Artie And Kaylee’s Fighting Ended In Bloodshed

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is me mostly stresing so this could probably go in the casual forums - I’m sorry I’m not the best judge.

So those who don’t know my situation I explain most of it in my thread here: Female Cat Spraying On Everything - At Wits End (long Story Involved).

Short version: cats where used to large two story home, got bumped to an equivalent of a two bedroom appt. Two of them, Kaylee (Female, 5) and Artemis (Female, 2), went after each other for a bit then before I could toss the trio in my room for reintroduction - after making it possible to do so - they stopped fighting. There was peace for a few months. Then Kaylee randomly started stalking and attacking Artie. Artie wouldn’t start a single fight, only hissing if Kaylee got to close; she would mostly run away if she caught Kaylee stalking her. I tried the plug ins, sprays, wipes, Artie locked in my room for weeks. Nothing. And it’s just Artie Kaylee is going after.

Today I got a text saying my dad found blood - not much - and he couldn’t find any wounds on any cat. I was assuming it came from a bathroom issue because a few drops were found in front of a litter box entrance. I was wrong. I have a few cameras up and one caught a terrifying fight between the two (rolling, flying in the air, every other cat coming in with their tails fluffed and backs arched). Artie is black but I couldn’t find any blood on her, but Kaylee did something to her claw. I’m grateful it didn’t come to more honestly. Kaylee is currently in my room and Artie is tearing and crying at my door.

Kaylee has a heart condition and while her next heart appt isn’t until the end of the month, vet cleared her. Artie throws up after she eats, but that’s been going on since before the peace time and she’s otherwise fine.

Everyone is stressed out to the max and I’ve been trying to get a place but every ten dollars I save, I have to use eight of it. I only locked Kaylee in with me because she refused to keep her bandage on and kept in reopening her room. As soon as she heals Artie is in here for a months long attempt reintroduction. Kaylee came first, should I rehome Artie? All three of the trio? Keep Artie locked in my room for who knows how long until I get a place?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello
Gosh I'm sorry!
So Artie wanted in to be with you, or to get at Kaylee?

You're in an apartment complex so you don't know what other animals are in apartments surrounding you.

I'd keep those two separated, try music, and try some different calming products including maybe for yourself, tea, whatever might help.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello
Gosh Im sorry!
So Artie wanted in to be with you, or to get at Kaylee?
Be with me, she hasn’t started a fight since the peace moments. She’s been terrified of other humans except me since I got her so she’s usually attached to my hip.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oops I added a little to my post above I'm sorry.
Poor Artie,
let me switch to my desktop...

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops I added a little to my post above I'm sorry.
Poor Artie,
let me switch to my desktop...
Oh I did try the music! Hasn’t helped yet but my other cat otter has been leaning against the speaking - does that mean she likes it? And with Kaylee I have to watch anything that needs to be injested because of her heart, but I’ve tried all the natural stuff I could find. And another vet (the office I use has multiple vets and while I have a main one I use, I get others if I do short notice appointments) had me try Xanax but it just made her extremely loopy and grumpy at the same time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
otter has been leaning against the speaking - does that mean she likes it?
That's so neat-o, yes!

I was going to say that a damaged claw, out of all the possible injuries, isn't as bad as things could have been.
So I've looked back through some of your recent threads, and I'm wrong, this isn't an apartment you're in, it's a house, correct. That sort of blows my theory of other animals causing problems, except that there's a dog and another resident cat, and I'm thinking what you saw is Kaylee's redirected aggression.
Is Artie frightened of other cats? Can you work with Artie more to get her confidence up?

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so neat-o, yes!

I was going to say that a damaged claw, out of all the possible injuries, isn't as bad as things could have been.
So I've looked back through some of your recent threads, and I'm wrong, this isn't an apartment you're in, it's a house, correct. That sort of blows my theory of other animals causing problems, except that there's a dog and another resident cat, and I'm thinking what you saw is Kaylee's redirected aggression.
Is Artie frightened of other cats? Can you work with Artie more to get her confidence up?
Whoops I meant speaker. But yeah it’s a house. The upstairs I feel is the equivalent of an apt. And no artie isn’t outright frightened. Wary? Yes. But I see her frightened look when anyone else in the house (or a stranger) comes in my room or near her. She never looked like that with my parents cat nor when the trio were being introduced to Kaylee and Otter. Not sure about how to build artie’s confidence up. Mom has been trying to get her to not be frightened of her, but no luck with her. My dads just too...noisy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Let me give you some other calming products to look at, some of these brands have different styles such as sprays and collars (I'm thinking a collar for Kaylee maybe?)

Also, is there any way you can give Artie a way to get up? Shelving or a cat tree (I know you don't have any space to speak of).

I realize that of course Kaylee can get up as well, but what I'm trying to think of are ways to help Artie to just generally feel better about things.

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Hopefully you don't need this, but just in case;
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-those are drops that you put on the tip of their tongue. Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh bloody hell I wish I had a laptop that worked. Used lots of collars, but they never worked - and I hate the fact that they don’t come apart if tugged at just right.

I work at a animal supply warehouse and I use so I’ve tried all those products except for natural pet. The diffusers - both brands - didn’t make a lick of difference, and (while I didn’t get the thunderease brand until the beginning of this year) I had them plugged in all the rooms since I moved in. Though I did recently unplug them because one nearly caught on fire.

CBD oil hasn’t truly been tested on cats with HCM so my docs a little iffy giving it to Kaylee.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I understand, calming products aren't the thing here.
Hang in there, we'll get something figured out for you.

So, this is a somewhat long thread - (f you ignore that I got a little upset on behalf of the victim kitty at first :)), maybe there's something that helps;

Prey-predator Dynamic Between Cats

Also take a look at these two posts, and hopefully one or both of the members I'm tagging will have a chance to weigh in for your situation.

Loosing Patience And Highly Stressed Cat Guy

Desperately Need Help :-(

@catsknowme danteshuman danteshuman Can you provide some thoughts on how to go about helping a victim kitty become more confident?

Last edited:

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand, calming products aren't the thing here.
Hang in there, we'll get something figured out for you.

So, this is a somewhat long thread - (f you ignore that I got a little upset on behalf of the victim kitty at first :)), maybe there's something that helps;

Prey-predator Dynamic Between Cats

Also take a look at these two posts, and hopefully one or both of the members I'm tagging will have a chance to weigh in for your situation.

Loosing Patience And Highly Stressed Cat Guy

Desperately Need Help :-(

@catsknowme danteshuman danteshuman Can you provide some thoughts on how to go about helping a victim kitty become more confident?
Thanks ^_^ and omg I’ve gotten everything in our warehouse that pertains to cats or can be used on cats, and I’m slowly going through chewy lol. How come calming stuff isn’t a thing there?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salem is my punks favorite prey. What helped build his confidence?

First he needed space from my punk. He needed my punk to drain his energy hunting toys. Salem is safe if he is on or near me. Having a schedule where every afternoon is outside time for my punk, gives my sweet cat time awAy from my punk.

Playing with him and giving him one on one cuddles helped build his confidence. I had to lock my toy hogging punk at first so he could get a chance to play.

In your case because it is so severe I would talk to your vet about putting one or both cats on something like Prozac; then 're-introduce them. I would site swap with them but avoid them seeing each other until a month or two when the Prozac starts working. You can try to wean one or both off the Prozac later.

I wanted to jump and cheer when I saw Salem growl and bat at Dante' s face. It took a long time to get him there. He still reverts to a scared-y cat sometimes. It takes trial and error but you can get there.