Artie very sick after biopsy / Update!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, just wanted to check in on you and Artie. Hope today will be a good one and I was just thinking about yall. (Sorry, I'm from Texas) :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Ah thank you!  It sounds like you are doing everything and thank you for the update on all his treatments.  Yes for pancreatitis you would be doing much of the same stuff, Cerenia and Zofran would be back in the picture too, and likely regular sub q fluids as well.  It is possible that he would benefit from regular sub q fluids given multiple times a week (whether at vet or at home) but it is quite possible the time will come when he will really need fluids every other day or even daily, and unless you want to go to the vet each time, then you may want to consider learning how to do it.  Your vet could teach you over multiple sessions if you wanted to go slowly.  It becomes quite easy with practice provided that your cat isn't a very difficult patient.

Thanks again for all the info, you;re doing great.
Thanks for checking in. and for the encouragement. I am not afraid of the IV line, I have done that so often during my work, that it is common knowledge to me..Does not bother me to set it up.

Giving Artie fluids and sticking him does. 

He is such a hard cat to medicate. 

I like the idea of keeping him in the carrier for that. I leave the carrier out for him. It is kind of his 'safe' house. He does have a hooded bed also, which is right next to it.

When I was living at home, my Dad and I had to learn to give our cat insulin shots when she came down with diabetes. She was easier to medicate...hard to catch, but easy to medicate. She got used to it, and just sat there. We had to do that twice a day. Eventually, she was so good that one person could manage it. 

I hate to change Vets, if he is slowly improving....but I will. I have 90% of his records. 

Thanks again Stephen....any other thoughts, as if do you think I should change or wait it out...please pm me...or respond here. 

He is doing a bit better...

thanks...

@StephenQ  

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, just wanted to check in on you and Artie. Hope today will be a good one and I was just thinking about yall. (Sorry, I'm from Texas)
Thank you for asking....

Artie seems to be doing a bit better. He skipped a poop on Sunday, but went yesterday..nice and normal--a large amount but did it stink!! like rotten poop!!

He is eating a bit better. I am keeping track of his poop and food consumption. 

Funny thing is, he is really drinking in the extra water I add to the food. He very rarely touches his water bowl. Last time I saw him do so was when he began the steroid. He has been peeing a lot also. He will have blood work at the next Vet's visit. It is scheduled for October. 

He has woken me every day, since we started the cisaperide. 

Artie is very alert! and more talkative to me. He answers me, each time I ask him something..a quiet, little 'OWwwww".. Like a 'yeah'..

From dusk last night, until I woke up; he ate 1 3/4 small cans of food. He also ate 1/2 can of food this morning. I think that is awesome for him. On Sunday, he did not eat much. He ate like a pig on Saturday..over 2 cans that day. 

He is also wanting to be brushed. His fur is looking so much better. When he was sick, it was that 'tacky' looking fur. He was grooming himself..I saw him, but his fur was 'tackeyish"...

No poop today...sigh.... I want him to go every day. But I will settle for every other day if that is his 'new' normal.

Right now he is sleeping. 

Do not apologize for the yall......I understood it...

I  know my baby scale is not the exact same as the Vet's, but I think he has gained a couple of ounces..This morning he was 10.10 lbs.   AT the Vet;s he was 10.5 lbs...fingers crossed...

Again, praying for poops....sigh.

I did re start the Feliway in the house. I think it does help him. I am also playing the classical music station, on the radio, for him~~~ And me too. It does relax me...

thank you again, "y'all"....(hugs)

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok that's great about the fluids, sorry he's so tough to do.  If i think of anything else i'll check in.  Another thought about pancreatitis though.  While Tx's are similar to what you're doing, it can also be quite painful so if he was having a flare up then putting him on a good pain reliever like Buprenorphine could be very helpful.  It's best to test him during a flare up and the best test is the pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity (PLI) test.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
@StephenQ  

I think I may have confused you again..

I meant: I am currently not giving Artie Sub-Q fluids. What I do is add additonal water to his canned food.

I dread the day I have to give them to him. The set-up and using needles is no big deal. I got that.. The scary part is sticking Artie..and keeping him still...

sorry..

Promise I will not bother you again, unless something comes up...... I can be a pest....