing machine unsupervised you hear too many stories of disaster scenarios (floods, fires etc)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow. That's crazy. :eek:

I'm no help with a recommendation as mine is a Whirlpool.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's absolutely INSANE! I can't believe these places are still in business...we have this problem in the tool business-some companies don't want to repair them-they just want to sell us new tools but don't want to hear it when we notify them that it needs servicing. One company we used for tool rebuilds took 4 to 6 weeks to rebuild!!!!! I am telling you If I ever ran my business like that I would be out of business!!! I guess this is what we get to look forward to in the next 10+ years..less repair support and only buy it to junk it 2 years later.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
AND.....WE HAVE A DISHWASHER! 
 OMG, I AM GIDDY!

The electrician replaced the junction box. Took me a while, butI figured out how to re-program the dishwasher and it's going through a cycle now. 

This is the most amazing thing EVER! 

(We should get the check from Lowes around the beginning of next week. You know, I'm not sure how much it cost us to have that junction box replaced. But I'm sure it's much less than the $800, plus tax, that Lowes is going to send us. It just boggles my mind that they don't even want to try to deal with it.)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say cookies but I figured I would keep it general...LOL. don't forget to send some to us in NH...I bet you would make a hell of a business women selling cookies and food. you do it all from scratch. Hell I would pay you to cook for me!!!

I say yes get yourself some little corner shop and start baking...to heck with the people who tell you no. I bet you would love it!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AND.....WE HAVE A DISHWASHER! :banana1:  OMG, I AM GIDDY!

The electrician replaced the junction box. Took me a while, butI figured out how to re-program the dishwasher and it's going through a cycle now. 

This is the most amazing thing EVER! :lol3:  :anon:

(We should get the check from Lowes around the beginning of next week. You know, I'm not sure how much it cost us to have that junction box replaced. But I'm sure it's much less than the $800, plus tax, that Lowes is going to send us. It just boggles my mind that they don't even want to try to deal with it.)
So glad for you Pam.

I was going to say cookies but I figured I would keep it general...LOL. don't forget to send some to us in NH...I bet you would make a hell of a business women selling cookies and food. you do it all from scratch. Hell I would pay you to cook for me!!!

I say yes get yourself some little corner shop and start baking...to heck with the people who tell you no. I bet you would love it!
I agree. I would pay $50 for a box of Pam's cookies if she were selling them.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray, Pam....

You can start baking!  Rick will be so happy!! Especially now that he is working OT...plenty of snickerdoodles...

and Yes, I want a Pam/Care Package!!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

AND.....WE HAVE A DISHWASHER! 
 OMG, I AM GIDDY!

This is the most amazing thing EVER! 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
And.......we received a check yesterday in the amount of $873.72 for the dishwasher. 

The dishwasher is running beautifully since we had the junction box replaced in the cabinet. We're putting the check in our savings account, just in case it does bite the dust, but it's working fine. *knock on wood*

FWIW, the electrician did replace the box in the basement. New box, new circuit breakers, new everything. That will probably cost about the same as the check we just received.

Money comes in, money goes out. 
 But it all works out in the end.

Last edited: