Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned meds he's on - they all haves Side effects. And yes some meds cause he very thing they are supposed to treat. For instance some meds given to treat dysrhythmias do cause them as well. I didn't hear you mention lately about him being on any probiotic or enzymes to help with digestion. Is he on any?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie takes Proviable probiotic nightly. He has for a while

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Virtually all drugs (including herbs) have "side effects."  It only means that they don't do just one thing.

In humans, it has been noted that one "side effect" of Metformin (a diabetes medication) seems to be longer life, more so than can be accounted for by simply controlling diabetes.  They are now investigating Metformin as a possible longevity drug for people who aren't diabetic.  (Not all side effects are bad things.)  Marijuana is used as a recreational drug, but it also has the notorious side effect of giving users "the munchies."  Valium also has this side effect in cats, though it's more limited than the marijuana side effect in humans.

I don't know what the mechanism is that the motility drugs use; that might give you a clue to why they cause constipation, or it might not.

Artie has at least as much cause to feel exhausted as you do; I seriously doubt that it's anything to worry about.  If he's eating, and pooping normally (
) the sleep is probably doing him a lot of good, as are the eating and pooping.  Normal pooping probably means that he's also properly absorbing the nutrition from the food, which is exactly what he should be doing.

It's going to take both you and Artie time to recover from the trauma of excessive drugs while working out what actually works for him.  And that trauma may well recur as Artie's illness changes with age.  But I now believe that Artie will have the time to age.  It won't be easy for either of you, but it will be worth doing.

Margret
I agree with all of the above. He's eating and pooping. That's fantastic!!!  YAY Artie!! 

Still sending out lots of love to Cindy and Artie
along with healing vibes to that sweet little boy. May 2017 be a wonderful year for the both of you

We love both of you!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Artie ate 3 small cans of food in a 24 hour period.. that is awesome for him..

He woke me up at 7 am.. we cuddled for a while. He ate 1 1/2 cans during the night.. his dish was licked clean.

He was waiting for food but only licked at the juice. 

I found a small piece of poop in his box. it looked a bit harder to me, but I will wait and see what occurs tomorrow before I fret.

I was lying down on the coach, watching TV, and dozing last night. I was covered in his quilt. Artie came over and cuddled with me until I went to bed..sweet, boy..  

I will be seeing if he wants to get brushed a bit. 

Right now he is curled up at the opposite end of the coach, sleeping.. sweet thing..

I think I will ask the Tech, Sarah to come over on Wednesday Morning for the fluids.. I will try to do them this time..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am happy about the amount of food he is eating...the poops are the question. If he gets backed up, he will not eat.. and then we go through this cycle again.. so I am monitoring him; perhaps a bit too closely

Sarah is coming over on Wednesday, before work, to help me with the sub-q's... I just confirmed it. 

Artie wanted to be brushed today.. I got so much fur off of him.. I weighed him and he is at 10.29 lbs.. stable.. and we did cuddle for a bit.. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's such great news that Artie is eating and cuddling.  It sounds like he's feeling so much better.  I understand why you are worried about him being constipated, though, so don't think you are monitoring him too closely.  

Such happiness that he actually gained some weight!  

[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will happily take whatever good news you have for us, and the fact that Artie is eating and holding his weight is wonderful!  I understand why you are so concerned about his potty habits.  With his history, you almost have to be hyper vigilant.  .  HUGS to you both!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so nice to hear that Artie is continuing to eat & poop. We all know how important that is. It sounds like you both just needed a good day of rest after everything. 

It's also good news that he is holding his weight. 

I continue to keep you both in my prayers! 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm loving the fact Artie wants to be groomed, cuddled and is eating and all "habits" continue on a normal path.

I hope you are taking care of yourself as well.

Not sure if you're still into TCM and all the old movies, but tonight is one of my fave's, East of Eden with James Dean.

Enjoy your sweet boy.

We're all thinking about you.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie just pooped. He had a hard time-- 4 inches and dry. I gave him 1 mg of lactose. Poor baby. Getting concerned again he did not eat as well as he has been. Guess he is getting constipated again. Sigh. I pray not.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie just pooped. He had a hard time-- 4 inches and dry. I gave him 1 mg of lactose. Poor baby. Getting concerned again he did not eat as well as he has been. Guess he is getting constipated again. Sigh. I pray not.
His tummy went through a lot with the loose stool.  I would imagine like a person, it may take a day or two to bounce back. 

Hang in there.  Tomorrow's another day.  xo

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His tummy went through a lot with the loose stool.  I would imagine like a person, it may take a day or two to bounce back. 

Hang in there.  Tomorrow's another day.  xo
I agree. I know it's hard, but try not to get too worried just yet.
Hopefully it will balance out.
I don't remember if you answered before when I asked about giving him a little pumpkin. Have you tried that?
I know it's easy to worry when things have been up & down.
When Angel went through the cystitis, I hovered by the litter box too, always checking the amount of pee.
Hopefully the meds you gave will help him level out & become a little more balanced between the two. At least it was a good size that came out. It's more out of his system now, so hopefully his tummy will feel better & he will eat a little more, but he's been eating pretty good lately, so that's good.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You @2Cats4everLoved  and @Angels mommy

You are absolutely correct!!  I woke up to find 2 more hard small pieces in the box, along with a ton of pudding poop! 

I guess the harder pieces were from when I stopped the Miralax for a couple of days.. that was a while ago, so his transit time is very long.. sigh....

I was just panicking.. sorry..

I did think of how sore his little bum must be.. he went through so much.. 2 enemas, a physical exam down there, and constant diarrhea.. anything more than pudding must be torture for him.. poor baby.. I cannot imagine how I would feel after going through all of that...

Thinking that I am just a bit over anxious.. Today is also my dad's anniversary. It was 5 years ago this morning, just before 3am... I was with my dad an holding his hand. I am certain of the time. 

Strange; I automatically woke up around 3 AM this morning.. it was automatic.. and I did not sleep well.. I am going to church this morning, do an errand, and then home. I may try to take a nap..

Five years sounds so long ago, but it seems so recent. This year, the days of the week corresponded to the same days 5 years ago..or at least I think.. it is all so familiar.. I miss my dad a lot.. I miss talking to him. 

Artie woke me up the same time as the alarm went off. He wanted food. He ate 2 1/4 cans yesterday..mostly juice but he ate.. 

This morning, I gave him some NV Rabbit... he wanted the Pride rabbit.. I will wait a bit and see if he eats it.. right now it is a game of wills..

Oh, @Angels mommy   I tried the pumpkin, years ago.. Artie refused all foods with it..I tried the canned and the baby food squash.. he does not like people food.. sigh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.